postage from USA to Dominican, but im in the UK!! help!

boniouk

Aug 17, 2010
Hi There, I bought a dell laptop for my friend in the dominican, and i had it shipped to her family in OHIO, the states, because dell didnt ship that particular model to DR. Now, im trying to find a company that will ship from USA to Dominican Republic, but that will let me pay from the UK on my car.. imposssssible!!! fedex, ups, usps, dhl, none of them do it, they all say i need to have an account and then need to give all my credit card details to the people in the usa for them to put on forms when its picked up.

My question,

Is there a company that can do this?

Or, if not, is there an easy way for me to get my money $150ish, to my friend in DR so that they can pay from their end, as me being in the uk wanting to pay seems to cause lots of problems.

Thanks guys

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
You could always use Western Union and pay with your UK credit card sending the money to either your friend in the US or the one in the RD. If you have a PayPal account you could pay Fedex or whomever through them.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Shipping Where?

my friend in the dominican, and
:tired: :tired: :tired:

Find somebody reliable with an eps, mbe, or cps account and have the laptop sent to their forwarding address in Miami (Doral).
She could then pick it up at the person's address in the Dominican Republic.
Payment could be done via PayPal (small fees) or into the helper's bank account (free in Europe).

donP

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
First off: Where does your girlfriend live?
Why?
Because if it is one of the cities where Business Mail, or any of the other freight/mail forwarders have offices, then that simplifies things.
Why?
Because then the people in OHIO can ship the Dell to Florida, and the company in Florida will ship it here.
All you have to do is decide which one to go with. EPS, CPS, Business Mail and maybe three more all operate out of the Miami area.
1-Tell the GF to open an account at one of these places. Cost a few hundred pesos.
2-Have the GF tell you the exact name and number of her account and send it to the people in Ohio.
3-Tell the family in Ohio to ship it to the address they are given; it is always a name and a number at a street address in South Florida.
For example (this is important_): Ms Sankyette (POP 54321), 122 NW 112 Ave, Doral,
Florida 33178. That number after the name identifies the account holder and insures it gets to her. Without the number it just sits in the office until hell freezes over. Are you clear>???
3-Send your GF the money she will need to pay for the shipping and customs at the office of the forwarding company.

MAKE SURE that the declared value of the laptop is not more than 189 dollars....

HB

Last edited:

boniouk

Aug 17, 2010
She lives in san francisco de macoris.

Why not declare its more than 189?

I tried it today with home shipping who use fedex, its $150 for door to door which isnt too bad. Fedex wouldnt let me pay them through paypal i tried. they were just awkward. But we'll see if home shipping pick it up tomorrow morning... they didnt send me a confirmation email and it hasnt been requested from my card but that cud just be because its a sunday and they dont have anyone in.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
you have to pay tax if its over 200 dollars....is it the online form that wont work...it often doesnt allow for people not being in america, but a phone call usually sorts things like this out

boniouk

Aug 17, 2010
I told you how to do it.
Whatever.

HB

Appreciate the advice but i really dont want to have to get her to open accounts, go anywhere to pay customs etc etc etc.

I just want a company to pick it up, and then deliver it to her door. door to door service. not bothered on cost or taxes. just want it doing and for them to let me pay as a third party.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Sounds a bit backwards buying a laptop in the UK, sending it to the US and then sending it to the DR from the US. Might it not have been slightly easier and cheaper to send her the money and allow her to buy one for herself here, or is there a trust issue sending money and you want those emails?:cheeky:
Sounds like you didn't think this through very well and are making a bit of an arse of things,:bunny::bunny: Sorry!!:bunny: