Preparing for storms

May 29, 2006
Does anyone have any tips on what you might want to have on hand in the DR before a big storm hits? Let's assume that any generator you have might be not working when it happens and the water also gets shut off. What would you want to have in your car in case you get stranded by a wash-out or trees blocking the road? Has anyone been isolated wishing they had had some crucial items?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Above all water. Then food, flashlight, first-aid kit, whistle, mirror. (Medicine if you are on a regimine)...

Since we have a week or two to get ready for storms, those of us that can read these boards have no excuse not to be prepared. And well prepared.

HB

May 29, 2006
I find lights are a big priority. We had a 24 hour blackout in MD while I was visiting and we had one flashlight for the whole house and not enough batteries to keep it going. One flashlight per person is a good minimum and some tea candles. Don't use tapered candles due to fire risk. I'd bet half the house fires in the DR start with candles.

Unless your home has a cistern or swimming pool, you may want to have 10 or so gallons of tap water stored for washing and toilet-flushing. Water heaters can make a good storage unit for 10-40 gallons, but you may need a hose to drain the tank. You may need to turn on a hot water tap to drain the tank.

We were also lucky that I had just bought a Moka type coffee maker. The other one was electric and would have been hard to use...

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A lot of people laughted at a Doctor friend of mine when he filled his pool before David his. Of course, then they were begging for water a couple of days later.
Lighting of course makes life easier. At least you can play dominoes and checkers or cards by candlelight....
Learn by the Chilean miners, they have very little over some two+ weeks but survived....

Of course, with Mike and others watching the boards and the satellite photos, we are very well advised...Much more important for those on the South and East than the North....preparedness is the word...

HB

May 29, 2006
I'd also crank the fridge up the day before and stock up on my ice supply. It's nice to have cold beer, after all. A set of Domininos is a good idea too if you are used to being a couch potato in front of the TV.

The Chile miners are some real troopers. Interesting they are bringing in NASA as consultants.

Surprized I never saw any propane Coleman lanterns in the DR. VERY bright and the can run off of a propane tank. We had some pressurized kerosene ones with finger pumps when I was a kid for camping.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Collecting water from the roof in barrels from the rain works too.... we get enough rain to flush a few toilets.... wash a few dishes...:chinese:

Usually, the wind comes with rain:squareeye...... and its FREE:bunny:

I find I don't have enough barrels to catch it all.

WW

Caz

May 15, 2004
Assuming that you have a generator - then it is the 3 D's!!
Diesel, dog food and drinking water!

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
some Items are of course more needed at specific locations than at other locations to have on stock.
I live in the little Town of Cabeza de Toro on the East/Punta Cana,
so on a Storm's approach we catch Rain Water to be used for dishwashing and showering, b'c our watersupply depends on a automatic waterpump for the pressure, no electricity means here no water.
water for the Toilets we have plenty for Free right in front of the Door, the Salty Ocean.
you need Lightning to not breake your neck when walking to the bathroom in the middle of a starless cloudy night, even more important if you have small children, it calms them down a lot and leave's them in a much better Mood when lights in all rooms and to play some evening games are available.
we use for that Oillamps, cheap, simple and they even work outside even in heavy wind, sure we have Batterylighters in the House, they are anyways placed around the Beds in all sleeping rooms, in case for what ever reason the lights would go out all around the Year, don't forget to have spare batteries for your lights available.
to store batteries over longer time periods without loosing their powers, pack then in a dry bag, perfect are Ziplock Bags, and store them in the Fridge.
if you use Oillamps like We do, don't forget to have a few small Bottles for refueling in the house, keep that stuff always out of the reach of your children.
store on Food that would not damage too quick after the Fridge has no more electricity. after the elec goes away, do not open your fridge too often, only when really needed, and then take out right away all Items you may need the next hour, the cool temp in the closed fridge will keep your food cold much longer that way.
very important is Drinking water, I would Store one 5 Gallons Bottle per Person in the household, counting Only for Drinking, much more in case you want to use that water also for washing etc.
make sure that your Propane Tank is filled up, cooking on Propane is anyways usual here on the Island, who usually cooks on electric stoves should have a small 1 or 2 flames camping stove in the house and a small bottle of Propane which is enough for some days of cooking without electricity.
smokers like myself sure want to have a spare box of their favorite killers in the house.
in case of drinks, I love Presidente Beers myself, but very unsuitable to stock and keep on the right Temp in case the electricity goes down for several days, here Wine is the much better solution, because a good wine needs no cooling.

If a Storm, doesn't matter how strong or Weak it is, Hits right at your Area,
the first and simple Rule is Do Never Ever Under NO Circumstances Leave Your House!!!
wait til all the wind is over for sure,
unless there is an emergency like a needed hospital visit, do NOT drive on the streets, such traffick in the first place simply hinders the rescuers to travel on Duty, they do not need spectators out there, and 2ndly many areas are dangerous to drive due electricity poles and Trees who may still stand but are due to fall down any moment even after the rough winds stopped.
always check on your Neighbours after the wind stopped, specially when you have elderly People living next Door.
don't get upset on your stupid neighbours who did not prepare anything and did not store enough Food or drinking water, simply share what ever you can.

in case we ever get a straight Hit of a real Big Boy, stay in the safest Room of your House during the Hours of the hardest Blow, in my case that is the Bathroom, no windows, so no breaking Glass, in case of a Mayor Hurricane hitting my place Me and the Mrs really would bring a lil table into that Bathroom and make ourselfes with some drinks and snacks comfo in the Shower area, lol.
Mike