Share your favourite secret places with the world

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Dont be afraid we wont come and spoil it lol

I would like to start a thread - what is your favourite place that may not be known by the average tourist visiting the Dominican Republic for the first time ?

Reactions: Lucille

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I would also like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony......but its probably not going to happen

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Here is my favorite place:

2v8n62f.jpg

The Sierra de Bahoruco - second biggest moutain range in the DR.

By the way JR, Matilda's Mum says congratulations on your new position.

Matilda

Reactions: Lucille

sollie

Jul 30, 2006
There's a restaurant ten or fifteen miles before you get to Monti Cristi on the left that serves goat that has browsed on local sage. The best BBQ goat I have ever had. Other than that, the beaches around Monti Cristi that you can only access by boat. A days worth of day dreaming.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
where are they ? is it a secret lol
According to the picture titles:

The second one is Botanical Gardens and the fourth one is Rainbow at Cayo Levantado.

My secret place is the pot-of-gold on the other side of the water in the 4rd picture. ;) lol

t9d26v.gif

SantiagoDR

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
According to the picture titles:

The second one is Botanical Gardens and the fourth one is Rainbow at Cayo Levantado.

My secret place is the pot-of-gold on the other side of the water in the 4rd picture. ;) lol

t9d26v.gif

SantiagoDR
Well done Don!

The first is Lago Azul just east of La Entrada, the second is the Botanical Gardens in the capital, awesome place, the third is Playa Diamonte, the "wet beach", very unique and before La Entrada and the last is Cayo Levantado, marvelous place to lounge around for a day...

May 29, 2006
I went on the teleferraco(?) in POP many years ago, but I haven't been able to visit it when it was open in the last ten years. At the top was a great garden and it was much cooler than the city. I'm surprized though that I hear of very few tourists going up there, but it is quite nice. I especially remember seeing hundreds of Zebra Heliconian butterflies there:

zebra-150x150.jpg

I was last there over 20 years ago with my dad and we had a long wait to get back down, so we decided to take the "short cut" down what appeared to be an access road to POP. Well, two or three hours later we finally got back to town after about a four mile hike and 20 mile car ride(?) on back roads. When we had walked down the steep road for a bit, it took a left turn and came out on the other side of the mountain. We were lucky to get back by dark....

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I really liked a small beach close to SD. Unfortunately I forgot its name.:( Maybe someone can help me. It is really small, but waves are large and strong. There is a cafeteria on the shore. That was the very first beach I went to on my very first trip to the Dominican Republic. Maybe that is why it remained in my memory as one of the best places.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I really liked a small beach close to SD. Unfortunately I forgot its name.:( Maybe someone can help me. It is really small, but waves are large and strong. There is a cafeteria on the shore. That was the very first beach I went to on my very first trip to the Dominican Republic. Maybe that is why it remained in my memory as one of the best places.

The beach with the best waves, close to SD, is Embassy Beach [Playa Caribe], not big, in kind of a cove with high walls on both sides.... Does that sound like it? It's past Boca Chica, before Guyacanes.

AE

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
The beach with the best waves, close to SD, is Embassy Beach [Playa Caribe], not big, in kind of a cove with high walls on both sides.... Does that sound like it? It's past Boca Chica, before Guyacanes.

AE

I love that place as well. Many well to do Dominicans go there on Sundays.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006

AE

Exactly!!!!! Thank you very much! I took a bus there from SD and was really impressed by the waves. This is my very first and most favorite beach in the DR!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Have you seen it lately? Everything has been torn down around the beach, and there's still lots of rubble spread all around.

I liked it before anything was built there, but that was a looong time ago.

You're right, it's been a mess for a couple of years with the debris. Hopefully it will bounce back once it's cleaned up and rebuilt, it IS a lovely location.

I, too, remember the old days, I went the first time in 1975. Paradise.

AE