What to do, what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmilyCaldwell

Jul 3, 2010
Well, exactly 10 days from now I'll be sitting on the beach in Cabarete! I'm so excited I can hardly contain myself. I've been so excited planning all the things I want to do that I'm worried I may have too much. I want the vacation to be relaxing, not running around trying to get everything done. So I'm wondering what you guys think I should do? If I were your friend, what stuff on the North Coast would you insist I do?

Here are some things I'm interested in:
*SCUBA (but I'd have to do the "resort dive" type thing, because I'm not certified) Is it worth it?
*Cabarete caves
*Damajagua/27 Waterfalls (Do I need to be in great shape to do this? Is it awesome and worth the physical exertion/trip from Cabarete?)
*2 Day Trip to Las Galeras for snorkeling and Playa Rincon (heard this is the best beach on the island, arguably. Is the 6 hour trek from Cabarete to Las Galeras worth it? Is the snorkeling in Sosua just as good? Is 2 days in Las
Galeras enough?)
*Surfing
*Day trip to Puerto Plata
*Day trip to Sosua for snorkeling AND to see the infamous ladies (NOT patronize them, of course)

I'll be in Cabarete with my boyfriend from September 1-11, so if you'll be around and want to hang out with us or accompany us on any of our adventures, PM me! Thanks for all your help, this board has been great!
Anything else I missed

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
I recommend doing absolutely nothing at all for a goodly portion of your holiday.

Just sitting there soaking it all up - possibly drinking the odd cocktail if you are feeling energetic.
Or maybe having your nails done and a massage if you really get a burst of uncontrollable energy.

Oh, that and beating away all the hookers from your man!!

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I agree, do as little as possible unless you get there and feel energetic, which will be odd, the heat should drain you enough to put a stop to onland activities for a good part of the first week.
Must do in Cabarete, learn to Kite.
What I'd avoid, The 27 falls.

EmilyCaldwell

Jul 3, 2010
Well, I'd love to kite, but from what I hear it's pretty physically demanding, exhausting, and lessons/equipment are very expensive. So I won't be doing that, although I know I should! Why would you avoid the 27 falls?

I don't really think I'm the "typical" tourist in that I'd like to see some of the country and meet some people, I'm not really into manicures and massages, I can do that at home. But I will take your advice on the relaxing. That is what vacation is for, after all.

Jan 17, 2009
The 27 waterfall are for risk takers. If you are, do it. My children always go as well as bring their friends with them and have a fantastic time. But people have died there, and many on this board and other boards will tell you to stay away from the waterfalls. You will get protective gear but the talk is that the guides there are not well trained to keep you safe.

It is not a good idea to go after many days of rain. The currents could become strong suddenly. Yet, I couldn't convince some family members from going even after heavy rains. They still went and loved the experience. I would still recommend that you make sure that it hadn't rained for at least 3 days before going.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think I would go for Las Galeras, plan at least two nights, maybe three, so you get a feel for one of the most breathtaking places on earth. And yet it is "accessible", meaning you can walk just about everywhere.

I would avoid 27 falls, just since it is a fairly dangerous place with little supervision.

I would spend a day in Santiago, just to see the "real Dominican Rep." ....go to Centro Leon and the Monumento and eat a meal up there...drink a few cold Presidentes nearby.

Have fun is most important.

HB

EmilyCaldwell

Jul 3, 2010
I think I would go for Las Galeras, plan at least two nights, maybe three, so you get a feel for one of the most breathtaking places on earth. And yet it is "accessible", meaning you can walk just about everywhere.

I would avoid 27 falls, just since it is a fairly dangerous place with little supervision.

I would spend a day in Santiago, just to see the "real Dominican Rep." ....go to Centro Leon and the Monumento and eat a meal up there...drink a few cold Presidentes nearby.

Have fun is most important.

HB

I heard that it's now required to wear a helmet and life jacket and have a guide with you to go to the falls. I read that in the Lonely Planet guidebooks. But guidebooks have limitations. Is this information inaccurate?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Well, I'd love to kite, but from what I hear it's pretty physically demanding, exhausting, and lessons/equipment are very expensive. So I won't be doing that, although I know I should! Why would you avoid the 27 falls?
QUOTE]

I think you could probably get a reasonable package arranged for kiting if you speak with the right people on the beach once down there.
Reason I'd avoid the falls, as others have mentioned it has developed a bit of a name for itself as far as safetly goes. If you watch some of the footage on youtube and know anything about risk assessment then you will spot a mass of potential disasters waiting to happen, but you need to look through the people laughing and having a good time to see it. I am a bit of a risk taker but I don't put my well being in the hands of other who might be incompetant or and ignorant when it comes to broken bones or worst case, my life. A bit dramatic of me but I can't be bothered to be bothered with the risk, if that makes sense.

Scooter

Feb 15, 2002
See Franz in front of Villa Tiana for Kite. He won't send you out unless you know what your doing. The instructors are pretty hot too. You may forget about you boyfriend getting in his own bit of trouble as well!

EmilyCaldwell

Jul 3, 2010
Ok, thanks, these are all very helpful suggestions. Perhaps I will look into kiting if I can do it without spending the whole trip budget! And good to know about the falls...I certainly wouldn't want to break a bone out in the middle of nowhere in a country that I'm not familiar with. I don't think you're being dramatic, I mean, nothing wrong with taking risks, but there's no need to be stupid about it. I will ask around when I get there and maybe we will forego the falls and just do the caves, if they are still accessible.

Mar 2, 2008
I hope you and your boyfriend enjoy your stay. Above all else, have fun and relax. I have known people who tried to do too much and had a very un-relaxing time. Just kick back and enjoy the beach, pool, and great weather.

Of course, it is a short hop to Sosua (only about a 15 minute drive), and I'm sure you will enjoy it here.

And please don't forget, I'll buy the two of you a beer, as well as give you the 50-cent tour. You can't beat that with a stick. Salud!

blackrainbow

Dec 26, 2009
trust peoples judgement of 27 falls.

The Tragedy

probablly the harshest story you will read, but a very good read.

all in all, be safe...

on a different note, is dominican baseball all year round? seasons?

cause that would be awesome to see.

EmilyCaldwell

Jul 3, 2010
Wow. After reading the site about Adam and watching the videos, I think we will have to skip the falls. It's a shame because it is sooooooo beautiful, and it looks like a LOT of fun. And so many people have done it without incident. Then again, it appears LOTS of people have broken bones and quite a few have fricken DIED! And it sounds like if you get sucked under the guides aren't diving in to get you. And also, let's face it, it looks scary as all hell too. What about Cabarete caves? No one has said anything about that yet.

As far as baseball in the DR, from what I understand it's the exact opposite of the MLB season in the US. So no it's not all year round, but a couple people on here told me there are lots of local games going on that are fun to watch.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
DO NOT take the tour to the falls. YES you get a helmet (may fit may not fit) yes you get a life jacket, YES you get a guide (who in the case of an emergency has NO real training and chances are will dissappear in the face of an emergency) NO there are no safety precautions, NO there is no communication between the guides on the falls and the office, NO there is no emergency evacuation plan. YES people are injured there on a regular basis YES there are people who die there, last year a husband and wife lost thier lives there in front of thier teenage sons. Yes there were in good shape and outdoors kind of people. YES a young boy lost his life there a couple or years ago. YES I have a very strong opinion on this
NO DO NOT DO THIS TRIP.

Bob K

Reactions: Bronxboy

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
Scuba

Hi Emily,
Regarding scuba diving, there are plenty of dive shops in Cabarete & Sosua that will train you right through from being a novice to being PADI certified. However it is quite time consuming and you do have to cram for your exams. You could always do a part qualification this holiday and complete it next time you come. My neice did the same thing in November last year and is looking forward to coming back this year and completing her training. My wife managed the full course in 2006. The choice is yours.
Hope you enjoy your holday in paradise and, not all on the board are idiots so please don't take their comments too much to heart.
Please post when you get back home and let us all know how your holiday went.
Warmest regards
Ian & Ellie
anpalmisl.gif

westcan

Sep 10, 2008
For other cascading tours, try Iguana Mama their store is on the main street in Cabarete, at the east end of town. (they have mountain biking tours as well as other things to do, even the 27 falls if you want.

I have always wanted to try the Magic Mushroom tour, it does not look as rigorous or dangerous as the 27 falls.
fun outdoor tours magic mushroom

Maybe some of the other members here know of it.
Someday I am going to do it, but up till now have been learning windsurfing, and that has proven to be very challenging.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
but up till now have been learning windsurfing, and that has proven to be very challenging.

Wow, LEARNING to windsurf at Cabarete must be a very massive undertaking, unless in the calmer days. I've been w/Surfing for over 20years and still find Cabarete a handful sometimes. On the less choppy days it can be good fun once way off shore but learning there must be hard stuff. Well done.

westcan

Sep 10, 2008
Wow, LEARNING to windsurf at Cabarete must be a very massive undertaking, unless in the calmer days. I've been w/Surfing for over 20years and still find Cabarete a handful sometimes. On the less choppy days it can be good fun once way off shore but learning there must be hard stuff. Well done.

As a raw beginner I just didn't know any better. Been going to Vela Cabarete for about 3 years now when on vacation. They start beginners in the late mornings before the winds pick up and while the water may be a little calmer. The most difficult part was getting used to the waves, they kept knocking me off the board. I can tack and jibe (more or less) but am still using the big floaty board and a relatively small sail.

Last March I was trying to learn how to use a harness but still have to master that. But I will be there again at the end of September and hope to do that and finally understand how everyone can rip along planing at high speed. That looks like fun!

May 24, 2009
www.swellsurfcamp.com
For other cascading tours, try Iguana Mama their store is on the main street in Cabarete, at the east end of town. (they have mountain biking tours as well as other things to do, even the 27 falls if you want.

I have always wanted to try the Magic Mushroom tour, it does not look as rigorous or dangerous as the 27 falls.
fun outdoor tours magic mushroom

Maybe some of the other members here know of it.
Someday I am going to do it, but up till now have been learning windsurfing, and that has proven to be very challenging.

Iguana Mama have been working hard to make their tours of a higher safety standard - they brought an American safety accreditation team over a few months ago to check their safety procedures on the tours they alone hold the license for (Magic Mushroom, Big B*****d, etc) and then undertook changes to make the required standard. If you have a choice, go with them for these kinds of activities.

Scooter

Feb 15, 2002
I just read Adam's story. I have been visiting the DR for many years and have never taken a tour. Not because of the dangers, because we just weren't interested.

My heart goes out to Adam's Family and anyone's family who have lost loved ones or anyone who has been injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.