Ola Internet service - Anybody using it?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We have a neighbor who is going on a week of non-response from Codetel who is not repairing their VIP+ telephone and internet service. They are ready to pull the plug on Codetel and are investigating their options which are few in the Cabarete area. They are looking at Ola as a provider.

www.tek.com.do

The web page is a typical useless thrown together web page, so common here in the DR, and that concerns me when I see that approach to marketing.

I understand they have two plans, a residential and a business plan. The business plan that is currently 1.0 Mb/s and is going to be 1.5 Mb/s in one month is what they are interested in. It is a wireless system with a $100 installation cost.

Does anyone have experience with Ola? Actual speed, customer service, reliability?

Last edited by a moderator:

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
I have this service

I've been with them since they started about a year ago and went through some growing pains. However, they were always quick with the repairs if it went down. Since they opened the actual store in Cabarete I have not had any issues and would recomend them. The customer service has been good, they send your bill online, the internet relieable, the speed seems to be what they claim, sorry don't actually know how fast it is, I'm technically challenged :) but I'm very happy with it.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
As far as I'm aware they only offer service in Cabarete.

I'm sure they have a bunch of Codetel lines that they are sharing via wireless and cable in some cases. You might want to ask them what redundancy they have and who they are buying service from.

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
I believe....

they have towers from Santiago to Puerto Plata.....at least that's what I was told a year ago. Not sure if they have service available yet in all areas.
Cost is for home service: $999RD plus tax so approx. $1,200/mth. You do have to buy the radio receiver for set up...one time cost approx. $5-6000RD.

Give them a call....PM me if you want their number or see their full page ad in this week's Adscene.

yb

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2007
I'm sure they have a bunch of Codetel lines that they are sharing via wireless and cable in some cases.

Most o the badwidth for competitive Internet providers (e.g. cable Internet companies, etc.) is still provided by Codetel and Centennial PR.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Could you post the results of a speed test, please?

they have towers from Santiago to Puerto Plata.....at least that's what I was told a year ago. Not sure if they have service available yet in all areas.
Cost is for home service: $999RD plus tax so approx. $1,200/mth. You do have to buy the radio receiver for set up...one time cost approx. $5-6000RD.

Give them a call....PM me if you want their number or see their full page ad in this week's Adscene.

yb

Thank you for the response. From the price you are paying you have the lower speed plan. The higher speed which is supposed to be 1.5 Mbps is $1,499 per month and I assume plus taxes. I see their ad in the adscene.

Could you do this and post the results if you have the time? Go to this web site:

Speakeasy - Speed Test

Select Atlanta for a location and post the numbers you get. They should be something like 600Kbps for download and 200Kbps for upload or possibly it will be in Mbps. I would appreciate it if you could do that. I just got 1.19 Mpbs download and 0.12 Mbps upload for example.

Tekcom

Mar 31, 2011
Ola, Internet from Tekcom

Hello everyone, thank you for your Interest.
Following is some information for all.

Tekcom is a licensed service provider with direct connection to the Internet. We don't resell Codetel or any other company's internet.

Currently we offer Premium Internet starting at 2Meg, and up to 10Meg Business and Residential.

Service is available in Puerto Plata, Sosua, Cabarete, and soon covering the entire North Coast

We have special pricing for new customers throughout the month of April.

The services are Pre-Paid, and without contracts.
Activation/Installation starts at US150.00
Services Start at US$40 per month.

We also offer Pre-Paid phone services.

Thanks to all:) Catch the Internet Wave. Ola Internet from Tekcom

Last edited by a moderator:

BradM

Sep 6, 2007
I am too having issues with Codetel, I actually sent a complaint to Indotel this week, so I too am looking for a new provider.

I had a look at your website, and there is virtually no information there. What is the uplink speed of your plans? What kind of technology are you using? How does the number of simultaneous users affect performance? For example with cable you bottleneck at the closest node, with DSL you bottleneck at the upstream router. Does the installation charge include the purchase/rent/loan of the equipment? Who pays to repair in the event of a failure? What is your leadtime on an install? You say services start at US$40, but your website says your 2Mb plan is US$75. You say installation starts at US$150, please explain how start applies to installation and what the additional charges beyond US$150 are.

Hello everyone, thank you for your Interest.
Following is some information for all.

Tekcom is a licensed service provider with direct connection to the Internet. We don't resell Codetel or any other company's internet.

Currently we offer Premium Internet starting at 2Meg, and up to 10Meg Business and Residential.

Service is available in Puerto Plata, Sosua, Cabarete, and soon covering the entire North Coast

We have special pricing for new customers throughout the month of April.

The services are Pre-Paid, and without contracts.
Activation/Installation starts at US150.00
Services Start at US$40 per month.

We also offer Pre-Paid phone services.

Thanks to all:) Catch the Internet Wave. Ola Internet from Tekcom