Job interviews

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
Can someone tell me what if any differences there are between job interviews in the DR and the USA; Other than the language? I have 2 next month in Santiago.

curlyq

Mar 20, 2006
I had a job interview in the Capital in May and the interviewer was an American, the company international.

He greeted me, gave me a two page multipal choice with 'what would I do in a situation like this?' kinda thing and an application form (in Spanish) attached to my resume.

He left me to complete both forms and said he would return. I waited, and waited, and waited in the heat of the afternoon...thank goodness I had my friend with me to keep me company.

I finally got tired of waiting as that sort of thing would never happen in Canada. Out of respect for a potential hire one should never be left to wait that long without the employer returning at some point to see if I had any questions. I looked at this as a lack of respect and not great practices for the company. But apparantly this is common practice in DR when it comes to job interviews. Good luck to you, and all the best.

curlyq

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I had a job interview in the Capital in May and the interviewer was an American, the company international.

He greeted me, gave me a two page multipal choice with 'what would I do in a situation like this?' kinda thing and an application form (in Spanish) attached to my resume.

He left me to complete both forms and said he would return. I waited, and waited, and waited in the heat of the afternoon...thank goodness I had my friend with me to keep me company.

I finally got tired of waiting as that sort of thing would never happen in Canada. Out of respect for a potential hire one should never be left to wait that long without the employer returning at some point to see if I had any questions. I looked at this as a lack of respect and not great practices for the company. But apparantly this is common practice in DR when it comes to job interviews. Good luck to you, and all the best.

curlyq

This is pretty common in the DR, sadly. That same American guy would have never done the same in America, but he saw the customs of how things gets done in the DR and adjusted. Sad.....

curlyq

Mar 20, 2006
Trainman I didn't stick around to find out. Made my decision that I wouldn't want to work for someone like that.

curlyq

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Also be prepared for all kinds of personal questions. It is perfectly legal here to ask how old you are, how old is your wife/husband, how many kids you have, are you planning for more kids, what time you brush your teeth.....;););)

They will ask pretty much anything they want.

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
What might make a difference too is that both interviews are with the government.
One is for a fire inspector trainee and the other is for an English speaking aide to a Diputada. I'm actually qualified for both things don't laugh.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Trainman, dress to impress, very important.

Do you have your cedula/residency? You can't work without that.

AE

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
Trainman, dress to impress, very important.

Do you have your cedula/residency? You can't work without that.

AE

That sounds like a chicken and the egg to me. Obviously I would start the process right away if hired. That would also give me the time I need to find a place to rent, move stuff down and so on.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
That sounds like a chicken and the egg to me. Obviously I would start the process right away if hired. That would also give me the time I need to find a place to rent, move stuff down and so on.

You can work while it cedula/residency is in progress. you don't have to have them before starting work.