Do Dominicans like MUSICA DURANGUESA??

Jan 3, 2003
I have recently heard this from a friend and I like it. I have never been exposed to this type of music before. I love the jumpy jerky feel to it.

As a Dominican, I guess it must be strange to like it since I don't know other Dominicans who like it. Do any of you out there in DR1, Dominicans and Ex-pats enjoy this music?

Is this played anywhere in the DR?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YZdXyWZWbjA?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YZdXyWZWbjA?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I like it a lot as well as the other Banda music...but I guess I'm not a typical Dominican as I've spent a lot of time working in Mexico. Like anything it is quite different to hear it on a radio and to see it live or at club. I can tell you it is quite contagious to hear it pumping loud in a club...just like Presidente tastes best in The DR and Bachata sounds better over there, Musica duranguense sounds best in Mexico and even better in Durango itself.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Meant to edit above post, but it was too late.

To make this DR related you should know that the dance (Pasito Duranguense) is a cross between Quebradita and Dominican Merengue. The story goes that is originated in Chicago where there are a lot of Mexican from Durango who used to dance La Quebradita. They would have these dances where there would be a lot of Puerto Ricans and some Dominicans who didn't know how to do the Quebradita so they would dance it like Merengue and that's how it all started.

Some of my favorites are K Paz de La Sierra, Cuisillos, Julio Preciado, Montez de Durango, Patrulla 81, Alacranes Musical, and Horoscopos de Durango among others.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
It reminds me of a walking into my bodega, Guerrero Azteca, down the block!

It also reminds me of my trip down to Laredo, Texas in March. That dancing looks like some kind of rigid yet spasdic merengue.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
I live in Mexico, DF for almost 10 years and I can tell you, that at least in Mexico City nobody will listen that music. quebradita y musica de banda is a texmex music. That music is popular in the north part of Mexico and La union Americana.
and just like Bachata it?s a low class music. same rithm all the time, without a good lirycs.
Most of this bands live and play in USA. I remember when Selena was killed I was in Texas for vacation and it was like a national mourning. when I cameback to Mexico city. almost nobody care about it.
I never heard about her in mexico, and she was very famous in USA among mexicans.
In Mexico they prefer to listen mariachi over musica de banda.
Normally after clubing mexicans go to Plaza Garibaldi to listen mariachi y ponerse hasta la madre con el tequila.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
No, I don't like Duranguesa. When it comes to Mexican music, I'm more into this type mostly due to the melody, the notes, more so than the lyrics themselves:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zFAoqr9nEww?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zFAoqr9nEww?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
durango, norteno, ranchero, texmex isnt that popular or lucrative as you would think if you looked at the commercials on tv. Major labels got out of it 10 years ago because the market was so small and there was no real appeal outside of Mexican communities and the southwestern US. I think the music is loud and lumpy and the dudes wear clothes too tight. I just imagine them farting from eating so much Mexican food and blowing there appendix out the front of there $40 silk bright colored shirt.

Whereas Merengue, Salsa and Bachata has a lot of appeal worldwide and all the major labels have offices in NY and Miami for the "tropical sound" as they call it.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
My brother and sister were here in Vegas and went to a Quinceanera of a Mexican girl, of course they heard Duranguense music played in the party and they said they would never dance something of that kind ever in the DR. In my part with all due respect to the Mexicans that music gives me belly's aches. Maybe I'll like it later in 2 years.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
About the commerciality of this type of music I'm seeing is huge around here, with Aventura on top and the next 9 being Duranguense music. They are raking a **** load of dollars. I better like it if I want to take part of that market as a DJ here in Vegas.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Yea, well Vegas is in the Southwest. You play those records in Orlando as a novelty, no one takes them seriously. You see them on Sabado Gigante only because they want to appeal to the Latinos on the West Coast.

Jan 3, 2003
Meant to edit above post, but it was too late.

To make this DR related you should know that the dance (Pasito Duranguense) is a cross between Quebradita and Dominican Merengue. The story goes that is originated in Chicago where there are a lot of Mexican from Durango who used to dance La Quebradita. They would have these dances where there would be a lot of Puerto Ricans and some Dominicans who didn't know how to do the Quebradita so they would dance it like Merengue and that's how it all started.

Some of my favorites are K Paz de La Sierra, Cuisillos, Julio Preciado, Montez de Durango, Patrulla 81, Alacranes Musical, and Horoscopos de Durango among others.

What I've been told is that the origins of this music are from the POLISH POLKA with TUBA. I guess it is what you say plus what I say. That's great that a fellow Dominican likes this stuff.

How could it be brought to the DR and made viable to the masses?

Also, do you currently work in Mexico?

What can you tell me about Durango? I'd like to go based on your recommendations.

Thanks, Suazy :)

About the commerciality of this type of music I'm seeing is huge around here, with Aventura on top and the next 9 being Duranguense music. They are raking a **** load of dollars. I better like it if I want to take part of that market as a DJ here in Vegas.

Where is here?

Last edited:

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
its just music....innit....I like all sorts doesnt matter what category its in...if you like it you like it .....didnt know there was low class music

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
its just music....innit....I like all sorts doesnt matter what category its in...if you like it you like it .....didnt know there was low class music

like you didnt read all the old fogey threads on reggaeton, right?