Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Best Grilled Lobster Fried Rice In the DR

I out did myself this week with a combination that works.

I make a Fresh Green Bean Salad with Red Peppers and Onions combined with an Asian Sesame and Ginger Vinagrette from Whishbone Sald dressing

I go to Charamicos and buy the Chinese lunch and save the rice and veggies as they give you enough food to feed very many people.

With the left over lobster and salad I made a fried rice dish and Wow that was as good as catching a Grouper!

We need new recipes in Sosua!

But people like frozen french fries.......

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of French Fries, one of these days someone is going to start selling Poutine. I've never had it, but Canadians get all misty-eyed talking about it. Someone selling that for 100 and 200 pesos late at night could make some serious money.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterInBrat View Post
    Speaking of French Fries, one of these days someone is going to start selling Poutine. I've never had it, but Canadians get all misty-eyed talking about it. Someone selling that for 100 and 200 pesos late at night could make some serious money.
    Hey great idea, set up a Poutine stand across the street from Pedro McMurray's, where that chicken kabob guy was!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

They have hooch in D.R. - I do not know what it is called - Clarin, the Haitians call it.

I know this because one night a friend bought some to put in a paraffin lamp when all the shops were closed.
    It worked OK once it was going but had a strange green light - which I took to mean that you should never drink it!

Nothing that burns green can be good for you!

But it was Dominican moonshine all the same.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterInBrat View Post
    Hi everyone,5 or 6 years ago,there was a Canadian woman selling poutine on Sosua beach.I never went to her place so I dont know exacly where it was.She would comment that Canadian tourists would see her sign and the husband would say (look,they have poutine ) and the wife would say (we have that home,let's find something else).
    So,before you invest any money on a poutine stand,do some research. I think that Canadians wont eat it while on vacation and anyone else wont taste it because of what it looks like.

Mike

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default love it

poutine is a very quick, easy to make, great tastin meal....there is a cafe on the main blvd that makes it and i heard there was a place on the beach...

every friend i've shown poutine to has developed a liking for it...

a cart out on the blvd at night would start off slow...
    but give it time and word of mouth would spread

one taste is all you need

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default how to make it

hot french fries
    grate mozzarella cheese on topp of the fries
    pour hot gravy over it....the heat will melt it all together

lol...now i got to go get some

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Hang on a minute - what is this poutine of which you speak?

Are we talking the illegal alcohol or cheese with fries and gravy - I am lost....

I thought you meant Poitheen///

oops never mind....

The poutine looks excellent though - chips and gravy with cheese. mmmmm....

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

OK - well there you go.

And I was scared that I was not going to learn anything today!!!

Phew!!

Thanks...

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I think more than anything else it needs a name change. "Poutine" does not conjure up fries with gravy and melted cheese to someone who has not heard of it. To an American, anything French-sounding is definitely expensive and even worse, possibly healthy. A big seller in US chains is what is called "Loaded Fries," which is fries with nacho cheese sauce, minced bacon, scallions, and topped off with some sour cream.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast