Cabarete Beaches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwhite82

Aug 29, 2010
I am looking at booking a private villa near Cabarete for a family vacation over New Years. There will be 3 couples, two of which have small childeren, so nightlife is not important.

My main concern is the quality of the beaches in the Cabarete area. My wife has heard that since it is on the Atlantic side the beaches do not have the Caribbean feel (i.e. the water isn't as clear and has rougher surf).

I really like the villa we have found as it has both a pool and is beachside, but I want to make sure we will not be disappointed in the quality of the beach.

Any comments?

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
I am a beginner to Cabarete, but what I've learned so far after two trips is that the beaches to the west of the downtown are good but you will share them with kitesurfers after about noon or 1pm. I thought the water was very clear. The waves were moderate so you can bob up and down without a lot of rocks to worry about and there was no undertow. I have no experience with the beaches east of downtown, but I think some areas are suitable for swiming and some are not, from my discussions with some people that live in the Cabarete area. Overall, the beaches are fine as far as I am concerned. Some areas that are not developed or occupied are not cleaned up as well as others... Beaches belong to the public, so you can take long walks along the beaches.

The water was clear when I was there this summer. I have been in Aruba during hurricane season and the water was cloudy with sea weeds washing up then, so I imagine that the clarity of the water depends on the season a bit for all the islands.

Reactions: mike l

2thebeach

May 7, 2010
beaches

Sousa beach is much nicer for swimming especially with young children. They can walk out far and there isn't much surf.

Reactions: mike l

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
The beach tend to be rockier east of town. There are a few places like Cabarete East that have a nice beach. The beach in town is sandy and you can walk out 30 yards, more or less and be up to your chest. If there's a storm off the coast you'll have waves, but normally the waves are gentel. Much less then the east coast of the US. Sosua Bay is nice and worth seeing, but I allways seam to step on rocks there. There are a lot of great beaches on the North Coast, Cabarete and Sosua are two of them.

May 24, 2009
www.swellsurfcamp.com
The beach tend to be rockier east of town. There are a few places like Cabarete East that have a nice beach. The beach in town is sandy and you can walk out 30 yards, more or less and be up to your chest. If there's a storm off the coast you'll have waves, but normally the waves are gentel. Much less then the east coast of the US. Sosua Bay is nice and worth seeing, but I allways seam to step on rocks there. There are a lot of great beaches on the North Coast, Cabarete and Sosua are two of them.

Oriole is quite correct; the state of the sea is totally dependent on the swell that may or may not be hitting the island at the time of your visit. If there is a big larger swell, at high tide, there will be a shore break (which my children love) - if there's no swell running, the sea can be very flat and calm.

The swimming area in the main bay of Cabarete (especially upwind, or east of Vela) is the calmest for swimming, even when there's a swell. I am wondering though where your proposed villa is located? If you can let us know, we can be more help with regards to the conditions as there is quite a difference, even in a few hundred meters.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Nanny Estates, Bahia de Arena, or Cabarete Palm Beach Condos.....these will fit your needs, Nanny and Bahia are just west of Cabarete close to Kite Beach, and Palm Beach Condos are in central Cabarete

Status
Not open for further replies.