How much to pay for a Doctors visit?

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
Not sure where to post so feel free to move this thread.

I need some medical advise.

I need to bring my girlfriend to the OBGYN to get a sonagram. I have a question:

How much money should i bring with me to the doctors office for payment? (i was told D.R. doctors only accept cash)

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
If your near Sosua or Cabarete, Centro Medico, is quite reasonable. Less then half the price then the US. High quality new hospital.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Depends on the clinic and whether she has insurance.

consult with the doctor will be anywhere from 2000 to 5000 depending on the doctor and clinic, then the cost of the sonogram. normally "if" she has Ins. they will pay 80percent of the consult, and the sonogram, as long as within the network. out of network will depend on the plan she has.

If your in Santo Domingo the gynecology clinic on independence would be a good place to start.

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
We had a sonograph done at request of the boss indoors Gyn practitioner last Thursday in the ground floor of the Abel Gonzalez clinic ( the Dr there is highly recommended), the cost without insurance was 2000 pesos but that included a copy of the scan on Cd. In the clinic refered above (where the babies scans are normally done) the cost with insurance cover and inc Cd is 500 pesos. The gynocologist wanted a particular area of scan which was why he refered us to the Dr in the clinic to have an additional one done.

georgig

Jul 25, 2010
Hi,
We live in Cabarete, my wife is pregnant and we visit often gynecology in HOMS - Santiago. There we pay RD$ 900 per visit and 900 for sonographia incl CD. They have 3D sonograph. We don't have insurance. I do not recommend Cabarete Emergencia - there we paid 800 per visit but doctors were about to make a fatal mistake with my wife . As we expect baby soon, I'll appreciate any advice for a good pediatrition in Sosua/Cabarete region.
Regards

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Not sure where to post so feel free to move this thread.

I need some medical advise.

I need to bring my girlfriend to the OBGYN to get a sonagram. I have a question:

How much money should i bring with me to the doctors office for payment? (i was told D.R. doctors only accept cash)

I have seen an excellent doctor in the past, Dr Bienvenido Cid at Clinica Jose Gregorio Hernandez in Puerto Plata. They did not accept my International Insurance but his consult along with an ultrasound he performed was RD$500. He is extremely professional and has a very commendable bedside manner. I would have no hesitation in recommending him.

Just for clarification, Dr. Cid is strictly a Gynaecologist, not an Obstetrician.

Last edited:

georgig

Jul 25, 2010
I am reffering to "Centro Medico Cabarete - CMC". In the early stage of my wife's pregnancy two gynecologists put the diagnosis ""ectopic"" and insisted on immediate emergency surgery intervention to stop the pregnancy /for UDS 1000/ because, as they said ''my wife's life is in cruicial danger''. As that ment for us not to have any child anymore, we consulted our doctor in Europe and he suggested other exam at other place. That's what we did - we went to HOMS Santiago, nothing like ""ectopic"" was found and now we expect our healthy baby in early November.
Perhaps we had bad luck with CMC doctors, but this are the facts.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I am reffering to "Centro Medico Cabarete - CMC". In the early stage of my wife's pregnancy two gynecologists put the diagnosis ""ectopic"" and insisted on immediate emergency surgery intervention to stop the pregnancy /for UDS 1000/ because, as they said ''my wife's life is in cruicial danger''. As that ment for us not to have any child anymore, we consulted our doctor in Europe and he suggested other exam at other place. That's what we did - we went to HOMS Santiago, nothing like ""ectopic"" was found and now we expect our healthy baby in early November.
Perhaps we had bad luck with CMC doctors, but this are the facts.

Pleased you got a second opinion...they can be warranted in even the most reputable institutions.

BabyBlu

Jan 20, 2004
If you're in Santo Domingo try Centro Medico Fuentes-Romano...Not sure how much they charge for the doctors visit, but the charge for sonograms is between $500-$800. The adress is Av. Domingo Moreno Jimenez #13 (next to Escuela Peru) Barrio Mejormiento Social. Ph# 809-685-8286

BabyBlu

Jan 20, 2004
If you're in Santo Domingo try Centro Medico Fuentes-Romano...Not sure how much they charge for the doctors visit, but the charge for sonograms is between $500-$800. The adress is Av. Domingo Moreno Jimenez #13 (next to Escuela Peru) Barrio Mejormiento Social. Ph# 809-685-8286

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
I am reffering to "Centro Medico Cabarete - CMC". In the early stage of my wife's pregnancy two gynecologists put the diagnosis ""ectopic"" and insisted on immediate emergency surgery.

"Ectopic means "out of place". These pregnancies are commonly called "tubal pregnancies". In an ectopic pregnancy, a fertilized egg has implanted outside the uterus. The egg settles in the fallopian tubes in more than 95% of ectopic pregnancies. The egg can also implant in the ovary, abdomen, or the cervix, so you may see these referred to as cervical or abdominal pregnancies."

"None of these areas has space or nurturing tissue as a uterus for a pregnancy to develop. As the fetus grows, it will eventually burst the organ that contains it. This can cause severe bleeding and endanger the mother's life. A classical ectopic pregnancy does not develop into a live birth."

Reactions: SantiagoDR

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
"Ectopic means "out of place". These pregnancies are commonly called "tubal pregnancies". In an ectopic pregnancy, a fertilized egg has implanted outside the uterus. The egg settles in the fallopian tubes in more than 95% of ectopic pregnancies. The egg can also implant in the ovary, abdomen, or the cervix, so you may see these referred to as cervical or abdominal pregnancies."

"None of these areas has space or nurturing tissue as a uterus for a pregnancy to develop. As the fetus grows, it will eventually burst the organ that contains it. This can cause severe bleeding and endanger the mother's life. A classical ectopic pregnancy does not develop into a live birth."

This is not relevant...thankfully he said she will give birth in November so mis-diagnosed perhaps?

ps good googling though;)

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
This is not relevant...thankfully he said she will give birth in November so mis-diagnosed perhaps?)

"ectopic pregnancy" yes moot point, however does have a connection or bearing with the subject at issue (relevancy)- always good to know what the misdiagnosis was- imho. ;)

Last edited:

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
Thank you for the replies

Thank you to everyone who replied. This is my first time going through this and i am pretty clueless with any of this. I know Doctors in the states can be very expensive so I wasnt sure what to expect in D.R. We are near the capital(Bani) so I will jot down some of the suggestions.

She doesnt have her own insurance so i will guess i should expect to pay in the 500peso to 2000peso range. Thank you for all your help

Aspire

Nov 11, 2007
Price in SD

Expect 1,000 to 2,000 pesos for consultation.

Then, if I remember right, it was 1,500 for sonogram.

That was Abel Gonzalez Hospital on Lincoln.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i was recently (last month) in UNION hospital in santiago. short sonografia of a uterus and ovaries was a normal part of an exam. i paid 300 pesos (with insurance).