Thread: Haitian Architecture Affected By Earthquake

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Haitian Architecture Affected By Earthquake

The Dominican based Archivos de Arquitectura Antillana magazine, as the name suggest, is about Caribbean architecture - with emphasis on Dominican architecutre for obvious reasons - has published a well detailed set of documents produced by ISPAN concerning Haiti's architectural patrimony that was affected by the earthquake.

Everything is in French. Click on the 12 bulletin links to download the PDF files.

Documentación producida por el ISPAN sobre el patrimonio cultural haitiano, perdido en el sismo del 12 de enero 2010.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully they will be able to rebuild those historic sights.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NALs View Post
    The Dominican based Archivos de Arquitectura Antillana magazine, as the name suggest, is about Caribbean architecture - with emphasis on Dominican architecutre for obvious reasons - has published a well detailed set of documents produced by ISPAN concerning Haiti's architectural patrimony that was affected by the earthquake.

Everything is in French. Click on the 12 bulletin links to download the PDF files.

Documentación producida por el ISPAN sobre el patrimonio cultural haitiano, perdido en el sismo del 12 de enero 2010.
    the link did not work for me, Nals....

I know of the loss of the public buildings such as the Palace and the
    Episcopal Cathedral - which had some of the greatest murals from Haiti's premier artists....

but the reports are that most of the Gingerbread (Victorian?) houses - which are still to be found both in PauP and - primarily- in Jacmel, survived very well...... Something about the wood construction!! which swayed!!

(I was pleased by this news since all the Europeans that I know have nothing but contempt for all our wooden homes in the US!!)