Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default San Marzano Tomatoes

Does anybody know if you can buy San Marzano Tomatoes seed in the DR?

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Mido, they're hard to find outside of Italy. Dominicans grow plum tomatoes, but I've never seen San Marzanos. I like the Franchi brand from Italy, I buy them online, here are some sources:

Seeds of Italy
    gourmetseed.com Paste Saladette Tomato Seed | Quality & Value
    Amazon.com: San Marzano Tomato 50 Seeds - Great for Sauce!: Patio, Lawn & Garden

I think I read somewhere that you can't ship/bring seeds to DR, so check that out first.

AE

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

The plum tomatoes here are very tasty but isn't everything here tasty as it can ripe under that nice warm sun.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

To tell you the truth Acira, I've never enjoyed a tomato in DR unless we grew them ourselves. For some reason they seem to pick and eat them rather green.

AE

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    To tell you the truth Acira, I've never enjoyed a tomato in DR unless we grew them ourselves. For some reason they seem to pick and eat them rather green.

AE
    The tomatoes we buy are from the local vegetable market (local farmers selling their stuff in town) and I must say they are alway's nice ripe red.
    I see the green ones laying there also but we can just point out which ones we want.
    I sometimes use the green ones in some salads because they do have a different taste which complements that type of salad better then a red one.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    Mido, they're hard to find outside of Italy. Dominicans grow plum tomatoes, but I've never seen San Marzanos. I like the Franchi brand from Italy, I buy them online, here are some sources:

Seeds of Italy
    gourmetseed.com Paste Saladette Tomato Seed | Quality & Value
    Amazon.com: San Marzano Tomato 50 Seeds - Great for Sauce!: Patio, Lawn & Garden

I think I read somewhere that you can't ship/bring seeds to DR, so check that out first.

AE
    Thanks a lot for the links! The reason why I wanted to buy them here is that you cannot ship or bring them here legally.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

While Dominicans seem to prefer (or not mind) green and less-than-red tomatoes, I rarely have trouble finding deep red perfectly ripened tomatoes, especially the plum tomatoes at most big supermarkets.

While they may be illegal to import, I brought about 20 packs of various vegetable seeds with me one trip...just in my suitcase...was not questioned when the bag was scanned at STI...I didn't realize they weren't allowed...

BTW, Nacional in Santiago has 400g cans of DiCecco peeled tomatoes for around $1 per can...and several other brands of tomatoes, sauces, and pastes from Italy...