Internet/Phone socket

boniouk

Aug 17, 2010
Hi there,
How would my friend go about getting an extra internet/phone point in her spare room. She has tried the phone and internet company but they just say she has to do it herself or get a technician, but she can't find anyone to do it. She is in the san francisco de macoris area and needs it urgently.

thanks

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Have you looked into a wireless option for both phone and internet?

boniouk

Aug 17, 2010
Well phone isnt that important, its mainly laptop use so the internet socket was the priority. She called her service provider for phone and internet and the cost almost doubles for the internet to be wireless. However im from the uk myself and over here, if you want wireless u just buy a wireless router and use that, they cant tell what router u use and so charge a set fee. not sure how they can tell there? but they said its more for wireless.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Have you looked into a wireless option for both phone and internet?
Good suggestion, the best one.

But to answer the OP's question, just run a regularly wired phone line to the room and add the phone/ADSL splitter to the phone plug-in. It's an easy task almost any electrician can perform.

If the phone wasn't necessary, put an ethernet splitter in the ethernet jack on the modem and run a long ethernet cable into the room; the end plugs into the computer.

boniouk

Aug 17, 2010
thanks, what are the phone and internet sockets there anyway? same as ethernet? or rj45? i have no idea. thanks for ur help guys!!

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Well phone isnt that important, its mainly laptop use so the internet socket was the priority. She called her service provider for phone and internet and the cost almost doubles for the internet to be wireless. However im from the uk myself and over here, if you want wireless u just buy a wireless router and use that, they cant tell what router u use and so charge a set fee. not sure how they can tell there? but they said its more for wireless.

I think they may be referring to the wireless internet provided by the cellular network, which can be expensive.

If you already have internet at the property, then all you need to do is buy a wireless router and connect it to your modem. There would be no extra charge for doing that, you're just sharing the connection wirelessly.

boniouk

Aug 17, 2010
I think they may be referring to the wireless internet provided by the cellular network, which can be expensive.

If you already have internet at the property, then all you need to do is buy a wireless router and connect it to your modem. There would be no extra charge for doing that, you're just sharing the connection wirelessly.

I thought exactly the same, but she called her company, who provide internet and landline phone. (not mobile) and they said they charge extra for wireless internet, how would they even know?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
thanks, what are the phone and internet sockets there anyway? same as ethernet? or rj45? i have no idea. thanks for ur help guys!!

Telephone is supplied via an RJ11 socket. If you don't already have DSL, you will need a broadband filter as well as a modem. Connect the lead of the filter into the socket and then connect your phone and modem cables into the splitter where it says "tel / dsl"

You will need an RJ45 ethernet cable to connect your modem to your router.

boniouk

Aug 17, 2010
Ok thanks for ur help guys. At the moment, im thinking the best idea would be to just buy a cheap wireless router and see if it works without even letting her company know? what you think?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I thought exactly the same, but she called her company, who provide internet and landline phone. (not mobile) and they said they charge extra for wireless internet, how would they even know?

It still sounds like your friend is asking for wireless internet, by definition to the provider, providing an internet connection via a radio signal.

They are currently providing an internet connection via a wire. There is nothing stopping you from sharing that connection via your own radio (wireless router).

As you rightly say, "How would they know?"

boniouk

Aug 17, 2010
It still sounds like your friend is asking for wireless internet, by definition to the provider, providing an internet connection via a radio signal.

They are currently providing an internet connection via a wire. There is nothing stopping you from sharing that connection via your own radio (wireless router).

As you rightly say, "How would they know?"

but they say she is paying 800 pesos for hardwired, and its 1200 for wireless. they make that sound like its 400 on top for it to be wireless. not a different service altogether?

altho.... i wasnt aware they even provided wireless via satellite? they dont in uk

Last edited:

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Is she with Claro/Codetel?

In any case, I would just buy a wireless router, connect it myself and keep schtum!:speechles;)

boniouk

Aug 17, 2010
Is she with Claro/Codetel?

In any case, I would just buy a wireless router, connect it myself and keep schtum!:speechles;)

Codetel yeah, she called them again, they advised over $100 for antenna and that was out the question straight away. and they have said yet again, the cost is currently $35 for her internet, but goes up to $50 a month if she wants it wireless. I dont see how they can charge for that. stupid.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
just buy the router and it will work... this sounds like yet another Codetel logic/stupidity... A cheap router costs from 1500 rds onwards... Good luck.

boniouk

Aug 17, 2010
Thanks very much, altho im not sure how confident she wud be in setting up a wireless router. Getting someone to hardwire in an extension might be alot easier and cheaper as a one off fee.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Claro has modems that connect direct and also give a wireless signal. I have one. I got it for free from a service tech.

boniouk

Aug 17, 2010
Well because her father also uses the hardwired modem, i think shes wary of changing it to a wireless one. If she could use something which stayed hardwired to the pc, then gave wireless to her laptop, much easier. I aint got a clue though coz im other side of the world, driving us both mad tho, codetel appear to be thiefs

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we have a claro internet and wireless modem. modem came free (special offer) but normally it costs 1000 pesos, apparently. but you do not pay any more monthy for your internet.