Buying a small boat in DR

joannadee

Oct 2, 2007
I am looking to buy a small motor boat to use on the ocean for fishing etc- max price $6000 US. I am looking for a boat with correct paperwork (marina de guerra). Any suggestions ??

Please email : maurice_jozeph@hotmail.com

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
I am looking to buy a small motor boat to use on the ocean for fishing etc- max price $6000 US. I am looking for a boat with correct paperwork (marina de guerra). Any suggestions ??

Please email : maurice_jozeph@hotmail.com

Whereabouts on the coast are you?
If you're around the capital I may be able to help, if not there are other regular posters on the east and north coasts with appropriate contacts
Good luck and remember that the official definition of a boat (even a small one) is "a hole in the water into which you pour all your money"!
Bryan

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Yes Bryan,
I double the "Definition, ha ha.
6KUS for a Motorboat with a Motor?
sounds like a Very Small Motorboat.
a good low Horsepower Outboard Engine costs that,
and if you plan on fishing offshore I would not recommend to do so in a Boat with only one Engine on.
which part of the Island You plan to live and what exactly is the kinda Boat you are looking on?
chanchi style or Dingy or a boat similar to the 28ft bayliners or...?
correct paperwork for a boat is always the Up to Date renewed Matricula,
they are for all Boats due to be renovated each year in July.
that renovation always comes together with the Certificacion de Navegabilidad.
only buy a Boat from the Person who's name is shown in the Matricula.
in case you are on the east coast, that's my own 'hood,
I have boats in Cabeza de Toro, a Bertram 31ft, a Bertram 38ft, a Pacemaker 36ft, a 15ft Dingy, a 23ft Chanchi/Speedboat.
none of them is for sales, but if you are here in the area I may spread the word around that you look for a Boat, so it will be found, but you need to describe a bit more specific what kinda boat you are looking for.
cheers
Mike

drhans

Aug 26, 2010
for the money you want to spend you wont even get the engine.

i have a 16.5 ft wahoo with a 40HP 2006 mercury engine + a small 4 HP johnsons as backup for offshore trips, the engine alone goes for 7200 US at automarina santo domingo.

i may consider selling it, id be asking 12k

joannadee

Oct 2, 2007
boat

Hello ,
thx for message . We llive on the N. Coast . and were in contact already with Www.BotesDominicanos.Com. But looking for more options. If you can help please.

If you're around the capital I may be able to help, if not there are other regular posters on the east and north coasts with appropriate contacts
Good luck and remember that the official definition of a boat (even a small one) is "a hole in the water into which you pour all your money"!
Bryan[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

joannadee

Oct 2, 2007
boat

Hello ,

Sorry , but i have looked already at boats for +/- 5000 $ and they were fine . It is just what you are looking for . Please post only messages on here if you can help me . thx Maurice

i have a 16.5 ft wahoo with a 40HP 2006 mercury engine + a small 4 HP johnsons as backup for offshore trips, the engine alone goes for 7200 US at automarina santo domingo.

i may consider selling it, id be asking 12k[/QUOTE]

joannadee

Oct 2, 2007
boat

Hello ,

I am looking for a boat simular like the 17 ft .boston whaler 40 hp. (2008) centre console .(this boat is for sale in the D.R for 6200 $ , but trying for more options .So ,yes it would be nice if you could help.tx Maurice

I double the "Definition, ha ha.
6KUS for a Motorboat with a Motor?
sounds like a Very Small Motorboat.
a good low Horsepower Outboard Engine costs that,
and if you plan on fishing offshore I would not recommend to do so in a Boat with only one Engine on.
which part of the Island You plan to live and what exactly is the kinda Boat you are looking on?
chanchi style or Dingy or a boat similar to the 28ft bayliners or...?
correct paperwork for a boat is always the Up to Date renewed Matricula,
they are for all Boats due to be renovated each year in July.
that renovation always comes together with the Certificacion de Navegabilidad.
only buy a Boat from the Person who's name is shown in the Matricula.
in case you are on the east coast, that's my own 'hood,
I have boats in Cabeza de Toro, a Bertram 31ft, a Bertram 38ft, a Pacemaker 36ft, a 15ft Dingy, a 23ft Chanchi/Speedboat.
none of them is for sales, but if you are here in the area I may spread the word around that you look for a Boat, so it will be found, but you need to describe a bit more specific what kinda boat you are looking for.
cheers
Mike[/QUOTE]

drhans

Aug 26, 2010
looks perfect, go for it ;) its very similar to my wahoo, not a real offshore boat tho, but if you know what your doing, you should be pretty safe, and it shouldnt sink even if its filled with water or money lol

anyhow, on a 10 year old boat, check the transom, stringer etc. 95% sure it is rotten, at least the transom ;)

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Best boat-builder of the island: Aventura - Ultimate Tour Boats

I never heard about that best boat builder of the Island.
website looks good,
Fotos shown I couldn't figure out where they been taken.
do they have watersports clients here on the DR East Coast?, would like to check their product Life, as the #1 they sure have clients who run their Boats here on the East, the Caribbean's biggest Toursim waterbased destin.

to the questions above about the Boston Whalers etc etc in the 12-20ft range,
they never been in any way/point meant for OFFSHORE activities by their manufacturers.
of course they can be used for such, but I would always Recommend highly to not plan any real OFFSHORE activity without Twin Engines,
with a single engine on your Boat and just a lil Toy of a 6-15HP spare outboard aboard you really ask for trouble/Dead out there.
Sea Conditions can change within 30 minutes by most unexperienced sailors completely unexpected from a Flat Plate Sea Day to a dangerous Surf/Mess, and then a lil 6HP spare engine like mentioned in a Posting above would do absolutely nothing to move not even the smalles Dingy in heavy upcoming Sea.
of course that been meant for real Offshore activities.
if you plan to get some Dorados for the Fridge in the 2-4 nmls off the Beach area, there you will be save with anything floating.

one prior posting mentioned $7.200.- for a small 40HP Outboard, that rate sound's extremely steep to me, a 40HP 2 stroke Yamaha Outboard runs here Brand New for around 4K, including to be mounted on the Boat, ready to run. of course the much more economic and also more reliable 4 stroke engines run for more, but not for double. If Automarina offers such for 7.2K I would name such offer a Rip Off.
here in the area during the last 6-7 months we sold 3 Bayliners, 19ft 21ft and 23ft, the 17ft been a very ole one with just a 85HP 2 stroke on, the 21ft'er been in top shape with a 150HP 2 stroke on, engine and boat in great condition, it sold for $8.500.- with the Trailer, of course with the papers in the name of the seller.
they are rare around the east coast, maybe there are more found up there on the North where you life.
at the moment a Neighbour of mine painted newly his small Bayliner, a good condition 115HP 2 stroke Yamaha outboard on, but I don't know what range of rate he would ask for, I would range it somewere around 5K'sUS.
but such Boat is of course completely unsuitable for a safe Offsore adventure, they are pleasure Boats to be used inside of the Reef areas/inshore, for some private snorkeling, light tackle fishing at the reef, cruising around the area on the weekends, on a very quiet calm day with flat offshore Sea(that's flat 3-4ft on a extremely calm day here) it could be used to do some light tackle trolling in the weedlines/current hits in the 2-4nmls area off the Reef, all further out with the small Dingies is irresponsible looking for trouble/danger, a simple dirty Gasoline Filter can be the Killer of People with such Boat on Offshore sea's, and the island really got enou suc incidents te last years.
cheers
Mike

joannadee

Oct 2, 2007
boat

Hello Mike ,

I do take your advice on the boats/safety on the sea. But what is an example , and how much are the costs for a good off-shore fishing boat .What i can find in the D.R . I am driving this week to La Romana and hope to see something there.I really can not spend too much more than the 6000$.Can you advise? thx Maurice

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
a good offshore Boat, suitable for save offshore activity, ranges 27-30ft and uses 2 Engines, 2 outboards or 2 inboards, such is very far out of reach for 6KUS, a used small inboard engine costs more per engine than that, sorry.
only good quality offshore tackle costs several K's for he Billfish Hunt.
in the 5-15K US Range you can only get pleasure Boats with smaller single Outboard Engines, suitable for reef or inshore fishing, Family rides, some private snorkeling. small real offshore Boats start around 30KUS, and that's just the start.
good luck
Mike

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Here you go joannadee,

After some careful consideration I've decided to let my boat go.

a>

a>

a>

a>

It has a 30hp Suzuki 2 stroke. Year 2004, very low hours.

Matricula and papers from Marina de Guerra.

New steering teleflex and throttle cables.

New swivel bass seats.

Perfect for fishing.

And most importantly a brand new full length bimini top.

I'll let you have it for $6,500 the bargain of the century! I wasn't thinking about selling it, but it doesn't get enough use, so it would be much better to go to a new home where it could be enjoyed.

el lobo loco

Jul 25, 2010
There is a gentleman in Samana that will build your boat from a casted model.
The material is fibercast 19 ft in length ideal for outboard motors. He registers it with the name you provide and he provides all neccessary documents with the boat. I'll have to look for his number if your interested.
When I had a couple boats made they were perfectly constructed and my total cost was $3,600 per boat this includes delivery. (this was 2 1/2 yrs ago)

There is a gentleman named Tony (el cubano) who is an authorized dealer for Yamaha outboard motors. He also owns a fish market in puerto plata he can assist you with the purchase of the motor.
prices vary depending on the size of the motor.

Just putting it out there as an option

el lobo loco

Jul 25, 2010
Here you go joannadee,

After some careful consideration I've decided to let my boat go.

a>

a>

a>

a>

It has a 30hp Suzuki 2 stroke. Year 2004, very low hours.

Matricula and papers from Marina de Guerra.

New steering teleflex and throttle cables.

New swivel bass seats.

Perfect for fishing.

And most importantly a brand new full length bimini top.

I'll let you have it for $6,500 the bargain of the century! I wasn't thinking about selling it, but it doesn't get enough use, so it would be much better to go to a new home where it could be enjoyed.

Didnt see this as I was posting
this is a good buy

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Yes,
that Boat looks like in very good shape, not rundown like so many offered around.
for that price it is a good deal, worth the money spent.
I personally would use on such Boat a 85HP Outboard at least, such Engine would then on normal Use work very smoothly and if you run outside of the Reef once in a while and you get caught in a bit higher Sea the bigger Engine would allow to climb higher waves from the backside and surf back in safely.
very nice Boat.

also a good advice from Lobo Loco,
a 19ft'er brand new built in Fiberglass with all Papers done for $3.600.- is a good Buy. the Mainimporter for Yamaha Outboards is located in St Domingo, named Giraldez, for example a 60HP Yamaha 2 stroke outboard costs around $4.800.-, they offer delivery Islandwide.
if thinking about the Purchase of a New Engine I would Today's personally only consider 4 stroke Outboards, they last longer, much less maintenance necessary, hand much more economical on Gas usage than the Oily 2 strokes.

have Fun on the water
Mike