Playa Dorada Hotel?

boniouk

Aug 17, 2010
Hi guys, going to Puerto Plata with my fiance at the end of November and like the look of playa dorada but i have no idea where to stay. Budget is around ?400 ($650) and so far i've looked at a few hotels...

Grand paradise
iberostar
barcelo
Gran Victori - Gran Ventano - Casa Coloniol (all the same owners i think)

The problem is... hardly anywhere has pictures, and when they do, the affordable rooms look awful and the expensive ones look brilliant. Anybody got any advice to help as i want something nice and relaxing, all inclusive, but neither of us drink or are interested in any of the activies. Just want a totally relaxing lazy holiday.

Advice would be appreciated.

boniouk

Aug 17, 2010
Thought id be more specific....

We want, romance, golden beaches, hot tub, and relaxation

Not bothered at all about, activities, alcohol, parties, discos, busy hotels, other people, nightlife etc.

Looking for somewhere in playa dorada though. any ideas?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
The problem is... hardly anywhere has pictures, and when they do, the affordable rooms look awful and the expensive ones look brilliant.QUOTE]

Maybe you should be looking at another destination if this is the case.

boniouk

Aug 17, 2010
Possibly, but then sometimes online it shows a fantastic room under the price, but it says standard. Then on another website it shows standard as looking better or worse. Im just after peoples opinions on where is good.

Bluebay villas looks nice
Grand paradise looks nice
Barcelo also looks good

anyone been to any of these and have opinions?

Chelleyyyyy

Apr 7, 2007
ive been to gran ventana and i liked it.. my parents are actually planning their 4th trip back to that hotel. it's beachfront and the food was good. the rooms were nice and we didnt have any problems when i stayed there twice. there are bars close by if that's what you're into. not really sure about anything romantic though lol

VH - Gran Ventana Beach Resort, Boutique Hotel in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic

Reviews of Hotels, Flights and Vacation Rentals - TripAdvisor -- search here for other people's reviews

good luck!

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Hi guys, going to Puerto Plata with my fiance at the end of November and like the look of playa dorada but i have no idea where to stay. Budget is around ?400 ($650) and so far i've looked at a few hotels...

Grand paradise
iberostar
barcelo

The problem is... hardly anywhere has pictures, and when they do, the affordable rooms look awful and the expensive ones look brilliant. Anybody got any advice to help as i want something nice and relaxing, all inclusive, but neither of us drink or are interested in any of the activies. Just want a totally relaxing lazy holiday.

Choices may be limited in your price range. Casa Colonial is way out of your range.
I would recommend Iberostar (which incidentally is in Costa Dorada) but not sure if that falls within your range.

Good luck.

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
Hiya,
Here's a site with loads of top quality photo's of the Iberostar and things are still very much the same today.
Iberostar Costa Dorada Feb 2007 - photos of Dominican Republic on Worldisround
but it is expensive & ?400 won't get two of you far there I'm afraid, a standard room for one night in November this year is US$146 (about ?100) and the minimum you can book over the internet is for a 3 night stay. We were married at the Iberostar & holidayed there every year until 2008 so, if you can afford it, you'll have a lovely time. Not sure about any other hotels.
You'd perhaps be better off looking for a condo/apartment to rent IMHO.
Tropical regards
Ian & Ellie
anpalmisl.gif

Last edited:

boniouk

Aug 17, 2010
Hiya,
Here's a site with loads of top quality photo's of the Iberostar and things are still very much the same today.
Iberostar Costa Dorada Feb 2007 - photos of Dominican Republic on Worldisround
but it is expensive & ?400 won't get two of you far there I'm afraid, a standard room for one night in November this year is US$146 (about ?100) and the minimum you can book over the internet is for a 3 night stay. We were married at the Iberostar & holidayed there every year until 2008 so, if you can afford it, you'll have a lovely time. Not sure about any other hotels.
You'd perhaps be better off looking for a condo/apartment to rent IMHO.
Tropical regards
Ian & Ellie
anpalmisl.gif

Very useful, thanks very much. Do you have a link for any apartments condos in that area? :) Thanks again.

So far im close to going with Bluebay Villas as its adult only and on the beach, might be quiet and relaxing so i'll take the plunge if nothing else shows up.

Thanks for the opinions guys.

bellakins

May 31, 2008
BluBay is a good place

I stayed there for a week in February. It's a fairly small, nice resort with a short walk to the beach from all buildings. Ask for a room in a building away
from the animation stage where they hold nightly shows, because it can be
loud and annoying if you're not in the mood. The staff was very nice, and I thought the food was quite good every day. I would recommend it.
I booked through cheapcaribbean.com and got a good deal.

Last edited:

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Viva wyndham has nice rooms is very quiet and peaceful and has one of the better parts of the beach. Had our wedding here and were quite happy. It is a moderate hotel as far as bells and whistles but is clean quiet and not really a party hotel. Very relaxing place!

boniouk

Aug 17, 2010
I'm dead set on Bluebay villas now, the only problem is how to get a decent room. Any tips?

Im very confused with their website as it has...

standard double
superior
Villa suite

Then when i click to check availability, it only gives you the options of double room or double room plus. Confusing. Its the same on all the holiday sites too. they show double or double plus but the official website shows 3 different types of rooms. Is it easy to book a room then call up to upgrade seperately?

lordand

Apr 4, 2009
Blue Bay

You won't be disappointed with Blue bay. My wife and I have been twice and are going back for 4 weeks on Oct 31.The villa rooms are by the Zen pool and are very quiet with more space and amenities and are closer to the beach.The resort is 225 rooms and is adults only-but it is very tame adults only (no wet t-shirt contests etc.) It is very close to the Playa Dorado mall and has an excellant beach-food is good and staff is very cordial.Probably very easy to change rooms if you don't like the one you get .e-mail me if you need more info.

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010

Grand paradise
iberostar
barcelo

I've stayed at Victoria and yes Gran Ventana and Casa Colonial have the same owner. Victoria was clean and quiet, my room was nice and the food was good. It's not beachfront, it's on the golf course but you get unlimited access to the food and entertainment at Gran Ventana which is the beachfront sister hotel...they provide you with shuttle service to the beach and they have a section on the beach for Victoria patrons...with a beach restaurant/bar (which is great for lunch). Victoria is great if you want to be in a quiet location but if you like constant action you'd prefer Gran Ventana... I liked the combo of the 2 because it was nice and quiet and mostly adults (no screaming children) at Victoria and we'd head over to Gran Ventana at night to take in the shows and have some drinks... Hope you find something you like. ;)