Wicking/cooling uv sporting shirts

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Does anyone have any experience with them- any recommended brands?

I would like something that keeps me cooler and drier ..Im not expecting miracles

I am fed up carrying 7 pounds of sweat round a tennis court in my shirt.No ! going topless isnt an option.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I wear them often. Mine are Ocean Pacific, New Balance and ripcurl brands these days. I wouldn't buy them here though as the material is very speiclaized and so copies are just pointless. Wonderful on the beach, cycling and they even get worn to the supermarket on a day like today. Worth the money IMO, even if you aren't playing squash or tennis.
I can tell you which brands to avoid, North Face, Berghaus, Nike and adidas. These are brands i've had and are no competition for my New balance, ripcurl and Ocean Pacific. You could be lucky and pick something genuine in Cabarete, but you will pay. other than that I'd buy online, and buy a bigger size.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
JR,
I bought one of these while in the U.S. last week. It's billed as a fishing shirt and has a vent on the back with mesh underneath. I've gotten several compliments on the shirt itself.

Playing golf last week it did it's job reasonably well. I was definitely drier than usual after finishing the round. Columbia Sportswear | Perfect Cast? Polo

I may buy a couple more.

FEATURES:
100% polyester two-toned pique
Omni-Dry? advanced evaporation
Omni-Shade? sun protection; UPF 30
Radial sleeve
Vented

68f1jn.jpg

16mdub.jpg

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
if you want something a little more dressy - the proffessional dance wearshops having wicking shirts, but Im reluctant to try a black dress shirt with ruffles on the tennis court

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
if you want something a little more dressy - the proffessional dance wearshops having wicking shirts, but Im reluctant to try a black dress shirt with ruffles on the tennis court

Yes, white would be more appropriate on the tennis courts.

Doing a quick search on 'wicking dance shirts' I find women complaining that it keeps the man dry but transfer the moisture to their dance partner.

There's one guy my friends and I refer to as the 'Soggy Sosua salsa sanky' (or just 'Soggy' for short). Perhaps he's wearing one of these shirts.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Im looking for people that have tried and wear them.....and how well they work....ive googled enough already lol

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Im looking for people that have tried and wear them.....and how well they work....ive googled enough already lol

I wear the fishing shirts by Columbia (not the golf shirt version) - long sleeves that roll up like a safari shirt, UV 30 protection, big vent across the back.
Comes in long and short sleeve

Works well, never wrinkles..... I've never danced in it so don't know about "Soggy"..... dries in a second.

The cargo shorts are perfect... loose, cool (temperature cool!) and dry in a second.
Very handy if caught in the rain

WW
Fashionisto

May 29, 2006
I've worn Under Armour and it's a very good brand. It wicks well and it retains its shape after many washings. I normally don't wear anything but cotton but this is actually cooler because it wicks dry.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Can you give the links where you buy those shirts online please Anastacio? thx

Sorry, you'd have to search that yourself, I buy mine while out of the country, I've given up buying clothes here or trying to get them sent here at a reasonable rate. Luckily I don't have to do so that often as they last years.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005

They are available in white:
men%27s%20puffy%20shirt%5B2%5D.jpg

May 29, 2006
I wouldn't buy Columbia myself, but it has nothing to do with what quality or style it has. It's more that it is sold EVERYWHERE. You get the Columbia shirt, the Dockers khaki pants or shorts and a pair of deck shoes and you may as well have shopped out of JC Penny's catalog.

One catalog I like is Cabelas, which has pretty much taken over the market that LL Bean had before it started selling pastel golf shirts and beach attire. The prices are 30-40% cheaper and the quality is as good if not better. The only downside is they will send you a new catalog about every two weeks. They are geared to hunters, but they have a good selection of men's casuals as well.

Cabela's Official Website - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear at competitive prices.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I wouldn't buy Columbia myself, but it has nothing to do with what quality or style it has. It's more that it is sold EVERYWHERE. You get the Columbia shirt, the Dockers khaki pants or shorts and a pair of deck shoes and you may as well have shopped out of JC Penny's catalog.

One catalog I like is Cabelas, which has pretty much taken over the market that LL Bean had before it started selling pastel golf shirts and beach attire. The prices are 30-40% cheaper and the quality is as good if not better. The only downside is they will send you a new catalog about every two weeks. They are geared to hunters, but they have a good selection of men's casuals as well.

Cabela's Official Website - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear at competitive prices.

Correct.... the Cabela shirt - or any of the other outdoor retailers Dick's, etc, all have house brands that are comparable .
Just aim for the cheapest alternative

WW

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Im sweating at some of the prices.......thats why I wanted some feed back. It would be bad to buy a shirt for 60 dollars that didnt do what it purports to do (is that the right word)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Purport

"to profess: be intended to seem; convey; state"

From the Concise Oxford Dictionary

For those interested, the history of "The Oxford" can be read in "The Madman and the Professor"

One of the authors/researchers was in jail for life.... the other a learned academic.

WW

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
It's what I wear day-to-day. The Tamiami II by Columbia are particularly awesome.

LL Bean has an outstanding line as does Cabelas, I have them both..

Being from Florida folks wear them all the time.

What you are looking for are "fishing shirts."

Russell Southern has excellent cool/wicking T-Shirts also, look good and sweat dries quickly actually adding to the cooling.

Under Armour has excellent wicking "high performance" golf shirts, dry and cool.

I hate to say it but basic cotton clothing, especially shirts, tend to be warm. Of course cheap polyester makes you pretty stinky especially if your personal hygeine isn't the best.