Agente de Cambio advice info?

drgringo

Apr 25, 2009
I need to get a certified cheque issued in the name of an American company, and of course cashable in their USA company account.

I do not have a bank account and nor do I want to set one up for this unique task.
Do the cambio houses issue such cheques, and if so what do they charge?

And any other feedback if known would be great i.e. how long before it clears in USA etc.

I do not want to pay the 50$ to do a cambio bank wire, and the USA company will only accept certified cheques.

Should i be concerned that the cambio house will keep the money, and the cheque never clear? Is there any recommended trusted houses who do this?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Since you do not have a bank account in DR, maybe you could find someone who has a DOLLARS account at a DR bank. You could give them the dollars to deposit, assuming the DR bank can cut a certified check in US dollars.

AE

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
you dont have a bank account of any sort anywhere ? give the equivalent cash to someone who has an account and get them to issue a cheque or obtain a bank cheque ( isnt that the easiest way)

lol........we posted together

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Or you could go with the cash to Banco Santa Cruz and ask them to make out a check inthe name of whoever it is....

HB

Reactions: Lucille

drgringo

Apr 25, 2009
cert cheqs

Appreciate the info but simply,

Does anyone know if cambio houses can cut certified cheqs in the name of USA Companies cashable in USA?
If so, what do they charge and any recommends of reputable houses that will follow through the process and not steal your cash.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Appreciate the info but simply,

Does anyone know if cambio houses can cut certified cheqs in the name of USA Companies cashable in USA?
If so, what do they charge and any recommends of reputable houses that will follow through the process and not steal your cash.

WHY are you fixated on cambio houses??? Hillbilly has given you the name of a BANK whose check will certainly clear. Furthermore, if they want a certified check, that means from a bank!

AE

drgringo

Apr 25, 2009
WHY are you fixated on cambio houses??? Hillbilly has given you the name of a BANK whose check will certainly clear. Furthermore, if they want a certified check, that means from a bank!

AE

Its not a fixation just a question, which has relevance and I am completely aware of what a certified cheque is. Yes there are cambio houses in other latin countries that do this service and they charge a fee for it. This was my simple question. My mistake is i put to much information, which i see can be very detrimental at times on this site, as it opens the door to a 101 opinions rather than answering the question at hand.
Does this bank Hillbilly recommends offer certified cheques without having an account, if so what is the fee.Are they located in SD.
These are my simple questions once again. Am I asking too much here??

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'm guessing [always dangerous] from your spelling of cheque instead of check that you're not American. Bear with me. In the US, a certified check comes from a bank only, and it normally has the words CERTIFIED spelled out across the face in little holes.

Banco Santa Cruz offices in Santo Domingo:

Main Office:
Av. Lope de Vega No. 21
Tel. 809 726 2222 Fax 809 540 6222
contactolopedevega@bsc.com.do

Ozama
Av. Sabana Larga, Casi esq. Carr. Mella
Plaza Ozama, Local 101
Tel. 809 335 2222 Fax 809 592 2121
contactoozama@bsc.com.do

Villa Consuelo
Av. Eusebio Manzueta No. 116
Tel. 809 334 2222 Fax 809 592 2121
contactovillaconsuelo@bsc.com.do

Herrera
Av. Isabel Aguiar #98, Plaza Palmares
Tel. 809 531 2222 Fax 809 537 5354
contactovillaconsuelo@bsc.com.do

Give one of them a call to find out if you need an account. If so, you'll have to find someone, anyone, with a bank account who can do this for you [at any bank]. A certified check probably wouldn't have your name on it, just is an official bank check, so anyone can get it for you. Most banks, I believe, do it for free for depositors.

I don't know how much money is involved, have you considered a bank wire/transfer?

AE