Recipes needed for cooking with limes

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
We have three trees with limes and two trees with a variety of oranges (taste between an orange and grapefruit, don't know the name of it).

I make lime juice, lots of it, now the other ones are ripe I mix the juices and it taste very good. We use a lot of limes in our cooking also but...we just cannot keep up with the fruits growing.

I find it a shame that all that lovely fruit would go to waste, friends dropping over are alway's going home with a bag full, but pluck some, especially the limes and two day's later you see already new ones growing.

So, if anybody has some nice way's such as cooking recipes or other way's to use them, I would be thankful if you would share them with me.

Thx

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We have three trees with limes and two trees with a variety of oranges (taste between an orange and grapefruit, don't know the name of it).

I make lime juice, lots of it, now the other ones are ripe I mix the juices and it taste very good. We use a lot of limes in our cooking also but...we just cannot keep up with the fruits growing.

I find it a shame that all that lovely fruit would go to waste, friends dropping over are alway's going home with a bag full, but pluck some, especially the limes and two day's later you see already new ones growing.

So, if anybody has some nice way's such as cooking recipes or other way's to use them, I would be thankful if you would share them with me.

Thx

The oranges might be naranja agria - bitter oranges. If they are, use the juice to marinate meats, does an amazing job!

You can substitute limes for lemons in almost any recipe, and they make a wonderful "Lemonade", better than with yellow lemons IMO.

AE

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Are your trees "Key Lime" trees? If so, Key Lime Pie mmmmmm!

You could also give some away to neighbours - I know a lot of poor Dominicans find them expensive.

Gin and Tonic cocktails (I'm sure there are lots of other drink cocktails that use lime too ...margaritas and mojitos, for example)

Lime preserve - kind of like marmalade

Fish ceviche

Marinade for chicken - i mix juice from a few limes, olive oil, garlic, black pepper, bit of hot sauce, bit of oregano, chopped red onions. Marinade for a few hours or overnight and bbq!

mango salsa

squeezed over avocado

with chicharron

on salad - use lime and olive oil instead of vinegar and olive oil

lime sorbet (don't ask me how but I know I've seen in the ice cream shop)

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
Here's a recipe my 8 year old taught me the other day:

Lime pie

Squeeze the juice from 8 limes (vary according to your tastes) with 2 cans of Carnation in a bowl and mix well. Then, in a flat pan, put down a layer of graham crackers (or cookies that are similar), pour the Carnation/lime juice mixture over to cover, then add another layer of cookies, cover with the remaining mixture, and then add a top layer of the graham crackers. Place in the refrigerator for 2 hours to gel. Enjoy.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Thanks already for the advice, some things we do, others are new for us.

The fruit I don't know the name of which are called here bitter oranges...I don't know if they are bitter oranges, took one to our nearest local colmado and they haven't seen it, didn't know what it was. Maybe I will take a few to the vegetable market next time, those farmers will probably know what it is and I will take a picture of it. They grow not like the limes, only blossom once and carry 5 months later ripe fruit (a lot of it!) in one season.

Every Dominican that passes here to do some work on the property (we don't have neighbors) can get all the limes they want.

El Forestaro, I have no clue if these trees are Key Lime trees, is there a way I can see that?

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
i would guess bitter orange - we have three , nasty things lol - they can be used like lemon juice to make lemonade when mixed with the limes/lemons as they have a lot of juice

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Are your trees "Key Lime" trees? If so, Key Lime Pie mmmmmm!

You could also give some away to neighbours - I know a lot of poor Dominicans find them expensive.

Gin and Tonic cocktails (I'm sure there are lots of other drink cocktails that use lime too ...margaritas and mojitos, for example)

Lime preserve - kind of like marmalade

Fish ceviche

Marinade for chicken - i mix juice from a few limes, olive oil, garlic, black pepper, bit of hot sauce, bit of oregano, chopped red onions. Marinade for a few hours or overnight and bbq!

mango salsa

squeezed over avocado

with chicharron

on salad - use lime and olive oil instead of vinegar and olive oil

lime sorbet (don't ask me how but I know I've seen in the ice cream shop)

One of my favourites and we got a nice bunch with roots of mint from WB to plant. We planted it, put it under the patio...forgot to give it water but could save it...put it outside so that it could catch rain...too much rain and they rotted away...damn :cheeky:

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
if you want I will bring you the pits from these giant Californian nectarines I ate yesterday. Whoa! they were so delicious.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
i would guess bitter orange - we have three , nasty things lol - they can be used like lemon juice to make lemonade when mixed with the limes/lemons as they have a lot of juice

They do have a lot of juice in them and being nasty, why do all those trees, lime trees included have thorns on them...damn, if I want to give the dogs water in the paddock next to the garden the only way is through those trees :pirate:

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
ole

margaritas, lots of margaritas...............

oh, we are in rum country,,,,mojitos, lots of mojitos

May 29, 2006
Lemon(lime) bar squares

Ingredients
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 cup confectioners' sugar (icing sugar)
1 cup butter, melted

4 eggs
2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
5/8 cup lemon juice

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch pan.
In a medium bowl, stir together 2 cups flour and confectioners' sugar. Blend in the melted butter. Press into the bottom of the prepared pan.
Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until golden. In a large bowl, beat eggs until light. Combine the sugar, baking powder and 1/4 cup of flour so there will be no flour lumps. Stir the sugar mixture into the eggs. Finally, stir in the lemon juice. Pour over the prepared crust and return to the oven.
Bake for an additional 30 minutes or until bars are set. Allow to cool completely before cutting into bars. Top with whipped cream.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Reactions: Tamborista

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
If you have the standard Persian lime, you can dry them and add them to soups and stews. (They work well with lentil and bean soups that also contain tomato). I buy them dried and simply puncture the limes (3-4) and add them to the pot.

Here's how to dry them:
How to Dry Persian Limes | eHow.com

Here's an article on how they're used. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/02/dining/02power.html I was introduced to them by my ex-husband (Persian) who taught me how to cook and I still use them today. They really add something interesting to a soup or stew.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
You need fresh mint for Mojitos. Has anyone found a source for them? They were discussed on another thread.

most viveros have the plants. It is a little different from the ones in Europe, as they seem a little less strong in smell, but not in taste...

As far as the limes go... you guys have no ideas how much a couple of trees here produce... In the last 2 months, I have sold 600 to the local comados (my price must be too cheap as they keep ordering them :bunny:), given away probably another 600, and they still keep falling of the trees, and new ones growing on it...

You don't know how glad I am I did not go for this piece of land, offered to me at a bargain price, with 500 of those damn trees :ermm:

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
They are very small, smooth-skinned, round, and sometimes more yellow than green...and are sweeter than regular limes. If you have these..and make key lime pie...I'll be there this Saturday!! :bunny:

Here's a pic that shows the difference compared to a standard (persian) lime:

Google Image Result for http://www.keylimepietree.com/keylimepersian.jpg

No, no Key Lime trees (I think because the Persian ones on the pictures have a much rougher skin then the ones in our garden :ermm:) but I sure would like the recipe for that pie, gonna try it with the Persian ones who are fully ripe and turn into yellow then.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
dont worry it will probably rest for two years afterwards - like ours did.

Squeeze and freeze in managable containers