Marbete/Placa - No Problem -- Revista - What a JOKE!

BradM

Sep 6, 2007
I had an interesting day today. I decided I would get both stickers for my car.

I went to the BanReservas in Sosua, stood in line 40 minutes, told the girl I wanted to pay for a revista. Nope, not here, go to Cabarete! What? I was really ****ed off at this point. I thought ok, screw the legal way, I'll just go buy an illegal one from one of the Amet guys on the corner. No Amet guys anywhere, and come to think of it I haven't seen them at that corner in a couple of weeks.

Now on to the Marbete. Went to BanAmerica. Place empty, one teller. Told him what I wanted, no problem. 30 seconds later he's trying to call the DGII to do the renewal. He can't get them on the phone. After 5 minutes of trying he goes into the manager's office. They try from in there. Meanwhile a lineup of people is starting to form behind me. 20 minutes later he finally gets through and they process my renewal, manager is none to happy at this point. 30 seconds after he gets off the phone I'm out of there with my shiny new sticker.

So as painful as it is to do things in this country, getting the marbete was fairly simple and straightforward. The revista is still outstanding. I'm not sure how long before they start fining people for not having it. And I know this question is rhetorial, buy why is the cheapest sticker, actually it's so cheap it's a joke, the most difficult and painful to obtain? Glad I only have to deal with it once a year.

Oh and I either read here somewhere on DR1 or heard from someone that they are out of legal stickers. Evidently so many have been taken to be sold illegally that they have run out of legal ones to sell so one can only get them illegally. Does anyone know if there is any truth to that?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The Banreservas in PP has a trailer in the parking lot that usually takes the 45rd for the Revista stickers. There is never a line there, so you could try there and it is minutes from the stadium where you get the Revista.

BradM

Sep 6, 2007
The Banreservas in PP has a trailer in the parking lot that usually takes the 45rd for the Revista stickers. There is never a line there, so you could try there and it is minutes from the stadium where you get the Revista.

The only BanReservas I know of in PP is downtown just behind Casa Nelson. Is that the only one in PP and the right place?

Aug 21, 2007
On another thread this was discussed. There is a BanReservas in Playa Dorado. They seem to always have the forms for the Revista. They also have no lines.

Pays to do a search before posting! = )

Lindsey

donP

Dec 14, 2008
+ 255

Evidently so many have been taken to be sold illegally that they have run out of legal ones to sell so one can only get them illegally. Does anyone know if there is any truth to that?
As always I bought it from my 'buscador' for 300 RD$.
I'd rather spend 255 RD$ more and not go all the way to SFdM and queue up for a silly procedure.

donP

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
just pay the 45 pesos for the revista tax at a banco de reservas,
keep the receipt for the payment in your car,
and pay the aksed for 300 something pesos or even 400 to a guy near your next Gas station to get the sticker and put it on the windshield of your car,
it is hassle free, cheap, and nobody will ever bother.
Mike

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
just pay the 45 pesos for the revista tax at a banco de reservas,
keep the receipt for the payment in your car,
and pay the aksed for 300 something pesos or even 400 to a guy near your next Gas station to get the sticker and put it on the windshield of your car,
it is hassle free, cheap, and nobody will ever bother.
Mike

Exactly what I do :)

JFD

Feb 10, 2010
Yep but check they're giving you the real one, there are a lot of fake revistas around.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
fake revistas?
reality is that every revista urchased on the Street is a Fake, b/c you do not get the signed and stamped paper from the Revista checkpoint official, and nobody needs it anyways.
the stickers themselves for the windshield are the same, and thats the only thingy that counts.
Mike

Mar 2, 2008
I got my revista legally about 3 weeks ago in POP, and it was rather a pain, like the proverbial 'monkey on a football'.

I purchased my placa two days ago at bancamerica in Sosua with no difficulty, in and out in 2-3 minutes.

Next year I will skip the legal revista part and purchase it off the street, after paying the fee at the bank. It makes more sense doing that way.

BradM

Sep 6, 2007
On another thread this was discussed. There is a BanReservas in Playa Dorado. They seem to always have the forms for the Revista. They also have no lines.

Pays to do a search before posting! = )

Lindsey

Thanks for the suggestion Lindsey. Who'd have thunk to do a search before posting, that's good advice! I'm not sure what that has to do with my post as I was itterating a story of my experience, not asking a question. Since I live in Sosua, and close to the BanReservas in Sosua, and have paid for the Revista in Sosua in previous years, I was surprised by their reply when I tried to do it again. My only question had to do with illegal revistas and them running out of legal ones, and that was a sidenote anyway. Maybe reading before posting is also good advice ;-)

To all the others who suggest just buying one for $300 pesos, I did try that, would try that, but the Amet guys seem to be in hiding at the moment.

Aug 21, 2007
Thanks for the suggestion Lindsey. Who'd have thunk to do a search before posting, that's good advice! I'm not sure what that has to do with my post as I was itterating a story of my experience, not asking a question. Since I live in Sosua, and close to the BanReservas in Sosua, and have paid for the Revista in Sosua in previous years, I was surprised by their reply when I tried to do it again. My only question had to do with illegal revistas and them running out of legal ones, and that was a sidenote anyway. Maybe reading before posting is also good advice ;-)

To all the others who suggest just buying one for $300 pesos, I did try that, would try that, but the Amet guys seem to be in hiding at the moment.

Sorry, Brad. I guess as I reread this, I was referring to the fact that in the past, the Sosua BanReserva has run out of the forms and others as well as myself have always had luck in Playa Dorado. For you, it would have been too late, as you already had tried the Sosua bank. Didn't mean to offend.

Lindsey

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
I purchased my placa two days ago at bancamerica in Sosua with no difficulty, in and out in 2-3 minutes.

I did mine today also there in under 2 minutes. Lunch time seems to be the best. The teller not only had a large supply of them, he also said I didn't need my passport or cedula, just a copy of my marticular.

BradM

Sep 6, 2007
Sorry, Brad. I guess as I reread this, I was referring to the fact that in the past, the Sosua BanReserva has run out of the forms and others as well as myself have always had luck in Playa Dorado. For you, it would have been too late, as you already had tried the Sosua bank. Didn't mean to offend.

Lindsey

No problem Lindsey. I had searched DR1 before I set out to see if there was any change to the Revista process. Most of the posts were from 2008, so a little stale to be of value. I did not see anything about the Sosua BanReservas on the posts I did read. I mentioned my story to someone else this morning, and she said, yea we tried that the other day, could'a told you that. I poped into the BanReservas in Playa Dorada today, in and out with the papers in under 2 minutes. Now for the next part, the DMV, or whatever the yellow building is called in Puerto Plata.

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Please can someone tell me where Bancamerica is in Sosua? I have lived here for 10 years and never seen it and we need to renew our marbete.

Thanks,
Linda.