Hey llana!! where is the police????

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Ok, I am far from a Sosua basher, and i am always the first guy to defend the place.. But i have to be honest here..Now that llana Neumann and her beer selling partner have celebrated their victory over that shiester Victor, I think it is time that they get to work and bring in some more police in Sosua to protect the tourist that keep the place alive..

I was walking down Pedro Clisante the other day, and right near the scuba shop there was a big crowd of people that had gathered. There was a a few Dominican guys who had detained a very fragile looking Haitian guy that had apparently stole somthing from one of the businesses, and they were trying to make him give it back.. But the scary part is that one of the Dominican guys was waving around a knife that had to over a foot long..And as they were holding this Haitian guy, people were trying to call, or find the police.. After a few minutes, the Haitian broke free and smashed a bottle and waved around the glass to anyone who came close.

The scary part is there were no police in this highly popular area to be found..Now all the I love Sosua members are going to comment that this could happen anywhere, and ask are there police on every corner in your city in the states.. Both points are very true..BUT!! Sosua is a tourist town, and the people who run the place need to come up with a way to protect the people who live, and especially the people who choose this place for a vacation.. Just watching that scene the other day had me realize that if you have a problem in Sosua, you are on your own..Just like the Wild Wild West..

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Ok, I am far from a Sosua basher, and i am always the first guy to defend the place.. But i have to be honest here..Now that llana Neumann and her beer selling partner have celebrated their victory over that shiester Victor, I think it is time that they get to work and bring in some more police in Sosua to protect the tourist that keep the place alive..

I was walking down Pedro Clisante the other day, and right near the scuba shop there was a big crowd of people that had gathered. There was a a few Dominican guys who had detained a very fragile looking Haitian guy that had apparently stole somthing from one of the businesses, and they were trying to make him give it back.. But the scary part is that one of the Dominican guys was waving around a knife that had to over a foot long..And as they were holding this Haitian guy, people were trying to call, or find the police.. After a few minutes, the Haitian broke free and smashed a bottle and waved around the glass to anyone who came close.

The scary part is there were no police in this highly popular area to be found..Now all the I love Sosua members are going to comment that this could happen anywhere, and ask are there police on every corner in your city in the states.. Both points are very true..BUT!! Sosua is a tourist town, and the people who run the place need to come up with a way to protect the people who live, and especially the people who choose this place for a vacation.. Just watching that scene the other day had me realize that if you have a problem in Sosua, you are on your own..Just like the Wild Wild West..

Even though Llana has some contacts in the Capitol I still think she won't get much cooperation from the PLD boys. As for policing, one of the main items on her "things to do" list includes the forming a Municipal Police force (A real one) to cover the security of both residents and tourists in Sosua. You won't see any PN in Sosua during the day. The odd drive-by but that's all. It's supposed to be the job of Politur but they never have more than 2 guys on the streets during the day and 0 at night. It's allways been the same. The only support Sosua gets from the PLD is during elections. After all most PLD biggies have vested interests on the other side of the island and are not really concerned about us. When Balaguer left, so did any police or other aid to us.

RenatoSosua

Bronze
Nov 8, 2006
groups.yahoo.com

Did anybody tried communicating directly with Ilana or her administration about this non-police situation?

Mar 2, 2008
rsg, good post, and good point.

I don't think anyone could mistake your post for Sosua bashing. You are obviously concerned about our community, and I think there are many others who share your concerns. We have a good community here, and if we could learn how to work together I am sure we could help improve the situation here.

One of the problems I see is that the community is divided and unsure of a common agenda. Since there are various and diverse interests here, and because there are so many differing points of view, it has been nearly impossible to organize the ex-pat community into any coherent group.

Honestly, I don't see this situation changing any time soon. I think the best we can hope for at this time is to unite around certain specific issues, such as the creation of a honest and viable police presence. Unfortunately, it will probably take a tragic event or series of events to happen before anything along those lines takes place.

I sincerely hope that it does not require such, but I'm not holding my breath.

In any event, it always helps to stay informed of the happening around town, like the incident that rsg reported on. Such reporting helps everyone to stay in tune with the local 'climate'.

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
The locals in Sosua seem to know how to keep safe, and they usually are not the easy targets the bad guys are looking for..it is Joe Shmoe tourist that may have a problem.. Who will they call for help? Who will help them?

Sosua is a great place to visit, the beach is one of the best on the Island.. But I just hope the place don't turn in to a scene from the mad max movie..let's be realistic here.. They pay the police a few hundred bucks a month, how could a town that survives off the tourist $$$ not be able to afford 4 or 5 cops to keep the streets safe?

But then again, I bet much of Sosuas money was just used to buy the house across the street from Clasicos...Another bar I bet....

Last edited:

aprildawn

Aug 26, 2010
I am looking into a vacation home in Sosua but after reading these post not so sure. How's Cabarete?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I am looking into a vacation home in Sosua but after reading these post not so sure. How's Cabarete?

Be sure you are getting advice from people who live here or who own a home/condo here and spend substantial amount of time here.

I have been living in the DR for 26 years and in Sosua for 10, full time living, and I would much rather live here than in Florida. Unless you spend a lot of time in the bars you don't see many of the things described on the board. If you go about your business in the same way that you do presently, you will be fine in either Sosua or Cabarette.

No, it is not perfect here, but I have yet to live in a place where there were no issues. If this board were about Florida, there would be many posts about crime, high taxes, bugs, etc, etc.

What you need to do is spend some time here and come to your own conclusion as to whether this is a place where you would enjoy living before you buy. By spending time I don't mean staying in an AI inclusive hotel, but renting an apartment or condo and getting the feel of what it is like to be a resident.

Reactions: woofsback and SKY

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Be sure you are getting advice from people who live here or who own a home/condo here and spend substantial amount of time here.

I have been living in the DR for 26 years and in Sosua for 10, full time living, and I would much rather live here than in Florida. Unless you spend a lot of time in the bars you don't see many of the things described on the board. If you go about your business in the same way that you do presently, you will be fine in either Sosua or Cabarette.

No, it is not perfect here, but I have yet to live in a place where there were no issues. If this board were about Florida, there would be many posts about crime, high taxes, bugs, etc, etc.

What you need to do is spend some time here and come to your own conclusion as to whether this is a place where you would enjoy living before you buy. By spending time I don't mean staying in an AI inclusive hotel, but renting an apartment or condo and getting the feel of what it is like to be a resident.
Nice post ken, I also like Sosua very much..But please tell me who is going to help you if 4 thugs are breaking in to your house at 3 am ? Are you going to call the police? Will they come within a hour? I guarantee you that you have your own form of protection, or i hope that you do..

Sosua is a great place to live or to visit, that is why the head honchos need to come up with a better police force to protect those who live here, and the tourist who come here and spend the $$$$..

lorriann

May 15, 2009
to whom it may concern....rsg

I have lived and worked and volunteered in Sousa for a fair amount of time and loved every moment of it. I am now safely in my home country and l will do everything in my power to alert the tourist going to the Sousa or anywhere near the northcoast.
My husband and myself were carjacked and shoot at in July of this year on our way home from work..did we ask for this are we stupid gingos because we own a car? Only because of all the stories from the locals and the people who can cut the crap, did that knowledge save our lives YES
You are on your own with any matters with the police l have seen it first hand if you think a new mayor is going to change things think again the more crimes they get away with makes for a good day at the office for the criminal, it's about all they have right now and to the guy thinking about buying a condo or house you need to do a lot of research and that includes the so called property management people.....realters
You can do all the forum you want on staying safe in the DR but you better be ready to kill to save yourself.
Thank you to the locals of Sousa please stay safe

Last edited:

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Sorry to hear about your car jacking incident lorriann..But as we all know, that type of crime can happen anywhere..But who the hell do you call for help in Sosua? You and your husband were lucky to escape such a horrific experience..But the average tourist, they probably wont be so lucky..

Aug 21, 2007
After reading Llana's statements regarding the finances of Sosua, maybe the cost of police protection is prohibitive. (Now, please know I am not sure who actually pays for this....)

Private $6,500; Corporal $7,500 Sargent $8,500; Sargent Major $9,000; Cadette $9,500; 2nd Lieutenant $12,000; 1st Ltn. $15,000; Captain $17,000; Major $24,000; Ltn Col. $28,000; Col $33,000; General $50,000; Major Gral.$70,000 Chief of Police $100,000.

But then again, it only seems expensive BEFORE the protection is actually needed.

Lindsey

Mar 2, 2008
I have heard that the previous administration left the municipality just about bankrupt. There isn't enough money to pay the past-due phone bill, and most of the phone lines have been disconnected. Obviously, many of ILana's progressive plans will have to be put on hold for awhile.

It appears that there is too much time between the elections and when the new administration actually takes over. That amount time gives any out-going mayor plenty of time to cover his tracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.