How to Handle the Hookers

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmilyCaldwell

Jul 3, 2010
My boyfriend and I will be in Cabarete from September 1-11. We'll probably take a day trip to Sosua as well. My boyfriend is awesome and I'm not at all worried that he'll go off with a hooker, no matter how sexy those Dominicanas are (heard they're pretty good-looking!) But I am worried about how to politely inform them that he's not interested.

Do the ladies respect when a man is there with his wife or girlfriend? Or will they approach anyway? In the event that he/we are approached, what is the best way to decline.

I know how I'd handle a similar situation here in the US! I don't really take kindly to people disrespecting me and hitting on my man, and I don't have a problem expressing that. But I recognize that I'll be in another country with a different culture, and I'm not trying to start a fight with some scrappy Dominican putas and get my ass beat! Any advice is appreciated!

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
But I am worried about how to politely inform them that he's not interested

I dont mean to be impolite...but wont he be able to handle the situation at hand himself?? I would suggest you let him "take care of business" if or when this situation arises.

EmilyCaldwell

Jul 3, 2010
No, like I'm asking what he should say/do. You guys don't know my boyfriend. He's very non-confrontational and he's not terribly comfortable with telling people to go away. If he's alone, I'm sure he will be able to handle it, what other choice does he have? But you can't tell me that all these tourist women sit by and watch hookers proposition their boyfriends/husbands and do nothing about it?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I'm not trying to start a fight with some scrappy Dominican putas and get my ass beat! Any advice is appreciated!

I really don't think Dominican putas are interested in scraping with you or beating your ass. Like others have said let your man handle it. I'm sure he's turn down one or two offers in his life without your help.

Good luck

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
and I'm not trying to start a fight with some scrappy Dominican putas and get my ass beat! Any advice is appreciated!

Good move, just keep out of it if anyone does try to attract his attention forcefully. He shouldn't get much attention if you make it obvious you are together, however you might well come across the odd desperate case that will be a pain in the ass when it is getting close to closing time or they are drunk. The more experienced putas respect you are together and will stay well clear, it is the young or crazy ones to watch out for. Keep it in mind that Haitian women can't drink and when they do they can go nuts and become very unpredictable, Dominican women can be the same but I find are more likely to be on drugs than drinking, if anything. Most don't drink or do drugs and infact are quite antio drugs amongst themselves, but that is the only real time they might get frisky with your man or in your face desparate.

So in short, nothing will happen but if it does, stand back and let your man fend for himself, you getting involved will only end in tears.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Emily,

This is an easy one. You hold all the money and pay for everything.

The Putas will not bother you or him regardless of how "awesome" he may be.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
"Honey.....I'll be right back, I'm going to the Colmado.....see you in 20"......

No, like I'm asking what he should say/do. You guys don't know my boyfriend. He's very non-confrontational and he's not terribly comfortable with telling people to go away. If he's alone, I'm sure he will be able to handle it, what other choice does he have? But you can't tell me that all these tourist women sit by and watch hookers proposition their boyfriends/husbands and do nothing about it?

Chill EmilyCaldwell....you and your boyfriend will be fine, take it with a grain of salt....just smile and say...."No gracious".....(if approached)...your gonna be on vacation, relax and have a good time.....:cheeky::cheeky:

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
No, like I'm asking what he should say/do. You guys don't know my boyfriend. He's very non-confrontational and he's not terribly comfortable with telling people to go away. QUOTE]

Quite simple, he will have to get used to telling people to go away, not just the putas but the guys are more likely to get on your nerves than any amount of putas. Tell them no and keep walking, if you are having a drink and one won't leave your space, move. If they follow you then go have a word with a bouncer or bar staff, they will remove them instantly for you or they are more likely to move when they see you are no a mark for them, no problems.
Just don't raise you hands to anyone, no matter how wound up you get.

EmilyCaldwell

Jul 3, 2010
God, I love how you all assume I'm some kind of controlling girlfriend who won't let my boyfriend make his own decisions. As I've said, you don't know him. He can be a total pushover, and I could see him tolerating unwanted attention because he is simply too nice to tell the person to leave. I'm posting this because HE was concerned about what he should do in the event that a prostitute solicits him, since I've been reading that they can be quite pushy. He's the nicest guy in the world and wouldn't want to be rude to anyone, regardless of their social standing or profession, but he also wouldn't want anyone to mistake his politeness as interest in services. I'm the one with the DR1 account, so that's why I'm posting.

However, I've posted in Rendezvous Point, so if you're all so convinced that he's some kind of hen-pecked boyfriend and you feel sorry for him, perhaps you can meet him for drinks yourself and then maybe you'll see what I'm talking about. Non-confrontational is just who he is. Don't worry, I won't come along for the drinks, since opinionated, self-confident women don't seem to be terribly popular here.

And thanks for the actual advice, Anastacio. I'm sure he will appreciate it.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
When you first get here you will probably have to tell beach vendors about 5 time that you are not interested - getting steamed up will not help.

By the end of yout time in D.R. you will be able to shoo away everybody from hookers to street vendors with merely the slightest twitch of the nose and the smallest waggle of the finger.

It is a skill you learn very quickly.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Keep it in mind that Haitian women can't drink and when they do they can go nuts and become very unpredictable, Dominican women can be the same but I find are more likely to be on drugs than drinking, if anything.

Dude WTF is with that comment?

Notice how quickly the posts grow when tag line of the thread includes the word "Hooker".

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
God, I love how you all assume I'm some kind of controlling girlfriend who won't let my boyfriend make his own decisions.

Hahahahahah!
Perish the very thought!!!!!

Don't worry, I won't come along for the drinks, since opinionated, self-confident women don't seem to be terribly popular here.

I think you are coming to the right place - you obviously need to relax before you do yourself a mischief!!!
I just worry that 11 days will not be enough to relieve all the tension you have stored up inside.

Good luck!

EmilyCaldwell

Jul 3, 2010
Also I've heard from a few couples who said the ladies weren't a problem and never even approached them. So I'm not like, biting my nails over here, worried it will ruin my vacation. I know it won't. I wouldn't have picked the DR if prostitution bothered me. I am just working out all the details of my trip, considering worst-case scenarios, all that stuff.

EmilyCaldwell

Jul 3, 2010
I think you are coming to the right place - you obviously need to relax before you do yourself a mischief!!!
I just worry that 11 days will not be enough to relieve all the tension you have stored up inside.

Good luck!

You don't know me. How lovely that this thread has devolved into insulting me. Thanks to the few people who gave actual advice.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Dude WTF is with that comment?

Notice how quickly the posts grow when tag line of the thread includes the word "Hooker".

Take the comment out of the paragraph and it becomes what you are trying to make it, a general swipe by me at Dominican and Haitian working girls, which it isn't if you put the whole post into context with what I'm actually saying. It is a fact about the small minority of working girls you are likely to come into bad contact with and I found an important point with regards to how to deal with them (maybe differently)and to not judge all of them on these few desperate cases. I had a bad experience in Cabarete with a girl obviously on drugs and was utterly mental, so that is my experience, now I would be the one keeping an eye out for those above others. As I stated, most are extremely Anti drugs!!!!
So that is whatsup with that comment, I'm giving advice from my experience!

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Insulting you???

Well darling, you come up with the most ridiculous nonsense conceivable, post it on a public forum for reaction - and then get all "holier than thou" when somebody gives you an honest opinion.

Just to recap -

• You seem very tense.
  • You seem very insecure about your boyfriend's insecurities.
  • You seem to have made your mind up about Dominican women before you get here.

Again, I think that a nice relaxing holiday in the D.R. could purge these sentiments.
And I wish you all the luck in the world relaxing with one metaphorical eye open all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.