Dominicans in Miami FL

juan189

Oct 31, 2006
www.geocities.com
Hey Everybody,

American from Miami FL, (originally from New York City, fluent in English and Spanish, parents native dominicans), willing to show any newcomers South Florida. Feel free to PM me.

Thanks,

Juan Burgos

Last edited by a moderator:

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Listen man, take them down to NW 7th-36th Street to like NW 12-17th Avenue, and there will be your central Dominican neighborhood in Miami. Its nothing to brag about but that is the central Dominican area. And then when you want to meet the more well to do ones, you ll go out to Kendall and Doral, Miami Lakes and Hialeah Gardens in Dade County and Fort Lauderdale, Davie, Weston, Pembroke Pines in Broward County. And if there is any left you can hang around Biscayne Boulevard and NW 2nd Av to see Little Haiti(which I thought was a great place because the people had so much pride in their tiny but colorfully painted houses). Of course this was before RE speculators bought all that land up to build glass houses to the sky which not only didnt have buyers nor occupants but werent Cat. 5 Hurricane resistant.

Do you know what I miss though? POLLO TROPICAL. I love that place, they had the best hot sauce and man those Tropi-Chops??? Guoo-hoo!

Reactions: Bronxboy

romeola

Jul 24, 2010
I would like being in contact with you, Iam dominican but Iam really interested in getting a lot of information about MIAMI, Iam planning to move there, what things can you tell me about that state, Do you really like living there?....please, let me know your opinions,
thanks,...

Reactions: mike l
Mar 1, 2009
What do you want to know? Go to El Club Tipico Dominicano en la 36 calle y mas o menos la 22 avenida NW y ahi te van a dar tu frito con salchichon. Otherwise there are now plenty of Dominican places here. When I first came in 89, Dominican establishments we're few and far between. There are so many now you yawn when a new one opens up. If I like living here? If you want to party, get chics, pay scandalous prices for bottles in Night clubs and suffer bad traffic. Baby you are home!!! The 305 is not for everybody, but the 305 can drive you willd with all it's carnal delights hehehee....

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Pollo Tropical up North? I ve seen one in Union City/North Bergen on Kennedy Boulevard in the mall where Circuit City used to be next to the I-495 recessed highway leaving the Lincoln Tunnel and there is one in Staten Island on southwestern part of the island that I went into last year. Man, thats what they could use in the DR...as well as a Boston Market.

I used to get 2 meals when I was in Miami. One of them would be a chicken salad and the other would be the Tropi-Chop meal with the yellow rice and black beans with a side of fried yuca and something else I cant recall. Where? I d go to the one on NW7 & NW 36 Av, across from the Flagler Dog Track and the other on Okeechobee and NW42nd Ave in Hialeah

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
First Thing.

I would like being in contact with you, Iam dominican but Iam really interested in getting a lot of information about MIAMI, Iam planning to move there, what things can you tell me about that state, Do you really like living there?....please, let me know your opinions,
thanks,...

Miami is not a state it's a city in the state of Florida. Pet Peeve as my daughter was informed when she went to Carol Morgan by one of her instructors that Florida was in the state of Miami. We had moved here from Tampa. The instructor did not like being corrected by a freshman in high school. Guess the difference was she had taken Florida history not Miami history.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I guess they dont have maps in Carol Morgan? Damn, tell her to say next time that Wikipedia does have a Spanish language website(in addition to having their servers in Miami, ha!).

There s some acceptable ignorance, I told my brother in law in 2000 that I was going to Phoenix, and he says to me "Fenix, eh California". What was the point of correcting him? Some dude in Jarabacoa will never get the difference between Arizona and California. Thats like small 2 stars in the big blue sky for him.

Reactions: SantiagoDR

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
There s some acceptable ignorance, I told my brother in law in 2000 that I was going to Phoenix, and he says to me "Fenix, eh California".
There is a University of Phoenix, California.

and

Phoenix Lake-Cedar Ridge, California - Wikipedia...
Phoenix Lake-Cedar Ridge is a census-designated place (CDP) in Tuolumne County, California, United States. The population was 5123 at the 2000 census.

Or you could have meant University of Phoenix en Guaynabo, Puerto Rico. ;) lol

t9d26v.gif

SantiagoDR

Reactions: mike l

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Miami is not a state it's a city in the state of Florida. ..................
Don?t tell that to the Cubans, they think it is a territory of Cuba.....

That?s the way they acted when I was working in Miami.

t9d26v.gif

SantiagoDR

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
There is a University of Phoenix, California.

and

Phoenix Lake-Cedar Ridge, California - Wikipedia...
Phoenix Lake-Cedar Ridge is a census-designated place (CDP) in Tuolumne County, California, United States. The population was 5123 at the 2000 census.

Or you could have meant University of Phoenix en Guaynabo, Puerto Rico. ;) lol

t9d26v.gif

SantiagoDR

Nope, he is of the mindset if it aint in New York it must be in California. There is no space in between. It is the Los United Dos Estados de America.

amarillysh

Mar 26, 2008
I live in Miami and have lived here for most of my life. Primary school, high school, college. When I am in Santo Domingo eventhough I am very explicit on that I live in Miami people often as ask"What part of New York are you from". I have never even been to New York (does Yonkers count?).

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I live in Miami and have lived here for most of my life. Primary school, high school, college. When I am in Santo Domingo eventhough I am very explicit on that I live in Miami people often as ask"What part of New York are you from". I have never even been to New York (does Yonkers count?).

I can do you one better, I met a woman from Yapur Dumit section of Santiago and I said I am from NY and she said "what state?" I said NY. And she said "but what state in NY?" Apparently as I understand it, she thought the United States was in NY.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I have never even been to New York (does Yonkers count?).

Yes! NY is not confined to only the city.

Same thing in Florida. When I lived in Florida, I lived in Miami for a few months. I did not like at all. When I moved to West Palm Beach, which was 45 miles from Miami, the Cubans used to say that I should have moved to Georgia instead. Also, when I lived in Hollywood (15 miles from Miami), the Cubans used to say "hey you are moving up in this world". For them, Miami is everything to them and they do not know anywhere else in Florida.

Same thing goes fore NY. People get confined in NYC and never think that NY is more than just the city. I live in Scarsdale which is 13 miles from the Bronx. A totally different world. Yet people say I live upstate. I have to correct them all the time telling them that for people from upstate I am still a city dweller!!!!.

Go figure.;)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
That is because people often refer to the entire USA as Neuva York. The also tend to think that every one lives in Manhattan since that is more glamoruos than Washington Heights.

I actually am from New York. The state but not the city, so Yonkers counts for me.

Go Yankees.

This is true - USA=New York to many Dominicans.

And, by the way, Washington Heights IS in Manhattan.

Born and bred New Yorker myself. Go Mets.:cheeky:

AE

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Yes! NY is not confined to only the city.

Same thing goes fore NY. People get confined in NYC and never think that NY is more than just the city. I live in Scarsdale which is 13 miles from the Bronx. A totally different world. Yet people say I live upstate. I have to correct them all the time telling them that for people from upstate I am still a city dweller!!!!.

Go figure.;)

For those of us who grew up in the 5 boroughs or Long Island, any place north of the Bronx is "Upstate". You have to admit, it's another world, and was even more so 40 years ago.

I have cousins who live in Hamlin, NY [wayyyy up there] and when they come home to Middletown [Catskills] they say they're going "Downstate".

Of course, Middletown is "Upstate" to me.:ermm:

And was I ever surprised to trip over a Dominican restaurant in Middletown recently!! I had almost convinced myself that my husband was the only one who had even driven through there.

AE

For those of us who grew up in the 5 boroughs or Long Island, any place north of the Bronx is "Upstate". You have to admit, it's another world, and was even more so 40 years ago.

I have cousins who live in Hamlin, NY [wayyyy up there] and when they come home to Middletown [Catskills] they say they're going "Downstate".

Of course, Middletown is "Upstate" to me.:ermm:

And was I ever surprised to trip over a Dominican restaurant in Middletown recently!! I had almost convinced myself that my husband was the only one who had even driven through there.

AE

Where was it? I was born and raised in Middletown, New York but I moved to South Florida in 1993. I went back to visit family in Middletown in July of this year for the first time in 8 years, and the only place where I ate hispanic food was at the numerous mexican restaurants that are all over Orange County. One is called El Bandido and has been in Middletown since the 1970s.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Where was it? I was born and raised in Middletown, New York but I moved to South Florida in 1993. I went back to visit family in Middletown in July of this year for the first time in 8 years, and the only place where I ate hispanic food was at the numerous mexican restaurants that are all over Orange County. One is called El Bandido and has been in Middletown since the 1970s.

I have literally hundreds of relatives in Middletown, you must know some of them. Were you there for the Fair? I was there for a family reunion in July.

You know the old Playtogs? They made it into an indoor flea market, and in the back left corner is a Dominican restaurant.

AE