books in English for school

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
Good evening.. I've been to the DR many times. I often used to bring clothing and goods for a poor family I knew - that has eased off a bit as they are now doing fine.. meantime someone gave me 3 small crates of beautiful hard-backed English kids' books- big letters, animals, some furry-etc , some even with talking pages.. but all in English.. they are in great condition. Nora the explorer and all that .. they were so excited giving them to me to give to the DR- obviously not thinking they speak SPANISH there..nonetheless I took them. It is a shame to throw them out- they are superb and I would love to bring them and take them to a school there where maybe they could help teach English. Even in the area I go they have the "La Caleta English school" not much though a few benches and a blackboard -not much else. From what I;'ve seen so far, English isn ;t a priority in school- only in a business sense for older people to use in their jobs... any suggestions apart from throwing them out- or giving them to a charity here....?

Reactions: mike l

genistar

Jul 29, 2009
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Don't throw them away! If you can't find a charity that would make good use of them (and I sincerely doubt it for the reasons you already stated), message me. I'd be interested. I don't have kids yet but one day soon :). Plus I have nephews and nieces - some of them have expressed an interest in learning English. I'll be in Santo Domingo in September. I'll send you my contact info in a private message.

umea

Sep 28, 2006
English books

In Puerto Plata there is a non-profit resource center for English teachers. It is in The Meeting Place (an intercultural center)iclose to Central Park. They would, I know, be very interested in children's books. They are in the process of establishing a center where public teachers could come to upgrade their skills and find materials for students in their classes. You could contact them at englishbooks@meetingplace-dr.com.

Yes, you are right that English has a low priority in the standard schools. Unfortunate since English is so much the language of technology and tourism.