Where to purchase a Electric Fan

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
Where can i buy a electric fan in Santo Domingo?
To be honest I wouldnt know where to buy a electric fan in the U.S. I would
just Google it and end up ordering it.
I have been to plaza central before so i guess i can start there but i would appreciate any advice on other locations, suggestions on what brands are good, and what should i be looking out for in terms of child safety.

the person i am buying this for doesnt own there home so i do not want to buy a ceiling fan. they also have small children so i do not want to buy something where they can potentially hurt themselves. The neighborhood that there house is located in doesnt have many issues with electricity (their previous apt. had multiple outages daily. this new home has had maybe 1-2 outages per week). I think a small electric fan would be a nice thing to have in their bedrooms.

FYI, another reason is that there is more street noise in this new Apt. so with a fan maybe they can close the windows in the bedrooms facing the street to help dull the noise

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I just bought a floor fan in Plaza Lama at 27 and Churchill for 1000 pesos. Department stores and hardware stores sell them and have good floor displays.

If you want to save a buck many compra/ventas have good deals on fans. People get desperate and hock anything of value that they have.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Best brand is Hunter - if you can find a pedestal fan it is worth the extra $$$.

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
Thank you.....

I am still in the U.S. I am getting to the capital on Thursday. I am a techie so I am used to just ordering everything online and waiting for delivery. I do not have that luxury in D.R. and my visits are short so I want to make sure i handle these types of errands efficiently.

I did a little research myself and it looks like most sites say get a wall mount to avoid accidents with cords and keep it out of a child's reach. They also said to get some mesh to cover the fan so children cant stick their fingers in them.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I am still in the U.S. I am getting to the capital on Thursday. I am a techie so I am used to just ordering everything online and waiting for delivery. I do not have that luxury in D.R. and my visits are short so I want to make sure i handle these types of errands efficiently.

I did a little research myself and it looks like most sites say get a wall mount to avoid accidents with cords and keep it out of a child's reach. They also said to get some mesh to cover the fan so children cant stick their fingers in them.

Consider a pedestal fan instead of wall mount - that way they can use it in more than one room, and if it's up high enough off the floor [pedestal] the children will be fine.

AE

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
......... They also said to get some mesh to cover the fan so children cant stick their fingers in them.

Some of the better quality fans have a "mesh" cage which thus are finger proof.

Brand Name: "Sankey"

(That is the name, good quality, not anything to do with a similar name) ;) lol

t9d26v.gif

SantiagoDR

Last edited:

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Kdk

I bought a KDK (i think those are the initals) wall mount fan at a ferrateria in SD. Maybe my best purchase. Very respected name for fans in the DR. We have it for our balcony/patio. Its metal, hangs on a screw or nail over an outlet, oscillates and moves alot of air. easy to move from one room to the other if you like. You get what you pay for. Had a plastic floor fan--lasted maybe 3 mos. for 800rd. This fan was about 3,000rd and well worth it. Had it for about a yr. and it shows no signs of crapping out. Not real sure of the ferrateria name-- something like Ademco, Adecco, maybe around Winston Churchill. Very good place for bathroom fixtures, plumbing and the like.

Last edited:

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
KDK is one of the best, and the only one I recommand. Innovacion store at Tiradente/Kennedy are the distributors. Worth spending the $3000 as they will last for a very long time and yes floor fan is much better so you can move it around.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Best brand is Hunter - if you can find a pedestal fan it is worth the extra $$$.

Really a Hunter Pedestal Fan??? never knew they made a pedestal fan.

I do not know I mean in SD you can buy a fan, of every description and every size nearly a thousand fans per block in any retail area, they must be like the most common item sold here next to rice, platinos and chickens ......

We bought a 18" Universal Wall mount fan like nine years ago, works every day every night without failure yet, but it is getting a little noisy,,,,,it can go anytime and I will not complain, but will give it a decent burial in the back yard............

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I uses LASKO all plastic fans... their super QUIET and have run for more than 3 years now... 24/7 without a problem, except for the power cord replaced on one.
Most places like Plaza Lama, Coripio [sp?] and other places which sell fridges, cooking ranges and pots and stuff will have'em.

If you want the heavy duty stuff, the real big ones, all metal... you know the "industrial" grade like you see them in some stores and factories... they are available around 10 thousand Pesos (if I'm not mistaken) at most larger Ferreterias... they will also have Ceiling fans.

... J-D.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I find the squarish ones that sit on the floor are more long lasting than the pedestal ones............(got through 6 pedestals and square one still going )

nikkei ****e
lakewood good