Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    DR1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    20,378
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Looking for Jewish Dominicans

    I came across this posting on a Dominican genealogy group today, it is from a Rabbi in Santo Domingo looking for Jewish Dominicans to interview for a study:

    Re: Buscando Judios Dominicanos - General - Family History & Genealogy Message Board - rootsweb.com

    AE

  2. #2
    DR1
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    0
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Santo Domingo has a synagogue.

    Jews in the Dominican Republic

  3. #3
    DR1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    20,378
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Santo Domingo has a synagogue.

    Jews in the Dominican Republic
    This fellow might be the Rabbi for that synagogue, doubt there are two. Presume he's looking for Dominican Jews from elsewhere in DR or who have migrated around the world.

    I probably should have posted it in Dominicans Abroad

    AE

  4. #4
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    616
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    This fellow might be the Rabbi for that synagogue, doubt there are two. Presume he's looking for Dominican Jews from elsewhere in DR or who have migrated around the world.

    I probably should have posted it in Dominicans Abroad

    AE
    At present there are 3 Jewish religious centres in Santo Domingo.
    The oldest established is the Centro Israelita de la Republica Dominicana, headquartered just east of the junction with Churchill at Avenida Sarasota #21, La Julia, Santo Domingo, PO Box 2189, Tel 809 535 6042. (Secretary, Isaac Lalo) This also includes the synagogue in Sosua. This is a traditional/orthodox Euro-American Jewish type community.

    Two or three years ago, the Sephardim (Jews of Iberian and Oriental origin) set up a new community "Nidhe Israel" just across the river in the eastern part of the city at Calle Presidente Vasquez #12, Esquina Calle 23,
    Molinuevo, Santo Domingo Este
    (Beit Midrash Nidhe Israel) This community is dedicated to the revival of the Ibero-Oriental stream of Judaism in the Dominican Republic.

    About the same time, the Chabad/Lubavitch outreach organisation set up a community (Chabad-Lubavitch of Dominican Republic) headquartered at Beit Chabad, Calle El Recodo Suite 8/5A, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic Tel. 809-533-8770, directed by Rabbi Shimon Pelman.

    All three organisations draw their congregants from the veteran Jewish population of Santo Domingo as well as Jewish newcomers, Israeli expats, tourists and vistors from all over the world as well as regular participants from the Judeo/Christian community which includes the Messianic community, formerly Beit El Jai of Naco.

    Bryan








    .

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Original DNA Study

    The DNA study found is actually a copy of one started last year. The original can be found here: https://www.familytreedna.com/group-...phardic-DomRep

  6. #6
    Gold
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    9,821
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I've seen Dominicans in Sosua wearing yamakas. Two ran jewelry shops and also some in the bakery across from Playero there. My guess is they are descended from the refugee settlers.

  7. #7
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    935
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I know or rather met two Jew-minicans in Miami Beach. They are from Sosua, the last name was Rausberger or something. We chatted for a bit, they we're very nice. The hotel I work in is a major draw for jews worldwide, so it was only a matter of time before Jews from my country showed up.
    What about the Cohen Family in DR? Was the Trujillo minister Arturo Logrono Cohen a practicing jew?
    How about another one of his flunkies by the last name of Mayer? Or the Selman's?
    Those sound pretty jewish to me? My curiousity is piqued!

  8. #8
    Silver
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    2,305
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I met a jewish fellow in Alaska the other day, he told me he is friends with a girl from Sosua of jewish descent living in Alaska.

  9. #9
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    11,780
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Many jews have gotten married to dominicans, as a result, their kids have lost touch with the religion. Almost all the dominican goldbergs,cohens, etc that I have met either do not call themselves jews or have converted into catholic Christians. They do acknowledge their jewish past but they have lost touch with the religion as time have passed from one generation to another.
    I have had the pleasure to meet Mr. Koch from sosua who was one of the first jewish settlers to have settled in sosua (from Austria). He told me all about how they were all dropped in sosua which was something like a swamp land. They had to live in tents at first but ,then all of the settlers collectively built sosua with their own hands.
    Many have left after the war, many went to usa. The ones who have settled here, got married to the locals. Their kids are 100% domincians but sadly, most are simply left with their jewish names. I hope he is still alive and living in sosua. He was the living chapter on the jewish history in this island.

  10. #10
    Silver
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    2,305
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AZB View Post
    Many jews have gotten married to dominicans, as a result, their kids have lost touch with the religion. Almost all the dominican goldbergs,cohens, etc that I have met either do not call themselves jews or have converted into catholic Christians. They do acknowledge their jewish past but they have lost touch with the religion as time have passed from one generation to another.
    I have had the pleasure to meet Mr. Koch from sosua who was one of the first jewish settlers to have settled in sosua (from Austria). He told me all about how they were all dropped in sosua which was something like a swamp land. They had to live in tents at first but ,then all of the settlers collectively built sosua with their own hands.
    Many have left after the war, many went to usa. The ones who have settled here, got married to the locals. Their kids are 100% domincians but sadly, most are simply left with their jewish names. I hope he is still alive and living in sosua. He was the living chapter on the jewish history in this island.
    I admire how they were able to survive in a strange land even with all the traumas.

    I wonder how they were able to rich in deep to go forward with all the painful emotions knowing that their race was beeing exterminated. My hats goes out to them because dominicans and haitians can't even do the same in our own countries even though we don't have the traumas the jewish had to cope with. I also wonder what they did to deal with the psychological issues especially since I don't think they were provided any form of therapy by Trujillo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •