Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
To tell you the truth Acira, I've never enjoyed a tomato in DR unless we grew them ourselves. For some reason they seem to pick and eat them rather green.

AE

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
To tell you the truth Acira, I've never enjoyed a tomato in DR unless we grew them ourselves. For some reason they seem to pick and eat them rather green.

AE

The tomatoes we buy are from the local vegetable market (local farmers selling their stuff in town) and I must say they are alway's nice ripe red.
I see the green ones laying there also but we can just point out which ones we want.
I sometimes use the green ones in some salads because they do have a different taste which complements that type of salad better then a red one.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Mido, they're hard to find outside of Italy. Dominicans grow plum tomatoes, but I've never seen San Marzanos. I like the Franchi brand from Italy, I buy them online, here are some sources:

Seeds of Italy
gourmetseed.com Paste Saladette Tomato Seed | Quality & Value
Amazon.com: San Marzano Tomato 50 Seeds - Great for Sauce!: Patio, Lawn & Garden

I think I read somewhere that you can't ship/bring seeds to DR, so check that out first.

AE

Thanks a lot for the links! The reason why I wanted to buy them here is that you cannot ship or bring them here legally.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
While Dominicans seem to prefer (or not mind) green and less-than-red tomatoes, I rarely have trouble finding deep red perfectly ripened tomatoes, especially the plum tomatoes at most big supermarkets.

While they may be illegal to import, I brought about 20 packs of various vegetable seeds with me one trip...just in my suitcase...was not questioned when the bag was scanned at STI...I didn't realize they weren't allowed...

BTW, Nacional in Santiago has 400g cans of DiCecco peeled tomatoes for around $1 per can...and several other brands of tomatoes, sauces, and pastes from Italy...