Yerba Mate

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
La Sirena, Bravo, they all have it. Usually on the bottom shelf in the coffee and tea section.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
This is the one that you will find here:

yerbamate.JPG

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I knows its good for you...but how does it taste lol

It says not to use boiling water if you want it to taste better

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Personally I like that taste but I find that when you start using Yerba Mate it’s better to start slowly, little by little as it will get your heart pumping!

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
I bought the gourds and all but my first cup was really bitter. I heated the water in the microwave and i think it was almost boiling. I will try again because I know its really good for you. I saw it in every grocery store in Bavaro.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
I have the Paraguayan version - admittedly it is a bit tart to begin with but then so was ale as a youngster and I learned to love that.

The one I have has a bit of mint in it.
I use iced water and the cup and spoon/straw device as in the picture.

The reason I go into this is that I do not like drinking water so I was drinking 4 liters of juice per day - that is a lot of calories and I have become as fat as a Big Blubbery Lardy Dough-Gringo. (Yeah, yeah, the beer does not help - but where else can I get my vitamins?)

Caffeine does not bother me either. I can drink a bunch of the meanest espresso and sleep quite happily.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I found this thread about yerba mate intriguing, I will admit my ignorance by saying that I had never heard of it but with help of google I now know a lot more so much so we decided to try it. Following your directions we went to Supermercado Lindo in LT and sure enough there it was on the bottom shelf of the tea and coffee section. How to make it, even my Dominican wife found the directions on the side of the packet confusing. My feeling is that it would be best and convenient to make it in a teapot, we not having any of those special south american pots and then pour it out like tea through a sieve at two small teaspoons for two persons. Any observations on this method would be much appreciated.

Jan 17, 2009
I found this thread about yerba mate intriguing, I will admit my ignorance by saying that I had never heard of it but with help of google I now know a lot more so much so we decided to try it. Following your directions we went to Supermercado Lindo in LT and sure enough there it was on the bottom shelf of the tea and coffee section. How to make it, even my Dominican wife found the directions on the side of the packet confusing. My feeling is that it would be best and convenient to make it in a teapot, we not having any of those special south american pots and then pour it out like tea through a sieve at two small teaspoons for two persons. Any observations on this method would be much appreciated.

You can make tea but it is not worth the trouble. They've been selling yerba mate tea bags for a long time in the US and I've seen it here, just don't remember where.

I'm from Uruguay and never heard anyone making mate in a tea pot. If you're planning to do this, I would follow the same process as if you were preparing it in a gourde: add some cold water first and let the yerba absorb the water before pouring hot water (this it to prevent the yerba mate from scalding).

I wonder if the yerba mate they sell in the DR is fresh. In my country, no one will have a mate with yerba that's been sitting on a shelf for long. The taste is terrible.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
I just add water but I have one of the devices pictured above.
I put some in my cup and keep adding water throughout the day - like the Paraguayans showed me.

I found the Cruz de Malta version in a supermarket.
Eeeeeuuu!
Still getting used to it.

The version I had was brought form Paraguay and has a very minty flavour.

So if anyone sees the KURUPI version - please let me know.
I only have a couple of weeks worth...

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
dont use boiling water it makes it even more horrible
this was the key for me. The first time I used boiling water.....blech!
Now I use cool to luke warm and it's good. Still needs a little getting used to but i like it.