Looking for Jewish Dominicans

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
This fellow might be the Rabbi for that synagogue, doubt there are two. Presume he's looking for Dominican Jews from elsewhere in DR or who have migrated around the world.

I probably should have posted it in Dominicans Abroad :ermm:

AE

At present there are 3 Jewish religious centres in Santo Domingo.
The oldest established is the Centro Israelita de la Republica Dominicana, headquartered just east of the junction with Churchill at Avenida Sarasota #21, La Julia, Santo Domingo, PO Box 2189, Tel 809 535 6042. (Secretary, Isaac Lalo) This also includes the synagogue in Sosua. This is a traditional/orthodox Euro-American Jewish type community.

Two or three years ago, the Sephardim (Jews of Iberian and Oriental origin) set up a new community "Nidhe Israel" just across the river in the eastern part of the city at Calle Presidente Vasquez #12, Esquina Calle 23,
Molinuevo, Santo Domingo Este
(Beit Midrash Nidhe Israel) This community is dedicated to the revival of the Ibero-Oriental stream of Judaism in the Dominican Republic.

About the same time, the Chabad/Lubavitch outreach organisation set up a community (Chabad-Lubavitch of Dominican Republic) headquartered at Beit Chabad, Calle El Recodo Suite 8/5A, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic Tel. 809-533-8770, directed by Rabbi Shimon Pelman.

All three organisations draw their congregants from the veteran Jewish population of Santo Domingo as well as Jewish newcomers, Israeli expats, tourists and vistors from all over the world as well as regular participants from the Judeo/Christian community which includes the Messianic community, formerly Beit El Jai of Naco.

Bryan

May 29, 2006
I've seen Dominicans in Sosua wearing yamakas. Two ran jewelry shops and also some in the bakery across from Playero there. My guess is they are descended from the refugee settlers.

Mar 1, 2009
I know or rather met two Jew-minicans in Miami Beach. They are from Sosua, the last name was Rausberger or something. We chatted for a bit, they we're very nice. The hotel I work in is a major draw for jews worldwide, so it was only a matter of time before Jews from my country showed up.
What about the Cohen Family in DR? Was the Trujillo minister Arturo Logrono Cohen a practicing jew?
How about another one of his flunkies by the last name of Mayer? Or the Selman's?
Those sound pretty jewish to me? My curiousity is piqued!

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
I met a jewish fellow in Alaska the other day, he told me he is friends with a girl from Sosua of jewish descent living in Alaska.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Many jews have gotten married to dominicans, as a result, their kids have lost touch with the religion. Almost all the dominican goldbergs,cohens, etc that I have met either do not call themselves jews or have converted into catholic Christians. They do acknowledge their jewish past but they have lost touch with the religion as time have passed from one generation to another.
I have had the pleasure to meet Mr. Koch from sosua who was one of the first jewish settlers to have settled in sosua (from Austria). He told me all about how they were all dropped in sosua which was something like a swamp land. They had to live in tents at first but ,then all of the settlers collectively built sosua with their own hands.
Many have left after the war, many went to usa. The ones who have settled here, got married to the locals. Their kids are 100% domincians but sadly, most are simply left with their jewish names. I hope he is still alive and living in sosua. He was the living chapter on the jewish history in this island.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Many jews have gotten married to dominicans, as a result, their kids have lost touch with the religion. Almost all the dominican goldbergs,cohens, etc that I have met either do not call themselves jews or have converted into catholic Christians. They do acknowledge their jewish past but they have lost touch with the religion as time have passed from one generation to another.
I have had the pleasure to meet Mr. Koch from sosua who was one of the first jewish settlers to have settled in sosua (from Austria). He told me all about how they were all dropped in sosua which was something like a swamp land. They had to live in tents at first but ,then all of the settlers collectively built sosua with their own hands.
Many have left after the war, many went to usa. The ones who have settled here, got married to the locals. Their kids are 100% domincians but sadly, most are simply left with their jewish names. I hope he is still alive and living in sosua. He was the living chapter on the jewish history in this island.

I admire how they were able to survive in a strange land even with all the traumas.

I wonder how they were able to rich in deep to go forward with all the painful emotions knowing that their race was beeing exterminated. My hats goes out to them because dominicans and haitians can't even do the same in our own countries even though we don't have the traumas the jewish had to cope with. I also wonder what they did to deal with the psychological issues especially since I don't think they were provided any form of therapy by Trujillo.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Historians are ignorants.

Ulterior Motives:
Reasons for the Dominican offer at the Evian Conference vary, but most historians will agree that Trujillo made the offer not because he was a good hearted soul, but rather for ulterior motives. By some accounts Trujillo used the opportunity to import 100,000 Jews as a way to propagate his own racial cleansing. By bringing in large amounts of young single Jewish men, the idea was that they would marry Dominican women and ?lighten? the race, weeding out the ?African? blood found in a majority of the Dominican population.

The DR?s Jewish settlement was located in the northern part of the island in an almost completely uninhabited region called Sosua.

"RACIAL CLEANSING" This just shows how ignorant these historians are because if the purpose was to cleanse the black dominicans off their african blood he would not have placed the jews in un inhabitted and remote swampy land but instead he would've placed them smack in the middle of black dominicans.

These so called historians don't know jack and just like to assume things because he killed Haitians. The truth is that if Trujillo wanted to do some cleansing as these historians want to imply, it would've been much easier to kill the black dominicans too.

pgolivares

Apr 9, 2010
my wife is a nurse here in NYC and she told me she used to work with a Jewish doctor who's parent came from Sosua. so there are Jew-minicans out there.