Dominican mountains versus Costa Rican ones

Jan 3, 2003
I love mountains. I love them a whole lot.

I've seen the mountain ranges of Spain and the DR. I pick the mountain ranges of the DR over Spain. Constanza especially by the old cemetery has an unbelievable view of three massive mountains and their ranges which are singular in beauty, structure and form.

Also, the mountain ranges between San Jose de Ocoa and Constanza have a crater formation with ranges in the adjacent areas making you feel as a puny pawn versus its awe inspiring majestic power. In Jarabacoa, I did not see any mountain views worth mentioning or in San Jose de Ocoa proper.

Is there anything comparable in Costa Rica?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think Costa Rica has a much differen flora and fauna. More rains, much lower, I think. They advertize like jungles and stuff, which maybe with the exception of the cloud forests of Neiba, we don't really have here. Ours are mostly pine forests inthe Central Cordillera.

I am dying to get down to Neiba area. I have heard some incredible stories about that area....

HB

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
I think Costa Rica has a much differen flora and fauna. More rains, much lower, I think. They advertize like jungles and stuff, which maybe with the exception of the cloud forests of Neiba, we don't really have here. Ours are mostly pine forests inthe Central Cordillera.

I am dying to get down to Neiba area. I have heard some incredible stories about that area....

HB

Costa Rica has a strict government policy about keeping their piece of the rain forest and other fauna/flora intact. One example is high taxes on incoming tourists, another is strict laws of building near beaches (100M from all coast lines are preservations for fauna/flora and cannot be build on).
They are doing a fantastic job and I too would love to visit Costa Rica one day.

JFD

Feb 10, 2010
I know both and both are greats. CR get an advantage with the organization of tourism in the forest and the mountain. The DR should follow their lead, we have a lot to learn.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
One example is high taxes on incoming tourists
Costa Rica has a $26 tourist entry tax, the DR $20.

Costa Rica has a net 16% sales tax, the DR a net 16% sales tax.

Airline taxes/fees: Costa Rica around $65, the DR around $140.

The DR has higher tourist taxes.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
OC, when you're in Jarabacoa, you're IN the mountains so you don't really see "a" mountain anywhere. Even in Manabao or Constanza you're at a higher altitude but don't see big peaks in the distance.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I rescued this guy from the cats last Saturday, and sent him on his way down the hill...

Snake.jpg

T809

Mar 8, 2010
snakes arent the problem. its the gigantic poisonous, scary and fast as hell centipedes you have to worry about. that and those huge spiders ( which are supposed to actually be quite docile) so i dont worry about that too much. those centipedes get like a foot longand eat snakes, birds, rats. i think theyre pretty much the biggest predators on the island.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 3, 2003
oops, then I had one in my garden two weeks ago who had lost its way :cheeky:

So if you take a stroll through a CR mountain, a snake can hurt you.

OC, when you're in Jarabacoa, you're IN the mountains so you don't really see "a" mountain anywhere.

Okie dokie :)

Even in Manabao or Constanza you're at a higher altitude but don't see big peaks in the distance.

Go to the OLD CEMETERY and sit on the cemetery wall. You'll see mountain peaks in all directions and mountains behind mountains till they are hazy in the background. They are quite impressive.

I like mountains because they are really really tall

Me too :)