AeroAmbulancia dot com... are they for real?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Driving down Duarte Hwy, one can see big bill board ads for a company which suggest some sort of chopper emergency-airlifting insurance.
Their name is AeroAmbulancia dot com (no need to risk posting a link, right?).

I checked their web site and the plans are not all to well explained on there, but seem incredibly cheap: 49 to 119 PESOS a month! At that rate... well, why not?
But has anybody actually seen these choppers, have they been seen landing at a crash site, near a home or at a hospital?
Are they for real?

... J-D.

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
Seriously??

This company has become big and well respected over the past year. They're doing tie-ups with a lot of the major insurers now too on the higher plans.

Yes its cheap on the face of it, but chances of a call out are slim.

They've got a decent fleet of copters and trained professionals and can make it anywhere in the DR in less than 30 minutes apparently..

Yes, we got it. It comes with specific stickers to put on the car for people to identify and call up in the event of the worst happening.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
It's not a good sign if your taking a Helicopter to the hospital..nice to have though

Driving down Duarte Hwy, one can see big bill board ads for a company which suggest some sort of chopper emergency-airlifting insurance.
Their name is AeroAmbulancia dot com (no need to risk posting a link, right?).

I checked their web site and the plans are not all to well explained on there, but seem incredibly cheap: 49 to 119 PESOS a month! At that rate... well, why not?
But has anybody actually seen these choppers, have they been seen landing at a crash site, near a home or at a hospital?
Are they for real?

... J-D.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nq-dNsSp4GA?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nq-dNsSp4GA?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Hey you know how it goes......you get what you pay for, BUT I have to admit, this chopper looks ok to me.........I was expecting worse....;)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I saw some of their birds on the pad near Bavaro. They looked like modern Bell Jet Rangers. I couldn't see the exhaust stack so I don't know which model.

From what I read, the plans are per person, per month. The RD$49 plan is auto accident only, the RD$119 is all risk.

I assume they have run their numbers based on actuarial tables and real statistics since it clearly is insurance. But seems like a deal to me.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
maybe someone should test it and see if it works?

i tested an emergency security response firm in santiago a few years ago, that was supposed to send armed guys over within 15 mins for a monthly fee if your alarm went off. i don't remember the specifics, but one time they took ~60 mins to arrive, and another time didn't show up at all.

after that i cancelled the service. there wasn't any point discussing with them; this was how they ran their business, despite advertising promises to the contrary.

this is obviously a health related service so it shouldn't be played with; but you may want to find a legitimate way to try it in real world circumstances to see how it plays out.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I don't know them,
but did anyone here on the Bord ever deal with them?
sounds like a bargain extra to the insurance to me, for such services a 119 pesos per month extra to my Platinum Plan at ARS Humano would be just a 3.3% of additional cost to me to my med insurance Plan.
do they have offices somewhere in the bavaro/PC area?
let the info flow guys
cheers
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
o.k.,
just been on their website and saw that they also work with ARS Humano, which is my own medic insurer, so during the next days I will pass by their office here in Bavaro to get some info of services/inclusions etc.
I will come back here to pass it on.
Mike

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
I don't know them,
but did anyone here on the Bord ever deal with them?
sounds like a bargain extra to the insurance to me, for such services a 119 pesos per month extra to my Platinum Plan at ARS Humano would be just a 3.3% of additional cost to me to my med insurance Plan.
do they have offices somewhere in the bavaro/PC area?
let the info flow guys
cheers
Mike

I believe Helidosa have Emergency Medical choppers also, now they are in our area Mike, now im not sure if they have a monthly plan as such, but it maybe worth finding out?

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm well i just looked on their site and nothing so maybe i am confused...wouldnt be the first time ;)

Laura,
on the website provided in the OP Helidosa is mentioned, I am just not sure if it is the same Helidosa that we have here in bavaro.
yes, Helidosa here is doing also medical flights, on the usual payments at least, but I don't know if they are involved in any med flights plan or even in the chopper company as a part of their fleet or such.
I will pass the ARS Humano office during the next days and ask about their involvement and Plan inclusions with that company, and also about where the next Heli is standing by here in the area, in case I would ever need one.
even that I personally say that in case of med insurances of course the One with the best bang for the Buck is the One that we pay duing all our life and never get out anything of them, because we simply never needed them, ha ha.
Mike

E

engineerfg

maybe someone should test it and see if it works?

i tested an emergency security response firm in santiago a few years ago, that was supposed to send armed guys over within 15 mins for a monthly fee if your alarm went off. i don't remember the specifics, but one time they took ~60 mins to arrive, and another time didn't show up at all.

after that i cancelled the service. there wasn't any point discussing with them; this was how they ran their business, despite advertising promises to the contrary.

this is obviously a health related service so it shouldn't be played with; but you may want to find a legitimate way to try it in real world circumstances to see how it plays out.

I have the same problem with my Alarm company. Alarm Pro - 2 false alarms, both times they showed up 3 hours later. Gee thanks for the speedy service gumshoe!

As for the helicopters, it's quiet a comment on the sad state of traffic in this city, when people are contemplating a helicopter solution over an ambulance. Nobody in this city pulls over for ambulances!

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
And did they shout "QUIEN MI HABLA?" down the phone and then hang up when you said your name? ha ha

haha, very dominican :)

but no, the guy who called sounded like a real pro. i told him it was a wrong number and that was it. (posting this right away so others don't need to call).

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
It's Helidosa with a paint scheme, an insurance contract and a Bell 206 as far as I can tell. Not a bad thing for the island if they respond in emergencies. I wouldn't wanna be in a vehicular ambulance in a real emergency, as previously stated. Too many illegal sirens clearing roads for nothing, so nobody pays attention. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
haha, very dominican :)

but no, the guy who called sounded like a real pro. i told him it was a wrong number and that was it. (posting this right away so others don't need to call).

thamks for the info,
and Yes,
it would be very stupid of an brainless crowd if we now would all call their emergency number and occupy that while somebody in a real emergency would get the voicemail and need to wait for a callback a minute later.
that callback at least shows that their emergency number is monitored, they register a calling number, and there's a real person on duty monitoring the number.
an other reason to not block caller ID's on your handies, guys,
something I personally hate anyways,
who calls me and I can't see the name or number I principly do not takle the call nor call back after they left a message, lol.
Mike