HIV/AIDS hospice on the north coast?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
is there any clinic or a charity organization that takes care of people with HIV or AIDS? somewhere where they can receive help, medicine and maybe pass last days peacefully and painlessly?
anyone heard about anything?

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I have no idea, DV8, but would like to know as well...

I lost a very good and dear friend to Aids about 23 years ago, and was horrified at the time how all his so called friends deserted him....

Any info on this would be appreciated, and would love to take part...

Peter

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
is there any clinic or a charity organization that takes care of people with HIV or AIDS? somewhere where they can receive help, medicine and maybe pass last days peacefully and painlessly?
anyone heard about anything?

Get in touch with Dr. Ellen Koenig in Santo Domingo, who runs the Instituto Dominicano De Estudios Virologicos [HIV/AIDS Clinic]. She or her office can certainly give you that information, she's a remarkable woman.

AE

Aug 21, 2007
There are two AIDS clinics in Puerto Plata. One is downtown, near the Brugal Hospital. The other is across the highway from Playa Dorado by Integracion Juvenil. The organization running it is called CEPROSH, funded in part by the Clinton Foundation. They do diagnositcs and provide meds, but there is no hospice type of facility there. There are some local missions that sometimes help out individuals who are in final stages, but as far as I am aware, no hospital or living facilities for these individuals is available on the North Coast.

Lindsey

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
from what i know the person is in the last stages of the disease with not much time left.
i will direct then to CEPROSH anyways, maybe they can help a bit...

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
Get in touch with Dr. Ellen Koenig in Santo Domingo, who runs the Instituto Dominicano De Estudios Virologicos [HIV/AIDS Clinic]. She or her office can certainly give you that information, she's a remarkable woman.

AE

I second this suggestion. My former employer worked with her quite a bit and the DR is lucky to have a woman like her working on HIV/AIDS issues.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
thank you guys.
i will keep this info in mind for the future. unfortunately the person i looked to help has passed away today. rest in peace...

Aug 21, 2007
thank you guys.
i will keep this info in mind for the future. unfortunately the person i looked to help has passed away today. rest in peace...

So sorry for you and your friend. I know from experience, it is heart breaking.

Lindsey

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
thank you guys.

Sorry for the loss. Amazing that you tried to make the effort to make this persons final days "comfortable".

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i did not do anything, i was supposed to go and see them tomorrow with diapers and some medicine and i was late, i was late with eveything...
i did not try hard enough!

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
dv8, you came here soliciting helpful advice and useful info. Dont beat yourself up...sadly it would not have changed the outcome.