Minibus wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
wonder if anyone can help.

We are looking for a minibus, reasonable price but also reasonable condition (which doesn't seem to be an easy combination to find here). We will have a Toyota Corolla for sale or trade in/part exchange for the bus but cannot sell the car until we have something else lined up. It is for a growing school transport service:

IMAG0083.jpg

The bus in the photos on the website is the kind of thing we are looking for.

Thanks for any help you can give. My husband has scoured the country but no joy so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Call the radio dispatcher Taxi co. I heard that the minibus drivers are struggling right now.
try calling Emi taxi Santiago (809-583-3000) I was told that some of the minibus drivers want to switch to regular car as the big number of minibus units in this company, all the vehicles in this co. are in good shape
I'm pretty sure that you will get a trade of your car for a minibus very easy as it is a Toyota Corolla.

JJ

Last edited:

whiskylee

May 13, 2007
Have you looked on Supercarros website ?

We are looking for a car to buy if you want to you could send me details of your Toyota Corolla

Thanks

Whiskylee

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Just a little warning here:

School bus drivers are organized in a "union" which is licensed by the OTT.
You should ask your school which drivers are "authorized".
Yes you could strike a deal with a "pirata" but he might run into problems with the transport union (transport unions have a reputation of defending their turf quite fiercely!), the Police (who is authorized by the OTT to STOP pirates, have the kids out of the vehicle and seek alternate transportation.

Schools CAN have their OWN transportation, but the transport unions don't like to see it and may react in ways which may seem rather disproportionate. Even hotels have faces such issues when running hotel owned buses for their guest and employee pick ups.

Even when the going get too tough, it will be VERY difficult to get the authorities to protect you from the unions.

... J-D.

Reactions: Lucille

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Thank You

Thanks for all your help. We will contact EMI taxis.

I will send details of the Toyota by PM, but we cannot sell until we have found a replacement. I think he has looked at Supercarros but will check.

Thanks for the warning but we appreciate the position with the unions. My husband is a paid up member etc and keen to see things regulated properly. He is already working providing school transport using the car, but we have the possibility to take on more students but no space, hence the need for a bus.

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Back to the drawing board?

We followed up with EMI taxis, ringing at different times of day to verify the information given first time around, and both people we spoke to said they had plenty of cars but were trying to exchange for minivans, so they are looking for the same as us, I'm afraid. If anyone needs to contact them, the number is actually 809 581 3000.

Also tried Supercarros, but unless we were missing something it is as it seems, cars but not minibuses....so any other ideas would be much appreciated.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
On the search page of supercarros, click on tipos, and then select minivan. There are over 100 listed, encompassing a wide range of vehicle types, but some would probably suit your needs. You may also find some listed as furgoneta.

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
I really appreciate your help. My husband had missed that but we've taken a look and unfortunately nothing suitable or affordable! We will persevere, so if anyone hears of anything please let us know. A Hyundai or something similar, 1995 to about 2003, would be perfect.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I really appreciate your help. My husband had missed that but we've taken a look and unfortunately nothing suitable or affordable! We will persevere, so if anyone hears of anything please let us know. A Hyundai or something similar, 1995 to about 2003, would be perfect.
I'll call some of the drivers of the sindicate I belong to in Santiago city "FETAXI" federacion de taxistas de Santiago.

JJ

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
I hear a Sosua based school bus union is planning to import a large number of Chinese made minibuses with Toyota or Mitsubishi (?) engines, which would sell for less than half a million DOP FINANCED for 5 years with monthly payments around 5000 Pesos.

... J-D.

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Thanks very much for that info. My husband is a member of the Sosua union and he had heard something to that effect but the price is still more than we were hoping to pay but may be worth it if the financing terms are fair. We will investigate further. Really appreciate the interest and assistance.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I hear a Sosua based school bus union is planning to import a large number of Chinese made minibuses with Toyota or Mitsubishi (?) engines, which would sell for less than half a million DOP FINANCED for 5 years with monthly payments around 5000 Pesos.

... J-D.

which would make a total of around 300,000 pesos... how old are these minibuses?

could be interested, as we are asked all over the island for shows with our dogs...

and my guess is, the more the merrier?

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
I hadn't worked out the rate, just saw the 5 millions pesos and squirmed, but that doesn't sound so bad after all, especially if it includes the interest.

My husband is going to enquire. I'll ask him to find out if they might be able to include people outside of the union, as long as they weren't pirates (I know that is hard to regulate, but maybe if you showed them the dogs!) They're not those gorgeous big poodles by any chance, are they? I haven't seen any other show dogs here.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
which would make a total of around 300,000 pesos... how old are these minibuses?

could be interested, as we are asked all over the island for shows with our dogs...

and my guess is, the more the merrier?

I would guess there could be a down payment? I was told it would be less than half a million! How much less? Dunno! Exact terms? Ha! I doubt THEY will really know before it's too late! :D
I don't know. The issue came up briefly during a discussion I had with the president of a local school transport union about "piratas" (non-unionized drivers) trying to get in on the "action" in La Union.
Since I am not really looking forward to drive a minibus, I only briefly recommend to have TOYOTA (Delta Comercial) look into these Chinese buses said to have Toyota engines, before they buy "perro por chivo" :D and moved the discussion towards other issues I wanted resolved.

... J-D

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

... J-D.
I dunno, JD, but something doesn't sound right.

Normal financing terms for autos, trucks and motos UNLESS you happen to catch a "special":
  • Banks-22-28% (MOL,saw this posted at both Ban Reservas and Banco BHD yesterday)
  • Financieras-3-3.5% per month. Yes. 3-3.5% per month. Not a misprint. If you get less, you're paying the interest in the pruchase price, this straight from a good sized financiera's mouth.

That RD$500,000 vehicle financed @ a financiera for 60 months will cost around RD$15,900 MOL per month. RD$5,000 sounds like misprint. Can't be.

Besides, even witha Toyota engine, the only thing remaining iof a Chinese truck after 60 months would be the engine.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
I dunno, JD, but something doesn't sound right.
Now that wouldn't be a surprise, right?

Normal financing terms for autos, trucks and motos UNLESS you happen to catch a "special":
  • Banks-22-28% (MOL,saw this posted at both Ban Reservas and Banco BHD yesterday)
  • Financieras-3-3.5% per month. Yes. 3-3.5% per month. Not a misprint. If you get less, you're paying the interest in the pruchase price, this straight from a good sized financiera's mouth.

That RD$500,000 vehicle financed @ a financiera for 60 months will cost around RD$15,900 MOL per month. RD$5,000 sounds like misprint. Can't be.

Besides, even witha Toyota engine, the only thing remaining iof a Chinese truck after 60 months would be the engine.

Misprint, CB? I haven't seen ANYTHING printed, CB, and I doubt "they" have. TIDR!

From what I am told this is a "deal" being worked out with the OTT (Transportation dept.), customs and the school transport union(s).
I would not be surprised to find out that there would be some sort of tax or duty relief and maybe a foreign subsidized (interest free) "loan" (one of these things the gov. will never pay back and pocket what ever they can make of the union drivers?).

Besides, car loans start around 11% sometimes now even a tad bellow 10%, but that's if you are "gente", so it's not accessible to the majority. :surprised

Anyway, as we now both agree, now WE "dunno". :)

I think, that if the OP is indeed a school bus transport union member, it's something worth while looking into... HE can read, if there ever is something in print besides "firme aqui".

... J-D.

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
That's exactly what we would need to do and very carefully. Problem is we have more potential passengers than spaces in the car for the start of term (good position to be in in some ways) so were trying to change the vehicle before the start of school. Have been looking for months, all around the country, but it isn't an easy task, especially when you have a fixed budget.

Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Besides, car loans start around 11% sometimes now even a tad bellow 10%, but that's if you are "gente", so it's not accessible to the majority. :surprised

... J-D.
True

And from what I have found out through very connected sources is that "gente" here can be quantified, MOL, as average monthly bank cash deposits in excess of RD$6,000,000, an unencumbered homestead vaule in excess of RD$3,700,000 and a verifiable monthly income generated IN the DR, verified in tax forms, in excess of RD$150,000.

Pretty stiff criteria, indeed...:surprised

Status
Not open for further replies.