Cast Iron Cookware

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Has anyone seen this type of cookware on sale in the Santiago area?

Any help in locating same much appreciated.

Thanks

John

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
John, I once saw some in El Nacional. I was going to buy some, but kept putting it off ($$)...

Sl?nte,

HB

May 29, 2006
I think uncoated cast iron rusts too fast to be popular down there. You mostly see cast aluminum and even then they are a very expensive item for locals to buy. Also most Dominicans would prob wash them with soap which is the worst thing you can do to them.

IKEA might carry enameled cast iron but then you are talking about US$50+ for a 5qt casserole rice pot and I'm thinking closer to $100 is more likely. Le Cruset is some pricey stuff.

Aug 21, 2007
I think uncoated cast iron rusts too fast to be popular down there. You mostly see cast aluminum and even then they are a very expensive item for locals to buy. Also most Dominicans would prob wash them with soap which is the worst thing you can do to them.

IKEA might carry enameled cast iron but then you are talking about US$50+ for a 5qt casserole rice pot and I'm thinking closer to $100 is more likely. Le Cruset is some pricey stuff.

I agree with PeterInBrat. I had cast iron cookware when I lived on the ocean in Africa. (Imported it.) I could not keep up with the rust.

As wonderful as cast iron is, it is not for the DR.

Lindsey

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I have to differ on the upkeep of cast iron cookware here. i have some I brought here with in the household contents container. I treat it in exactly the same way I did in the UK. Never use soap and water just water and give it a wipe with vegetable oil before you put it away. So far its doing well after 4 years.

Reactions: MikeFisher

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Best Skillet Ever

As wonderful as cast iron is, it is not for the DR.
False.
We have been using several cast iron skillets (Lodge Brand) here, they are worth every Peso.
Once they are 'seasoned' (with cooking oil) you have a non-stick frying pan which will survive you and your children.
Never use soap on them, just warm water (or salt) and a stiff brush.

I bought them in 'Cuesta' many years ago.

donP

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Yep cast iron best way to go here, just treat your stuff right, no soap or if after you HAVE soap it, heat it and oil it up again.

We have two, one flat skillet purchased about 10 years ago in El Canal with my first wife so she could make roti and in the other a standard 12" fry skillet at Price Mart about three years ago for RD1,600.00. When Price Mart had them they had a bunch and I remeber I was going to buy another the next week they were all gone.....I have not seen them since, but have not really looked latly.

I have seen the enameled roasters at SEMA in Herrera.

Aug 21, 2007
Okay, you all. I stand corrected. Will have to give it another try. I think because I was gone for periods of time (months), perhaps the lack of constant use and re-oiling did them in. In the end, I didn't return, so sadly, I believe the set was put in the trash.

I appreciate the correction and will give Lodge cookware a try again.

Lindsey

Reactions: MikeFisher

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
I have one perfect casserole pot - good for an eight person curry.

My problem is locating a store that sells them. My dish was purchased at La Nacional some three years ago and they have never re-appeared.

Please find a store. Ikea does not stock them.

John

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I believe I saw some at nacional in STI...

How about copper cooking ware, nothing better for sauces, etc... available here?