Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hey llana!! where is the police????

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey llana!! where is the police????

Ok, I am far from a Sosua basher, and i am always the first guy to defend the place.. But i have to be honest here..Now that llana Neumann and her beer selling partner have celebrated their victory over that shiester Victor, I think it is time that they get to work and bring in some more police in Sosua to protect the tourist that keep the place alive..

I was walking down Pedro Clisante the other day, and right near the scuba shop there was a big crowd of people that had gathered. There was a a few Dominican guys who had detained a very fragile looking Haitian guy that had apparently stole somthing from one of the businesses, and they were trying to make him give it back.. But the scary part is that one of the Dominican guys was waving around a knife that had to over a foot long..And as they were holding this Haitian guy, people were trying to call, or find the police.. After a few minutes, the Haitian broke free and smashed a bottle and waved around the glass to anyone who came close.

The scary part is there were no police in this highly popular area to be found..Now all the I love Sosua members are going to comment that this could happen anywhere, and ask are there police on every corner in your city in the states.. Both points are very true..BUT!! Sosua is a tourist town, and the people who run the place need to come up with a way to protect the people who live, and especially the people who choose this place for a vacation.. Just watching that scene the other day had me realize that if you have a problem in Sosua, you are on your own..Just like the Wild Wild West..

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rsg View Post
    Ok, I am far from a Sosua basher, and i am always the first guy to defend the place.. But i have to be honest here..Now that llana Neumann and her beer selling partner have celebrated their victory over that shiester Victor, I think it is time that they get to work and bring in some more police in Sosua to protect the tourist that keep the place alive..

I was walking down Pedro Clisante the other day, and right near the scuba shop there was a big crowd of people that had gathered. There was a a few Dominican guys who had detained a very fragile looking Haitian guy that had apparently stole somthing from one of the businesses, and they were trying to make him give it back.. But the scary part is that one of the Dominican guys was waving around a knife that had to over a foot long..And as they were holding this Haitian guy, people were trying to call, or find the police.. After a few minutes, the Haitian broke free and smashed a bottle and waved around the glass to anyone who came close.

The scary part is there were no police in this highly popular area to be found..Now all the I love Sosua members are going to comment that this could happen anywhere, and ask are there police on every corner in your city in the states.. Both points are very true..BUT!! Sosua is a tourist town, and the people who run the place need to come up with a way to protect the people who live, and especially the people who choose this place for a vacation.. Just watching that scene the other day had me realize that if you have a problem in Sosua, you are on your own..Just like the Wild Wild West..
    Even though Llana has some contacts in the Capitol I still think she won't get much cooperation from the PLD boys. As for policing, one of the main items on her "things to do" list includes the forming a Municipal Police force (A real one) to cover the security of both residents and tourists in Sosua. You won't see any PN in Sosua during the day. The odd drive-by but that's all. It's supposed to be the job of Politur but they never have more than 2 guys on the streets during the day and 0 at night. It's allways been the same. The only support Sosua gets from the PLD is during elections. After all most PLD biggies have vested interests on the other side of the island and are not really concerned about us. When Balaguer left, so did any police or other aid to us.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

how does one officially contact Miss Illana with concerns ....

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Did anybody tried communicating directly with Ilana or her administration about this non-police situation?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrhartley View Post
    how does one officially contact Miss Illana with concerns ....
    Here ya go:

Security Check Required | Facebook

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

rsg, good post, and good point.

I don't think anyone could mistake your post for Sosua bashing. You are obviously concerned about our community, and I think there are many others who share your concerns. We have a good community here, and if we could learn how to work together I am sure we could help improve the situation here.

One of the problems I see is that the community is divided and unsure of a common agenda. Since there are various and diverse interests here, and because there are so many differing points of view, it has been nearly impossible to organize the ex-pat community into any coherent group.

Honestly, I don't see this situation changing any time soon. I think the best we can hope for at this time is to unite around certain specific issues, such as the creation of a honest and viable police presence. Unfortunately, it will probably take a tragic event or series of events to happen before anything along those lines takes place.

I sincerely hope that it does not require such, but I'm not holding my breath.

In any event, it always helps to stay informed of the happening around town, like the incident that rsg reported on. Such reporting helps everyone to stay in tune with the local 'climate'.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

The locals in Sosua seem to know how to keep safe, and they usually are not the easy targets the bad guys are looking for..it is Joe Shmoe tourist that may have a problem.. Who will they call for help? Who will help them?

Sosua is a great place to visit, the beach is one of the best on the Island.. But I just hope the place don't turn in to a scene from the mad max movie..let's be realistic here.. They pay the police a few hundred bucks a month, how could a town that survives off the tourist $$$ not be able to afford 4 or 5 cops to keep the streets safe?

But then again, I bet much of Sosuas money was just used to buy the house across the street from Clasicos...Another bar I bet....
    Last edited by rsg; 08-25-2010 at 02:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

How the hell should I know???

Carry on...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DavidZ View Post
    Is that you Chiri aka Llana?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Just watching that scene the other day had me realize that if you have a problem in Sosua, you are on your own..Just like the Wild Wild West..
    You've hit the nail on the head

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast