Best Pastelitos or Kipe in Santo Domingo

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
Looking for great places to get Pastelitos or Kipe in the Capital.

I have been to Santo Domingo, Juan Dolio, Cabarete, and La Vega. I have not found one good Pastelito or Kipe in all my travels around the country. I live in NYC so there are good places here so i know what i am looking for....

so far i have experienced :
not enough filler
cold inside
soggy outside

i dont mind the filler issue but the main Pastelitos i have run into are the stale, cold, or soggy kind

Any suggestions on places in Santo Domingo?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
For me, hands down, the best pastelitos I've had in DR are at Cheo's Empanadas on Playa Palenque - at the far end that they call Cocolandia. He makes the dough from yuca and to me they are worth the trip out there, haha. Menu filling depends on the day, but my favorites are shrimp and lambi. He doesn't cook them until they are ordered - they're served hot and crisp and yummmmmy. His mom has the restaurant right behind him - Dona Mary.

In the capital, well, different story. There used to be a lady who sat in the park at the eastern end of the malecon - her name escapes me. She sells them there [the small ones], and takes orders for parties, etc. We stopped and tried some once and we were hooked. I don't know if she's still there, older woman, attractive, white Dominican. I bet if you asked any of the people sitting around about her and they will either point her out or tell you where she lives [right near there]. As soon as you pass that last block with the LLave del Mar restaurant and the strip joint there's a street, look in the first strip of grass on the right of that little street.

Our family uses several places to order them for big family get-togethers, some are bakeries and some are ladies who make them in their own kitchens.

AE

Reactions: waytogo

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
yes sir! the San Cristobal area is great for pastelitos! :)
playa palenque brings back some good memories.
I can attest for the region since my wife and her family are from there and make some great pastelitos....

neftali50

Nov 11, 2008
Pastelitos Independencia

I don't remember the name of but there are a place at the Independencia Ave. in Santo Domingo, check this link: Pastelitos a 10 pesos — Duarte101 and see how many people go to this place just to buy pastelitos and the best of all starting at $$10 pesos. for me the best kipes you can find on the street are the Empanadas Monumental there are a lot of this carritos in the country.

yb1

Oct 6, 2008
Kipes La Romana

If you're ever in La Romana and fancy a good kipe visit Shish Kabab restaurant on Fco Castillo Marquez (between Duarte and Altagracia). The best kipes I've tasted - just the right crispness on the outside, plenty of filling, flavour, non greasy and freshly made. They keep a fresh batch behind the counter and do takeaways too.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
The best kipes and pastelitos are usually homemade(not for resale)-no skimping on the materials and a close attention to the quality of the raw materials and consumed on the spot...IMHO.

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
For me, grabbing a quipe off a tray just coming out of the kitchen at Paco's Cafeteria (sorry I can never remember what the heck the new name is) at the end of El Conde have been the best. I have also had them at Villar Hermanos cafe, but you never know how old they are and they were cold inside.

And, since it's Friday and no one has posted any funnies, go to Google and search for "Urban Dictionary Quipe" , and read their two definitions - your free chuckle for the day.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
And, since it's Friday and no one has posted any funnies, go to Google and search for "Urban Dictionary Quipe" , and read their two definitions - your free chuckle for the day.
:surprised Maybe it's time to go back to its Middle Eastern roots and call it a kibbe - or at least kipe as it's sometimes spelt in the DR.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Best Pastelitos in SD are in the Honduras sector in a business everybody calls "La Fila". Those are the best by FAR!!

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
:surprised Maybe it's time to go back to its Middle Eastern roots and call it a kibbe - or at least kipe as it's sometimes spelt in the DR.
I posted about "kipe" because I saw a food segment yesterday by Anthony Bourdain from Beirut, Lebanon(2007, 2010) and it was one of the foods profiled although not in the same short-torpedo-shaped made in the DR. The ingredients mentioned were identical. The pronunciation sounded(to my untrained ear)like kipe.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The kibbes I've seen in the Middle East are very similar if not identical to their Dominican cousins although I think they can also be round pies. Why "kibbes" became "kipes" in the DR? Could be something to do with the way Arabic speakers pronounce P as B.