Dominicans are nicer...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
..than most other people when it comes to most anything other than doing business (customer service/negotiating) and possible driving. Surpisingly I find my fellow countrymen to be nicer when doing business but lacking when it comes to other interactions. This goes for Europeans too at least from my experiance from living in Germany and traveling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NALs and AlterEgo

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
In my humble opinion, Dominicans are nicer when you are in jail, in hospital or dead. They are also nicer when you break down on the road and will help you change a tyre. They are friendlier in the street, and in shops and businesses when you know them.

However, they will appear to be nicer when they are lawyers, doctors, or when they think they can make money out of you. They are experts at being nice when they think that one day you can do something for them. Funnily enough, the richer or more powerful they think you are, the nicer they are to you.

For the first time visitor you think they are fantastic, what a friendly country. For the longer time expat, just be careful as this 'niceness', may hide an ulterior motive.

Having said that, the illusion of friendliness is much more pleasant than the reality of 'I don't give a ****ness' of other countries. Just know it for what it often is. Do not be deceived not naive.

Matilda

Reactions: badpiece33

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Matilda

I appreciate your opinion. However, being a relatively long term expat as well my experience in most areas of the country is that I have found Dominicans to be much more friendly and open that their European counterparts. At least with my case I doubt it has little do with money as I'm not a big spender and never go to bars, etc.

As far as doctors go, I have personally saved thousands of pesos due to close relationships with family members(RD15k for a Cesarean and a free surgery(ok RD1000) for my wife in 2000 valued at US35k at Florida Hospital) and as for lawyers the most I've ever paid one is RD500 to create a sales contract and letter of guarante.

I'm just constantly impressed by my local neighbors interest in my well being and those I interact with on a daily basis(colmado and supermecado) not to mention all the extended family and friends of family. BTW I never give money out except for a time when I gave US300 for a biopsy of a young cousin who had cancer. That extended his life for 7 years as he just passed away so it was well worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
Chip, I tend to agree with you. For the most part the Dominicans I've met will go out of their way to help you and not always with an eye for making money. I remember when my car had battery problems one day and my taxi driver friend was helping me get and install a new battery - which did not work (ended up not being fully charged)....regardless, as we were fiddling around with the things several local neighbors came out and volunteered their opinions and physical help. I was/ am impressed over all.

I've been going to DR for about 5 years now and tell the truth I've not had any bad experiences personally to date.

genistar

Jul 29, 2009
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Chip, you're 100% correct!

Dominicans are among the nicest and friendliest people I've ever met. Even stepping in and out of a guagua is a friendly situation most times with many people saying hello with a smile.

Mat, I disagree with you. Perhaps SOME Dominicans will attempt to take advantage of you with some alterior motive... but that's the exception. In Toronto if someone's too nice I immediately put my guard up. In the DR it's the norm and a breath of fresh air. Well, aside from customer service of course. They need some improvement there.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chip, I often wonder if we Dominicans are extra nice to some foreigners... you know, the lambonismo effect...

Are you implying brown nosing to get some type of advantage?

This doesn't explain the treatment I get among the family and the village where my wife is from though as I don't give out money. After 10 years there would be no reason to think your going to get something out of somebody.

Also, what about my frequent travels and convesations with people. You buy a lunch for RD120 and you have a pleasant conversation with a stranger or two and I doubt the proprietor is trying to sell anything more.

Granted I have found that Dominicans find Americans and America quite interesting so they always like to know things. Many too are surprised by my Spanish and the fact that my wife is Dominican and that I live in the DR. However, this can't be the case for every personal interaction either because some are very brief.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
As a further rebuttal of the "brown nosing theory" are the two surgeries my wife has had. One was a kidney surgery performed by reknowned Urologist Dr. Fausto here in Santiago for a gift of RD1000 that was valued at US35,000 in 2000 and the other was a Cesarean done for RD15k by Dr. Ottenwalder done in 2007. In both cases my cu?ada coordinated this but the doctors knew my wife's husband was American as I had met them. These were done as favors and Dominicans do stuff like this all the time.

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
As a further rebuttal of the "brown nosing theory" are the two surgeries my wife has had. One was a kidney performed by reknowned Urologist Dr. Fausto here in Santiago for a gift of RD1000 that was valued at US35,000 in 2000 and the other was a Cesarean done for RD15k by Dr. Ottenwalder done in 2007. In both cases my cu?ada coordinated this but the doctors knew my wife's husband is American as I had met them. These were done as favors and Dominicans do stuff like this all the time.

Are you talking about the doctor or your sister in law? Gawd I would hope a sister would be doing something for her sister yipeeeee. You're comparing surgery in the DR in 2000 to one in the USA? So you're saying surgery is cheaper in the DR ;)

Yes Chip, Dominicans are friendly people what's your point?:ermm:

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
It strikes me that Dominicans are wonderful friendly people unless -

You are seen to have something worth having.
At that point you have to be careful.
It has never happened to me because I have never been seen to have anything worth taking away, but I know many, many people who have been stripped of their wealth using varying degrees of illegality by the locals in conjunction with the "law".

You talk about living in Santiago on 1500US$ per month so you would hardly be a target for this.

Talk to all those people on this board who have been the victim of a "Sosua Shanghai" involving local lawyers, the Fiscal and usually an unscrupulous expat.

Not that it is just a Dominican thing, of course, but it is a matter of national pride among some unscrupulous Dominicans to empty the Gringo wallet - mainly in the tourist areas.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
In my humble opinion, Dominicans are nicer when you are in jail, in hospital or dead. They are also nicer when you break down on the road and will help you change a tyre. They are friendlier in the street, and in shops and businesses when you know them.

However, they will appear to be nicer when they are lawyers, doctors, or when they think they can make money out of you. They are experts at being nice when they think that one day you can do something for them. Funnily enough, the richer or more powerful they think you are, the nicer they are to you.

For the first time visitor you think they are fantastic, what a friendly country. For the longer time expat, just be careful as this 'niceness', may hide an ulterior motive.

Having said that, the illusion of friendliness is much more pleasant than the reality of 'I don't give a ****ness' of other countries. Just know it for what it often is. Do not be deceived not naive.

Matilda

Matilda, I think you hit the nail on the head...especially given your vast experiences in the DR.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Matilda, I think you hit the nail on the head...especially given your vast experiences in the DR.

I guess my more than 5 years living here and the fact I've been coming here more than 10 years don't count?

More and more I'm convinced the tourists areas and everywhere else are worlds if not galaxies apart.

Mar 2, 2008
Chip, why are you so adamant about this? You have your opinion, and others, who are equally experienced, have their own. So why turn this into a "one-up, I have more experience than you" thread?

I have met many friendly Dominicans who have been very nice to me, with no ulterior motive. I have also met many who have been very nice while trying to take something from me. In addition, I have have met many who weren't very nice at all, and still tried to rob me.

In other words, there are all types here, the same as there are all types everywhere. There is no need to quarrel over the obvious.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chip, why are you so adamant about this? You have your opinion, and others, who are equally experienced, have their own. So why turn this into a "one-up, I have more experience than you" thread?

I haven't stated that I have anymore experience than other just that I do have sufficient experience.

I have met many friendly Dominicans who have been very nice to me, with no ulterior motive. I have also met many who have been very nice while trying to take something from me. In addition, I have have met many who weren't very nice at all, and still tried to rob me.

I have had the same experience but will state that by far the majority of the interactions here have fallen into the first category. Therefore, is it not possible that the location may have something to do with it? Why does what goes for Sosua or Juan Dolio have to go for everywhere here in the DR?

There is no need to quarrel over the obvious.

I see it merely as discussing and clarification.