Pool construction

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Hello...

I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what it might cost for the construction of a pool on the North coast? Nothing too fancy, in-ground, roughly 12' x 20' feet in size, no more than about 6' at deepest point, rectangular.

...Or if any past or present pool owners can give me an idea of what you paid, even for a pool of a different type and size? Thanks very much!

Aug 21, 2007
Hello...

I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what it might cost for the construction of a pool on the North coast? Nothing too fancy, in-ground, roughly 12' x 20' feet in size, no more than about 6' at deepest point, rectangular.

...Or if any past or present pool owners can give me an idea of what you paid, even for a pool of a different type and size? Thanks very much!

Didn't construct my pool, but recently had to almost rebuild it as a result of Earth shifting and pipes coming apart when the Earthquake occurred.

I know costs are not comparable...but I would highly recommend Pro Source Caribe on the North Coast. They did my work and I will say that they have been one business with whom I have dealt over the years that makes certain they give more to the customer than what is expected. They take pride in what they do.

On the day my pool was finished, the manager showed up at the end of the day not dressed professionally. I wondered what was going on. He said that he hoped I didn't mind.....and he jumped in my pool! He later explained that he takes pride in each job and wants only as a reward, to be the first to swim!

Good luck to you on your pool construction. Hope you are as happy with the results as I have been.

Lindsey

May 24, 2009
www.swellsurfcamp.com
Hello...

In 2004, we built a pool measuring 9' by 25' (lap type infinity pool) - 1.4m deep with a shallow end/seating area of 2'. This cost $24,000 USD.

In 2009, we built a pool measuring approx 11' x 15' x 1.4m depth for around $20,000 USD, including a palm tree set in the center.

Both of these prices included pump, pipework, lighting, etc.

To the 2nd pool, we then added fiber optic, color changing lighting which bumped up the cost considerably, but in our view was worth the extra for sheer spectacle.

Patron

Mar 17, 2010
see my advert in in business section for Paradise Pools

Last edited by a moderator:

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Some thought to ponder before you burry some money

Pools, pools, pools!
I used to build pools... "standard" 4x8m and fantasy pools up to 17m long, with jacuzzi and fountain play. Many times I worked on them directly.

I have found that the ONLY way to build a "serious", lasting concrete pool, was to use the Shotcrete/Gunite method (check the links). Plumbing should NEVER be routed in the walls, but only go straight thru. Wiring for lamps using and upside siphon system.
Some soil will allow for the Gunite-concrete to be shot right at it, other -most- ground however, require a block retainer wall to be built first. That wall has no structural bearing at all.

Locals however, tend to build most pools using concrete blocks which are merely filled with concrete and rebar. Often, I don't even see an occasional poured concrete girt applied. This is, especially in a region with a history of seismic movement, an ill fated approach. The result is a poorly build pool, which WILL crackle here and there, the tiles or paint will lift and need attention every now and then - at BEST! Should never cost anywhere near to the prices suggested above (you can have a small house build for that price!). A properly gunited (20cm solid armored concrete walls) pool may cost you even less, for the sizes quoted.

I would like to see more fiber glass pools around here... yes, the typical ones are kind'a redneckish... but there are companies which now make high grade finished pools. Set in a good bed of sand, they may have better chances during and after earthquakes.

Liner pools... well, there's another subject many will have divided opinions about! Let me just say this: I think that if you are a handy man, liner pools using a synthetic or metal wall system, can be a great option to build your own pool virtually yourself (except for the digger!). You can get the kits on-line in the US.
6 to 10 years later, yes, you may have to replace the liner (if you could build the pool, you can do that - easy!), but keep in mind, that if you have a concrete pool, you WILL have to repaint, re-seal and often even partially re-tile after 8 to 12 years too. AND, a liner pool is the most likely one to take the abuse from seismic activity without damage.

... J-D.

Reactions: AlterEgo

heliace

On Vacation!
Mar 27, 2004
In Santiago, I ws recently quoted 150,000 pesos for a pool the same size as you mention.Pump and filter included.I shied away because the builders' reputation was mediocre at best. I am still searching for a decent maestro.

May 8, 2009
Pools, pools, pools!
I used to build pools... "standard" 4x8m and fantasy pools up to 17m long, with jacuzzi and fountain play. Many times I worked on them directly.

I have found that the ONLY way to build a "serious", lasting concrete pool, was to use the Shotcrete/Gunite method (check the links). Plumbing should NEVER be routed in the walls, but only go straight thru. Wiring for lamps using and upside siphon system.
Some soil will allow for the Gunite-concrete to be shot right at it, other -most- ground however, require a block retainer wall to be built first. That wall has no structural bearing at all.

Locals however, tend to build most pools using concrete blocks which are merely filled with concrete and rebar. Often, I don't even see an occasional poured concrete girt applied. This is, especially in a region with a history of seismic movement, an ill fated approach. The result is a poorly build pool, which WILL crackle here and there, the tiles or paint will lift and need attention every now and then - at BEST! Should never cost anywhere near to the prices suggested above (you can have a small house build for that price!). A properly gunited (20cm solid armored concrete walls) pool may cost you even less, for the sizes quoted.

I would like to see more fiber glass pools around here... yes, the typical ones are kind'a redneckish... but there are companies which now make high grade finished pools. Set in a good bed of sand, they may have better chances during and after earthquakes.

Liner pools... well, there's another subject many will have divided opinions about! Let me just say this: I think that if you are a handy man, liner pools using a synthetic or metal wall system, can be a great option to build your own pool virtually yourself (except for the digger!). You can get the kits on-line in the US.
6 to 10 years later, yes, you may have to replace the liner (if you could build the pool, you can do that - easy!), but keep in mind, that if you have a concrete pool, you WILL have to repaint, re-seal and often even partially re-tile after 8 to 12 years too. AND, a liner pool is the most likely one to take the abuse from seismic activity without damage.

... J-D.

J D,

Have you found any crew whatsoever with a shotcrete or gunite rig in the country? I have had no such luck, much less a crew that uses pool trowels and spiked shoes to properly finish the plaster.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
J D,

Have you found any crew whatsoever with a shotcrete or gunite rig in the country? I have had no such luck, much less a crew that uses pool trowels and spiked shoes to properly finish the plaster.

If I remember right, there are some companies in Santo Domingo.
I also asked the local cement and concrete company (in between Puerto Plata and Sosua) and they seemed to know of the process (and to remember having supplied dry mix).
I haven't used it, so I wouldn't be able to recommend or refer you to anybody in specific.

I don't build here, and I'm GLAD I don't! :D

... J-D.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Thank you all very much for the information. It certainly gives me a good idea of costs and different construction options.

swellsurfcampcabarete - Those costs sound a bit more expensive than I was expecting, but I suppose it very much depends on the style, size, type of the pool. I am hoping to stay under $15 000, but I will have to look around for the best options.

Thanks again!

dominicanrep

Apr 20, 2007
In 2004, we built a pool measuring 9' by 25' (lap type infinity pool) - 1.4m deep with a shallow end/seating area of 2'. This cost $24,000 USD.

In 2009, we built a pool measuring approx 11' x 15' x 1.4m depth for around $20,000 USD, including a palm tree set in the center.

Both of these prices included pump, pipework, lighting, etc.

To the 2nd pool, we then added fiber optic, color changing lighting which bumped up the cost considerably, but in our view was worth the extra for sheer spectacle.

Hi swellsurfcampcabarete,

do you mean 11' x 25' (instead of 11' x 15')?

Can you tell me how much is this in meters? Thanks.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
This is an old thread and maybe we can update it.

I am planning to build a medium size below ground near Bonao. I would like a custom designed free-form pool with some nice features, including a water feature. I am hoping someone can recommend someone for a turnkey job or a designer that can supervise the work. Thanks

Their is a company called Paradise Pools in Sosua that has been doing recent marketing. However, I have sent them a couple of emails over the last month and have not heard back. I used to be in the deck building business and it makes no sense to pay for leads and not follow-up on them. So, if anyone knows those guys, ask them to check their email for me.

Thanks in advance.