La Romana

dortrust

Jan 23, 2010
I am interested in the area of La Romano. We have never visited am would like to know if others prefer it to the other side. We know nothing about the caribbean side. Are the beaches nice. Is there more crime? Is it basically an AI area or are there condo's as well. Eventually we plan to own in the DR and we are just in the time of researching and trying different areas. Any insight would be great.

egl

Aug 31, 2010
Information on La Romana-

I lived and worked in La Romana for 16 years and retired to Spain in 2005.
First I would like to say that I had a wonderful time there but there are important things to consider if you intend to live there. Firstly as you probably know it is a third world country. There were power cuts most days lasting for many hours. I worked for a large sugar company and lived in an area on the coast which they provided with electricity. The coastline at La Romana is rocky though there are a couple of places which the locals use but there are no facilities not what you would be looking for. There is a large resort called Casa de Campo within about two miles away which has everything you could expect. It is mainly visited by Americans and people do have private villas there though they are expensive. It was owned by the sugar company which I worked for so I had free access to their facilities. If you like golf the courses there are great but expensive. About a 15 miutes drive from La Romana is a place called Altos de Chavon which is called an artists village. It is high up and overlooking the River Chavon, if you go for a visit this is worth a look. Also don't forget the DR is in the huuricane zone and make sure any insurance covers this. If you want any advice on different areas or other matters feel free to ask.
EGL

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
The area of Bayajibe is a 15 min drive from La Romana town and only 5-10 mins from La Romana airport and this is where you will find the All Inclusive resorts such as Dreams La Romana, Oasis Canoa, and the Iberostar resort.

There is also a really nice little village on the beach with a few gift shops, cafes and a public beach. The waters here are very still, clear and warm.

All the boat trips to Saona Island are from here for the toursits but you can hire a small boat to take the trip also which is a must. On the way to Saona Island there is a natural shallow where everyone gets out and stands waist high in the water for a glass of rum and it feels like you are stood in the middle if the sea and lots of starfish are to be found.

La Romana town itself it actually one of the nicer towns i have visited and i go there on a regular basis usually for the shopping at the large Jumbo supermarket which is the best place for a wide variety of fresh fruit and veg and a great place to start to equip any accommodations you eventually find.

The famous Casa de Campo is also very close as well as ALtos de Chavon a replica 16th century village made from coral, It is a beautiful place with great views of the river. Altos de Chavon also has an ampitheatre where many famous artists have performed over the years.

For me i think La Romana and Bayajibe are the nicest places in the east coast and in a perfect location, an hour and a half to Punta Cana, half an hour from San Pedron de Macoris and only 2 hours to the Capital.

The roads around La Romana seem to exceed those of other towns, especially Higuey where i live. It seems all round brighter, more colouful and cheery than where i am and not quite so mad.

dortrust

Jan 23, 2010
Thank you so much. We have been to Punta Cana but thinking of seeing more of the country this year. I don't seem to be finding flights to La Romana. Do you know of any airlines that fly into their airport? You have given me a nice overview of the area THANKS

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
You have to start learning how to spell correctly the name of the town.
La Romana
Bayahibe also has a nice little mediterranean village Cadaques Caribe. with nice condos and a small boutique hotel.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
Thank you so much. We have been to Punta Cana but thinking of seeing more of the country this year. I don't seem to be finding flights to La Romana. Do you know of any airlines that fly into their airport? You have given me a nice overview of the area THANKS

Where would you be flying from?

There are flights from the UK with Thomas Cook, but i am pretty sure some U.S flights go there.

dortrust

Jan 23, 2010
Sorry about the misspell. Thank you all I am learning. I would be flying out of Chicago. I would for sure have to check out the beach area. Did not know some were rocky.