Status
Not open for further replies.

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
ASSOCIATED PRESS
Updated Aug 28, 2010 7:40 PM ET
WASHINGTON (AP)

Tony La Russa doesn't understand the minor backlash that's been created by his participation in radio personality Glenn Beck's rally in Washington on Saturday, an event the St. Louis Cardinals manager said was more religious in tone than political.

Before Saturday night's Major League Baseball game against the Washington Nationals, La Russa said complaints had been made to the Cardinals' offices in St. Louis about his participation in what some viewed as an event with political overtones.

La Russa added that the Animal Rescue Foundation he operates in California had received questions about the manager's presence at the rally.

Speaking from notes scribbled on the back of a lineup card, La Russa introduced Cardinals first baseman Albert Pujols, who was given an award for his off-field charitable work at the rally.
Asked what he thought of the event, La Russa said: "It was beyond gratifying. I was inspired. There were a lot of things that inspired me. It was more religious, much more religious (than political). ... I'll raise money for those folks anytime. Albert got a legitimate award I was asked to introduce. I don't see the problem."

Nor does Pujols, who gladly uses his celebrity to help the less fortunate.

"God's given me some amazing talent, but I also think that it's my responsibility to give back to the community of St. Louis as well as to the Dominican Republic," Pujols said before Saturday's game at Nationals Park.

Pujols has established a foundation that helps people with Down syndrome and assist the poor in the Dominican Republic.

"I want to be able to give back," Pujols said.

Pujols also was confused as to why some observers thought he was participating in a political rally.

JUNIOR LEAGUE
There's nothing like tossing the ball around with your father. Check out these MLB dads with their kids."I know a lot of people were thinking it was going to be a political thing or something like that. What I heard was ... everybody praising God for the amazing things done in their life, family and the soldiers," Pujols said.

During his introduction, La Russa said heroes often are seen as products of movies, television and fiction books, but there are real-life ones like Pujols. What makes Pujols so special, La Russa said, is his commitment to his family, faith and community.

La Russa said that because he wasn't representing the team at the event, there's no reason for Cardinals fans, donors to his animal rights charity or anyone else to be critical.

"If it was wrong for me to participate, then it's my mistake," he said. "I did it as a personal choice, and what can they say? I wasn't representing the Cardinals. They didn't co-sign it. They just, I think, respected my choice."

Reactions: Chip

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Pujols is a better person than he is a baseball player believe it or not. I'm not much for heroes but if I was Pujols and Manute Bol would be at the top of the list. Guys like these inspire me to do better.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Humanity

Pujols is a better person than he is a baseball player believe it or not. I'm not much for heroes but if I was Pujols and Manute Bol would be at the top of the list. Guys like these inspire me to do better.

I know exactly what you are talking about....both are incredible examples..(it's a shame we lost Manute, that guy gave EVERYTHING back...and never forgot where he came from)...and Pujols always does the right thing on and off the field..good choices for heros........:cheeky:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
WTF is he thinking? I know it was probably hard for him to say no to La Russa, but come on? Getting involved with this right wing crap? He may have a good heart (even though he could do more for The DR), but he needs better advisors for both his career and life.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Not a problem

WTF is he thinking? I know it was probably hard for him to say no to La Russa, but come on? Getting involved with this right wing crap? He may have a good heart (even though he could do more for The DR), but he needs better advisors for both his career and life.

There is no way Albert Pujols will be damaged by this....and even if this was a ploy...(which I highly doubt... using him to attract followers).......getting involved would not be illegal in the US.....(as he would be entitled to his views.....just like you and me).....his rep is etched in stone...(solid)....that's what makes him Albert Pujols.....(the guy thinks innocent....harmless...), He probably WAS advised by his agent ....(or whoever).....and said "Thanx for the advice....but this is not a big deal....I'm going"......and it should be END OF STORY......but people love to grasp and reach..(the media)...and try to make something out of nothing....(not picking on you suarezn).....hey he's not perfect...and he can't please everyone....of course he could do more..(for the DR)....but you know and I know.....WE ALL CAN DO MORE.....lol.............:cheeky:

Right wing crap????? The guy was honored and thats all, it had nothing to do with right or left wing, he was honored for his contributions to humanity. He was an example of what an individual can do and not depend on Govts which are inherintly corrupt and/or ineffecient. Both in the US and in DR. But I guess you believe if Pujols gave money to the Dominican Govt it would reach the needy or the Govt official who needs a new SUV. God Bless Pujols and Glen Beck for that matter, At least he recognized the man for what he has done.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006

Correct, but he may have thinked that a caballo regalao no se le miran dientes. I don't support Glenn Beck at all, but AP foundations are a real help to the poor.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
USA politics, boring!!!

suarezn and Celt202 should be blamed for this thread being closed.

Good job guys!

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.