Lifespan on everything is cut by 75%

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
It seems whatever I buy here has a much shorter lifespan than the same product is suposed to or would have or has had elsewhere. From my Adidas trainers and paying 3500pesos, then they fall apart in 6 months, to going through 2 Infanti baby strollers in a year at a cost of 13000pesos, a cot that lasted 8 months at a cost of 10000pesos and then a waterproof cover for the matress of my daughters little bed that turned out to not be waterproof, wetting the matress trying to wash it and then that falling apart in a record 3 months, and now having trouble finding a matress to fit the odd shaped/sized infant bed we got at 12000pesos and so I expect we are off to buy a new trainer bed today at more cost. What else has its life cropped because it is here and not somewhere else?
The quality and lifespan of IKEA products looks good at this moment, even though some say stuff falls apart quickly.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
It seems whatever I buy here has a much shorter lifespan than the same product is suposed to or would have or has had elsewhere. From my Adidas trainers and paying 3500pesos, then they fall apart in 6 months..

You will see lots of fake trainers (gym shoes) here.

To be assured you are buying a genuine article, you either have to go to the Adidas, Puma etc stores or order online via Zappos, Amazon (reputable store) etc.

Reactions: mike l

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
also you may find that the glue used in original shoes may not stand up to tropical humidity- so basically you pay your money and take a chance , if you find one you like , buy 16 pairs

Mariot

Oct 13, 2009
also you may find that the glue used in original shoes may not stand up to tropical humidity- so basically you pay your money and take a chance , if you find one you like , buy 16 pairs

i noticed that, in the timespan of one year, all my electronic devices that i brought broke. i attributed that to them succumbing to tropical humidity.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
i noticed that, in the timespan of one year, all my electronic devices that i brought broke. i attributed that to them succumbing to tropical humidity.

That and uneven electricity....

Life itself is shorter here by about 25%.....

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Shoes and bed wetting, I thought....;);):bunny:

But you are correct - the glue is the problem with the shoes - even original (non-fake) shoes.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
You will see lots of fake trainers (gym shoes) here.

To be assured you are buying a genuine article, you either have to go to the Adidas, Puma etc stores or order online via Zappos, Amazon (reputable store) etc.
A plug for Amazon:

4 months ago I bought what I thought were tough rubber-soled hiking shoes from Amazon.

In a nutshell, they literally fell apart in 4 months, very disappointing, and were 90 days outside Amazon's return policy.

I wrote Amazon to express my disappointment and attached a picture and salesorder number. I also explained that I probably wouldn't have shipped them back because the cost would have been close to US$50, a tad less than I paid for the shoes in the first place.

Within 8 hours they emailed back, apologizing, and said my credit card would be credited 100% of the price on a "one time basis", and I wouldn't have to send the shoes back.

I never expected that. I will buy a replacement pair from them.

Amazon.com, kudos.

Reactions: ExtremeR

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
A plug for Amazon:

4 months ago I bought what I thought were tough rubber-soled hiking shoes from Amazon.

In a nutshell, they literally fell apart in 4 months, very disappointing, and were 90 days outside Amazon's return policy.

I wrote Amazon to express my disappointment and attached a picture and salesorder number. I also explained that I probably wouldn't have shipped them back because the cost would have been close to US$50, a tad less than I paid for the shoes in the first place.

Within 8 hours they emailed back, apologizing, and said my credit card would be credited 100% of the price on a "one time basis", and I wouldn't have to send the shoes back.

I never expected that. I will buy a replacement pair from them.

Amazon.com, kudos.

Amazon is great in handling disputes.

I shop from them all the time and they are highly recommended.

I buy plenty of books for school at great prices.

Reactions: mike l and Lucille

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Yes the weather is cruel in DR, in less than three years here in the US I went from waist 32 to 36 in pants and my skin is smooth now.
I loose 20 pounds this summer, wont make the mistake to be stuck in the house eating like crazy next winter.
That is the good about the hot weather keep you sweating toxinas and burning calories.

JJ

Reactions: mike l and Celt202

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Life itself is shorter here by about 25%.....

Did you read that somewhere pedro? I'd love to see some data on DR life expectancy.

I was always under the impression that people lived longer there than, for example, in the US. Three of my husband's 4 grandparents hit 100 [one from Navarrette was 106], his dad lived to almost 93 with untreated diabetes and heart disease, his mom will be 90 in a couple of months and I can't keep up with her! Her sister is 97 and still a spitfire.

In my case, my grandparents [all born Italy, all died New York] died at 63, 64, 68 and 92. Not looking so good for me :ermm:

I was counting on retiring there and inhaling whatever seems to keep folks alive there longer.

AE

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Did you read that somewhere pedro? I'd love to see some data on DR life expectancy.

AE

Your wish is my command Oh Mod.

These are the 2000 figures for men and women combined

Haiti 49.2 years
DR 73.2
USA 77.1
UK 77.7

Points to note are that Pedro might be in Haiti atm so might be talking about there, and once again Uk beats USA!!!!!! lol

The full report is here

World Life Expectancy Chart

Matilda

PS sorry for going off topic other mod - forgot his name

Reactions: Tamborista

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002

Haiti 49.2 years
DR 73.2
USA 77.1
UK 77.7

Points to note are that Pedro might be in Haiti atm so might be talking about there, and once again Uk beats USA!!!!!! lol

The full report is here

World Life Expectancy Chart

Matilda

PS sorry for going off topic other mod - forgot his name

You kind of skipped Canada which is 79.4 What's the topic again? :laugh:

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Men or women?

And according to the BBC (who always tell the truth - come on! They are British and we play cricket!) Haiti is 59 (for men) not 49...
70 years for men in the D.R. according to the Beeb....

Anyway, I was just making a point - me, I'm gonna live forever!!!

Back to shoes and bed wetting, I think.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'm actually glad to read this thread, because from day one in 1975 I've always see that things don't last in DR. For a long time I thought that his family just didn't take care of things, even clothes seem to wear out faster. [I think the hot sun on the clothes lines might damage the fabrics. ] I agree the electric spurts and surges destroys a lot of electrical items.

My husband likes his coffee made from whole beans ground fresh, and it seemed that every time we went we had to bring his mother another electric coffee grinder. They're cheap [$10-15] so it wasn't a big deal. One trip my husband decided he was going to try to fix the last one. He gave up and I picked it up [don't ask me why, I can't fix anything]. But I immediately noticed how spotlessly clean it was - no coffee residue. I pointed that out to him, and she confirmed that she carefully washed it :cheeky: The poor woman had to listen to a 15 minute lecture on not putting electrical appliances in the dishpan.

AE

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
ask any dominican and he will tell you that if it's broken it is your fault because you bought the "cheap/inferior" item. doesn't matter if it's a can opener (manual) or a mercedes, "you should have bought the "S" class"..........doesn't matter if it comes with instructions in spanish, it will get broken...........

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

This job might be fun after all!

Haiti 49.2 years Yikes
DR 73.2 Not Bad
USA 77.1
UK 77.7

Points to note are that Pedro might be in Haiti atm so might be talking about there, and once again Uk beats USA!!!!!! lol Once again? hmmmmm

Matilda

PS sorry for going off topic other mod - forgot his name Repeat after me: " J - R " :cheeky:

He'll get you for that.... :squareeye

AE

May 24, 2009
www.swellsurfcamp.com
There was a similar thread a while back - I joined in with this info; sorry for repetition, but a fact is a fact after all;

Short version; two of us bought brand new Hewlett Packard PC's from Cecomsa in STI three years ago. Within 3 months (the first within a week) both were broken in one way or another. We lived in different environments. Our friend checked her serial number on the Hewlett Packard website - we did the same when ours broke - both were reject items by HP, i.e. failed final inspection; ended up in the DR, or indeed any country where consumer protection is poor.

We never buy any electrical goods in the DR anymore, save for two weeks ago, we bought a little LED clock from La Sirena POP. This currently gains 10 minutes per day which would not be such a big deal save for the fact that we need to communicate a little better when one of us adjusts the time back to 'normal' :)

Reactions: mike l

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
There was a similar thread a while back - I joined in with this info; sorry for repetition, but a fact is a fact after all;

Short version; two of us bought brand new Hewlett Packard PC's from Cecomsa in STI three years ago. Within 3 months (the first within a week) both were broken in one way or another. We lived in different environments. Our friend checked her serial number on the Hewlett Packard website - we did the same when ours broke - both were reject items by HP, i.e. failed final inspection; ended up in the DR, or indeed any country where consumer protection is poor.

We never buy any electrical goods in the DR anymore, save for two weeks ago, we bought a little LED clock from La Sirena POP. This currently gains 10 minutes per day which would not be such a big deal save for the fact that we need to communicate a little better when one of us adjusts the time back to 'normal' :)

Wow, that's pretty eye-opening. And it makes me pretty angry. The cards are stacked against the Dominicans [and us!] before we walk through the door!

AE