I need some dummies!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
No, not you guys, I mean manikins/mannequins (?), those life-sized figures that can be used for demonstrations of first aid and EMT training.

It so happened that after class yesterday, one of my new students, a guy from NYC, comes up and says he has 8 years experience as an EMT person in New York City, working the Bronx and other "interesting areas" of the city.

He is not your basic freshman, that is for sure. He is a typical Dominican from New York, although with much better Spanish. But he is a real public servant, also. No chains or bling. The kid is from single parent, welfare, what he called "two jean" up-bringing. Here he is studying on Pell Grants which at PUCMM allow him to cover all of his studies.

Now, why dummies?

I do out-reach to some communities in the hills and valleys. Dental and medical. The health component usually involves first aid, often common sense stuff ( how to fight off diarrhea in children or how to stem a deep cut, or even how to give birth in an emergency) taught by pros. This guy told me about these dummies, which he could not afford, but which are used in classes in the US.

It seems that they are life-like with disposable plastic mouth pieces (for mouth to mouth training) and life-like insides too. But they are expensive.

We need three sizes: Baby, Child, Adult (female).

Anybody out there in Etherland know of these or where to get them or if there are people who can supply them??? (Free is best, of course!!). With this guy on the team, our ability to change lives increases by a whole lot.

What say ye all???

HB, never looking back, something might be gaining on me!@!

May 29, 2006
You are looking for a Resusci-Annie CPR torso along with the child and baby models. I would hope that any EMT/firehouse/hospital would have them to loan out or at least use on their site. We had ours borrowed from local hospitals when I took the course.

They are complicated devices since the airway has to be positioned correctly and the nose sealed to make the dummy's chest rise and they have a plastic heart with a gel inside. The ones I've trained on did not have disposable mouth parts so they were sprayed with disinfectant between use.

Good luck with the course. He can do a lot just by teaching mouth-to-mouth and treating shock.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...fbfd00e&itemid=160462606618&ff4=263602_263622

T809

Mar 8, 2010
are those REALLY necessary? there has to be something better for that money to go to. hire a nice girl and guy to play the dummy, have them and all the rescuers be tested for things like hepatitis or whatever. better to practice on real people, unless you're doing cpr...
but how much could a dummy help with learning cpr? you could still follow all the steps of cpr on a real person without actually applying pressure. if not real people, i'm sure they could rig something up. they're dominicans! mouth to mouth isnt a complicated thing to do.
you could just wrap some suran wrap over their mouth and pretend youre blowing into the lungs. no need to spend thousands or whatever on dummies just so you can see the chest filling with air. they'll be able to see that easily when they have to do the real thing. maybe i'm wrong. but i think it would be a huge waste of money. maybe call a place that teaches these things and see if they think it's really needed.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
are those REALLY necessary? there has to be something better for that money to go to. hire a nice girl and guy to play the dummy, have them and all the rescuers be tested for things like hepatitis or whatever. better to practice on real people, unless you're doing cpr...
but how much could a dummy help with learning cpr? you could still follow all the steps of cpr on a real person without actually applying pressure. if not real people, i'm sure they could rig something up. they're dominicans! mouth to mouth isnt a complicated thing to do.
you could just wrap some suran wrap over their mouth and pretend youre blowing into the lungs. no need to spend thousands or whatever on dummies just so you can see the chest filling with air. they'll be able to see that easily when they have to do the real thing. maybe i'm wrong. but i think it would be a huge waste of money. maybe call a place that teaches these things and see if they think it's really needed.

I have a degree in urgent medical assistance myself, and yes those dummies are necessary. You can simulate all you want, but those dummies allow you to do the real thing, and to see if you are doing it correctly... (how to breath, how much pressure to apply, etc...)

HB, maybe it would be an idea to contact the airports as I'm sure their fire-brigades use them for training, and would be willing to loan them, or have some older models lying around...

If you want, I can ask a captain in SD Las Americas...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
While I tend to be doubtful, please do ask. I will see what Santiago Fire Dept has on hand.
Surely there must be some sort of foundation that can provide these for Third World countries???
HB

May 29, 2006
Yes the dummies are absolutely required. You can't just play act when learning CPR. You have to push down on the chest with 10-20 pounds of force and breath into the dummy with the same amount of force as when blowing up a balloon. Older people often get ribs broken when getting CPR. If there is an obstruction, you have to stick your fingers into the victim's mouth. You are also training 5-10 people who usually do it wrong at first. They have to train doing it alone, then with a helper and they have to be able to do it for five or more minutes.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
While I tend to be doubtful, please do ask. I will see what Santiago Fire Dept has on hand.
Surely there must be some sort of foundation that can provide these for Third World countries???
HB

Screw that, dont waste your time and save yourself the anguish of odd looks when you describe to the "FIRE DEPARTMENT" what First Aid is.

Listen if this class is an outreach program you want to teach run through PUCMM then what you should do is drop an email to the Catholic Mission Medical Board in Manhattan and describe to them what you want to do and what you may need to do it. No guarantees that they will help you but those Catholic universities and parochial teaching hospitals(all hospitals in NYC are teaching hospitals) might have some type of relationship they could arrange. Write a prospectus, maybe a 6 month rotation for 2nd year residents in Developing Country Medical Triage, or Rural/Emergency/Rudimentary Medical Treatment.

If they do get you a line on those dummies you can give up on the disposable mouth pieces, you will most likely be disinfected and autoclaving those things until they lose all their usefulness.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
There is a foundation in Canada that provides medical equipment and supplies to poor countries/areas. I think it is is Quebec, but cannot remember exactly.

If you can wait until I return to Puerto Plata, I have the information saved in my office there. I was researching sources of medical assistance for a small medical organizaci?n sin fines de lucro in Puerto Plata and encountered information on the Canadian group.

jester420

Jun 21, 2007
Dummies Donation

Hillbilly,
I have a call into my older brother. He is the Treasurer of the FDNY EMT Union local 2705. He is checking to see if he can get the FDNY to donate the dummies to you. Do you have someone or a company that can donate the shipping from NYC? I will contact you as soon as I hear from him. Ask your student if he was an FDNY EMT in the Bronx, he may know my brother and others in the Union that can help with this.

Jester420

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Jester: There is no finer group of men and women than the NYFD!! Yes, I have someone who can bring them here...

If they can do this, I can certainly get transportation..piece of cake, I think!!

Many, many thanks.

HB

Reactions: Bronxboy

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Hillbilly,
I have a call into my older brother. He is the Treasurer of the FDNY EMT Union local 2705. He is checking to see if he can get the FDNY to donate the dummies to you. Do you have someone or a company that can donate the shipping from NYC? I will contact you as soon as I hear from him. Ask your student if he was an FDNY EMT in the Bronx, he may know my brother and others in the Union that can help with this.

Jester420

Jester, my cousin was a FDNY EMT in the Bronx for a few years, now he's FDNY fireman in the Bronx, Engine 81, Kingsbridge. If your brother needs someone to pick up the dummies, and HB doesn't have anyone in NY who can do it, let me know. I'm sure he would help.

AE

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Guys, this is great. Please let me know how it turns out. Some how I will get them to a freight forwarder.

HB

Reactions: MikeFisher