Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do, what to do?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What to do, what to do?

Well, exactly 10 days from now I'll be sitting on the beach in Cabarete! I'm so excited I can hardly contain myself. I've been so excited planning all the things I want to do that I'm worried I may have too much. I want the vacation to be relaxing, not running around trying to get everything done. So I'm wondering what you guys think I should do? If I were your friend, what stuff on the North Coast would you insist I do?

Here are some things I'm interested in:
    *SCUBA (but I'd have to do the "resort dive" type thing, because I'm not certified) Is it worth it?
    *Cabarete caves
    *Damajagua/27 Waterfalls (Do I need to be in great shape to do this? Is it awesome and worth the physical exertion/trip from Cabarete?)
    *2 Day Trip to Las Galeras for snorkeling and Playa Rincon (heard this is the best beach on the island, arguably. Is the 6 hour trek from Cabarete to Las Galeras worth it? Is the snorkeling in Sosua just as good? Is 2 days in Las
    Galeras enough?)
    *Surfing
    *Day trip to Puerto Plata
    *Day trip to Sosua for snorkeling AND to see the infamous ladies (NOT patronize them, of course)

I'll be in Cabarete with my boyfriend from September 1-11, so if you'll be around and want to hang out with us or accompany us on any of our adventures, PM me! Thanks for all your help, this board has been great!
    Anything else I missed

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I recommend doing absolutely nothing at all for a goodly portion of your holiday.

Just sitting there soaking it all up - possibly drinking the odd cocktail if you are feeling energetic.
    Or maybe having your nails done and a massage if you really get a burst of uncontrollable energy.

Oh, that and beating away all the hookers from your man!!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, do as little as possible unless you get there and feel energetic, which will be odd, the heat should drain you enough to put a stop to onland activities for a good part of the first week.
    Must do in Cabarete, learn to Kite.
    What I'd avoid, The 27 falls.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I'd love to kite, but from what I hear it's pretty physically demanding, exhausting, and lessons/equipment are very expensive. So I won't be doing that, although I know I should! Why would you avoid the 27 falls?

I don't really think I'm the "typical" tourist in that I'd like to see some of the country and meet some people, I'm not really into manicures and massages, I can do that at home. But I will take your advice on the relaxing. That is what vacation is for, after all.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

The 27 waterfall are for risk takers. If you are, do it. My children always go as well as bring their friends with them and have a fantastic time. But people have died there, and many on this board and other boards will tell you to stay away from the waterfalls. You will get protective gear but the talk is that the guides there are not well trained to keep you safe.

It is not a good idea to go after many days of rain. The currents could become strong suddenly. Yet, I couldn't convince some family members from going even after heavy rains. They still went and loved the experience. I would still recommend that you make sure that it hadn't rained for at least 3 days before going.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I would go for Las Galeras, plan at least two nights, maybe three, so you get a feel for one of the most breathtaking places on earth. And yet it is "accessible", meaning you can walk just about everywhere.

I would avoid 27 falls, just since it is a fairly dangerous place with little supervision.

I would spend a day in Santiago, just to see the "real Dominican Rep." ....go to Centro Leon and the Monumento and eat a meal up there...drink a few cold Presidentes nearby.

Have fun is most important.

HB

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    I think I would go for Las Galeras, plan at least two nights, maybe three, so you get a feel for one of the most breathtaking places on earth. And yet it is "accessible", meaning you can walk just about everywhere.

I would avoid 27 falls, just since it is a fairly dangerous place with little supervision.

I would spend a day in Santiago, just to see the "real Dominican Rep." ....go to Centro Leon and the Monumento and eat a meal up there...drink a few cold Presidentes nearby.

Have fun is most important.

HB
    I heard that it's now required to wear a helmet and life jacket and have a guide with you to go to the falls. I read that in the Lonely Planet guidebooks. But guidebooks have limitations. Is this information inaccurate?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=EmilyCaldwell;887140]Well, I'd love to kite, but from what I hear it's pretty physically demanding, exhausting, and lessons/equipment are very expensive. So I won't be doing that, although I know I should! Why would you avoid the 27 falls?
    QUOTE]

I think you could probably get a reasonable package arranged for kiting if you speak with the right people on the beach once down there.
    Reason I'd avoid the falls, as others have mentioned it has developed a bit of a name for itself as far as safetly goes. If you watch some of the footage on youtube and know anything about risk assessment then you will spot a mass of potential disasters waiting to happen, but you need to look through the people laughing and having a good time to see it. I am a bit of a risk taker but I don't put my well being in the hands of other who might be incompetant or and ignorant when it comes to broken bones or worst case, my life. A bit dramatic of me but I can't be bothered to be bothered with the risk, if that makes sense.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

See Franz in front of Villa Tiana for Kite. He won't send you out unless you know what your doing. The instructors are pretty hot too. You may forget about you boyfriend getting in his own bit of trouble as well!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, thanks, these are all very helpful suggestions. Perhaps I will look into kiting if I can do it without spending the whole trip budget! And good to know about the falls...I certainly wouldn't want to break a bone out in the middle of nowhere in a country that I'm not familiar with. I don't think you're being dramatic, I mean, nothing wrong with taking risks, but there's no need to be stupid about it. I will ask around when I get there and maybe we will forego the falls and just do the caves, if they are still accessible.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast