The 7" Mini Notebooks on ebay... DON'T

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Few months ago, somewhere on this forum some suggested the 7" Mini Netbooks which are flooding the e-market for around USD 79.99 (incl. shipping from China): 7 mini netbook notebook wifi windows ce items - Get great deals on Computers Networking items on eBay.com!

As Melany's birth day was coming up on the horizon (Sept. 7th she will turn 9 :)), I thought "SWELL" and went ahead and ordered TWO (one for Nicol too... she's up for her birthday in November).
Well, it all started with the colors offered not being available (no pink for the girls :()... but oh well, it's "just" a computer... so bring'em on in black and white!

I got them here a few days ago, after we've been able to make customs agents in SDQ understand that there is something like 79.99 computers... NO duty! :p :)

Today I went to see BushBaby and I had to brag about the girls an how they will have their first computers. He even offered to get a case for Melany's.
Well, after a subsequent afternoon toying around with these puppies, I'm afraid I'll have to tell BB not to bother investing in a case for these dern things:

Yeah, like seen on youtube video presentations, they DO turn on... color picture, wouldn't you believe!
But most installed programs to either not work at all or fail as soon as you try to do something with it.

• Internet is VERY S L O W .... yes, slower than Dominican internet usually is, MUCH slower... so it IS - S - L - O - W - !
  • Then, the browser can't handle most web pages... like... web based e-mail (E. g.: yahoo)! There is a little e-mail pulling program, I did not go into that.
  • There is also a Youtube "helper"-program... and while it DOES find youtube videos on searches, it can't play the videos (File not found). Ha! Who want that?
  • There is "skype" program... First it acted so phony, for a moment I started to suspect it was a "make believe program". Then, I managed to log a new account and it DID show the request on my "real" computer's account... but not even messages transmit... let alone calls... fogitabboutit!
What works... is a foto viewer (there is not paint nor any other editing software) and the simplified WordPad program... I could even save a birthday letter to Melany, hallelujah!).

So, I am sorry to say, that if anyone thought "cool" a "disposable" little e-mail, browser and skype machine... one, one wouldn't be destroyed over loosing it or having it stolen... sorry, NOPE!

I am so disappointed I don't even know if I am going to concern Melany and Nicol with that crap. I'll have to find two REAL laptops or netbooks for them... but... that dawg sure ain't huntin'!

So... BUYER BEWARE. 80 bucks is not the world, to most of us (still, lets not forget that to some here it's a third of a monthly income!)... but you better take it to the steak house (if you find one, that is :D) or just make someone happy with it, buy'em some clothes, a new pair of shoes... maybe two or three pairs... WHATEVER but that thing!

... J-D.

PS: No ill feeling towards whom ever suggested these things! ;)

Reactions: drloca

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
thanks for the info. We were discussing those netbooks a couple of weeks ago, as one of our laptops is going to die soon, and mi esposa thought about getting one of those chinese netbooks.

As we have one other laptop and a desktop, but like most of us, live most of the time on our patio, she said a netbook would suit her just fine, just to surf the net, chat, or upload some pics...

Reading your post makes it clear we should look for better alternatives...

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
........, she said a netbook would suit her just fine, just to surf the net, chat, or upload some pics...

Reading your post makes it clear we should look for better alternatives...

Netbooks are really nice but you need to spend $300-350 USD for one, plus another $50 USD for an external hard drive. I recently purchased a Dell 10" screen netbook. I took the netbook on my last trip to the DR and was quite pleased. It is a little slower that my 15" laptop but not enough to complain about.

There is a MAJOR difference between the $80 ebay netbook and the Dell I purchased. The Dell came loaded with Windows 7 starter edition, 160 GB hard drive, 1 GB of RAM, Wireless 802.11b/g/n, touch pad, and a 6 cell battery.

The only problem I have is the maximum screen resolution on the netbook is 1024x600. I tried to load a picture viewer program which required minimum resolution of 1024x768 and it took several tries before it loaded. Viewing the program is fine except the top is clipped a little.

For portablility you can't beat a netbook. The netbook is a lot easier using on the plane and carrying around than my heavy, bulky laptop.

Surfing the net, viewing videos, uploads/downloads........... no problem.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Good deal...here's the same thing a bit cheaper (refurbished).

Refurbished/Cheaper? I went the cheaper route with my first laptop. I bought an Acer because it was a little over $100 cheaper than other brands. No problems the first month. The problem arose when I needed to have it repaired. I had to ship it to Acer for repair. I also had to pay postage going and coming. I got the laptop back and a month later it broke again. Another double postage bill. In the long run I came out a loser..........

I realize the netbook will be for a child but one should also consider repairs if needed. Laptops/Netbooks are more prone to repairs than desktops.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Refurbished/Cheaper? I went the cheaper route with my first laptop. I bought an Acer because it was a little over $100 cheaper than other brands. No problems the first month. The problem arose when I needed to have it repaired. I had to ship it to Acer for repair. I also had to pay postage going and coming. I got the laptop back and a month later it broke again. Another double postage bill. In the long run I came out a loser..........

I realize the netbook will be for a child but one should also consider repairs if needed. Laptops/Netbooks are more prone to repairs than desktops.

I've had very good luck with refurbished computers. They (by law) are supposed to be the same as new. Anyhow to each its own...just another option. Besides this is a 200 USD computer so is not like you're spending thousands of dollars.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Im suprised at you buying such an item from e bay , we live and learn.

I once bought some chinese binoculars which it said were used by the army, they actually made things smaller lol

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
PriceMart had a display last Saturday with three name brand netbooks for sale for like RD$13,000-15,000...even in pink.

Low RAM

Came to my mind too, Stephane... :D

But I thought that for a 9 year old it would do. At least the little it has would work. NOPE.
So, I actually didn't get what I paid for.

I am looking at this now, but it won't be here in time for the birthday party:

Asus - Eee PC Netbook with Intel? Atom? Processor - Black - 1005HAB-RBLK003X

... J-D.

JD keep in mind that it is a 1GB of RAM and it may be slow at times, specially when running heavy apps or programs off the net. It's a good choice to handle e-mails and browse the net, but it may be slow at times as it gets busy with apps. It has a great size HD (160GB) and the price is good too.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Thanks for all the suggestions.
I would not have bought one for me... but I thought, if it'd do what Win 3.11 did... for a 9 year old... why not?

It's not even that.

Anyways. I will be going to the States later this month and shall bring Melany a REAL thing down. I don't want to invest into a full fledged computer... she won't be "working" with it every day. I can pass ripped DVD's from my computer. I don't want her do become a "gamer"... she shall just HAVE her own computer and gradually learn to used it soundly.

But yes, sure ain't going to fall for them Chinese offers again.

And JR! Did you try looking thru your binoculars the other way, while spying on your chickens and hogs and what ever you may have in your backyard? :D

... J-D.