Your #1 tip for a newcomer?

Janny

Aug 25, 2010
Hey there -

We're Canadian, currently living in Texas and planning a move to DR. Lots and lots of questions, very happy to have found this site. We plan on a 'beach' lifestyle (swimming. snorkling, etc. really big with us). I'd love to hear your one piece of advice would be if you had to hone the list down to just one.

Also, would love to hear from anyone about access to horses, or horse ownership. Having trouble with the idea of leaving that behind.

Thanks so much~!

[[/U]

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Hey there -

We're Canadian, currently living in Texas and planning a move to DR. Lots and lots of questions, very happy to have found this site. We plan on a 'beach' lifestyle (swimming. snorkling, etc. really big with us). I'd love to hear your one piece of advice would be if you had to hone the list down to just one.

Also, would love to hear from anyone about access to horses, or horse ownership. Having trouble with the idea of leaving that behind.

Thanks so much~![[/U]
All of the above is available here if the price is right. Continue searching DR1 and you will find your answers.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Spanish (people will be friendlier, and things will be cheaper)
Definitely an open mind, and a sense of adventure

And is there a country in the world where money does not help?

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
loads of horses around Sosua so you dont been to leave it behind

No 1 tip - dont get upset by people you dont know on message boards

Janny

Aug 25, 2010
Question about learning Spanish - is it a possibility to hire a local teacher/translater, someone to help us learn about the language, country, culture, and help us to not make stupid mistakes, etc?

We definitely have the open mind. Definitely looking forward to the adventure. We're not loaded, but are solvent and hope to buy a home.

Really appreciate the advice.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
I have a hot tip for you.....

Hey there -

Thanks so much~!

[[/U]

Patience......:cheeky::cheeky:

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Expect the unexpected...or even better, manage your expectations and keep them realistic.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
I wouldn’t put too much stock in the advice to learn Spanish if you are coming here to live the “beach lifestyle”. There are plenty of Expat alcoves where you can live that lifestyle without knowing Spanish. There are plenty of English speaking Expats and Dominicans in the business sector that cater to non Spanish speakers. You just need to find the place that suits you.

Usually the “Learn the Language” mantra comes from people that are either boasting that they are bilingual or are genuinely offering good advice to people coming to DR wishing to open a business or live among locals. Since you didn’t mention either of these scenarios in your original post, I wouldn’t worry so much about learning Spanish; you will eventually learn enough of it if you move to DR.

My advice is to first “test the waters”. Rent a condo or beach villa for a few months or longer before committing to anything. Another great piece of advice comes from the poster Cobraboy in a past thread …. In summary he wisely recommends that your income be generated from abroad (your home country).

Good Luck !!!

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
Leave logic at the airport that you arrive at here in the DR! It’s a waste of time bringing it in.:cheeky:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The undersigned, being of sound mind and body, resting on nearly half a century of experience in the Dominican Republic, does hereby affirm and attest that the above opinions are a set of valid axioms for newcomers to the country.

Tongue-in-cheek aside, you got great advice. Go slow, rent, look about and then take the big step.

There are several places where horses are a part of the scene. Not all are on the beach, but the beach is not far away. My take is why be weighed down with "your" beach when there are dozens of beaches to choose from, and hundreds of places to snorkle. Really, there are!!

HB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The more you divorce yourself from the "Back home, it used to be..." thoughts, the easier and more enjoyable your immersion will be.

You aren't back home, things are different...very different...from the cozy, well-run, orderly bureaucracy of the First World.

Embrace the change...

mello809

Aug 18, 2010
I know exacly what belgink is trying to say...I am a Dominican, and I have been leaving in the USA, NY. ..For the last 38 years...the last two years I am in Istanbul, Turkey...If they see that I dont speak Turkish, they will always charge me twice as mush....It seems this is almost everywhere...therefore, my advice would be to be more careful, and do research before you make a big move like this...I left the DR when i was 14 years old..and i am also planning on moving back...of course my advantage is that i speak Spanish...and even so i will have to be very careful...I would like to see where i can build a horse ranch not too far from the beach...since the DR is not such a big country..distances are not much of a problem...I think bringing in a 4/4 would be a good idea....I hope to be there soon.....Good Luck!!

May 29, 2006
Don't worry about problems Dominicans don't worry about and have accepted as part of daily living. Blackouts are going to happen, there is going to be litter in areas and the way people drive would be good examples. Waiting in line at a bank for 20 minutes to half an hour is normal depending on what day you go.