Pop

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrdr

Jul 27, 2010
Pop ..

Hi all,

We will be coming to Santo Domingo next month. However, we are flying into Puerto Plata airport (POP). We just found that we will be waiting out at the airport for 3 hours while our friend can get out of work and drive up from Santo Domingo to pick us up.

Does anyone know if the airport offers wifi? Any particular location in the airport?

Thank you. :eek:

Last edited:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Why wait in the airport? Take a cab to Sosua, about 10 minutes ride and meet there. Rocky's for example has WiFi, food and drinks.

mrdr

Jul 27, 2010
Why wait in the airport? Take a cab to Sosua, about 10 minutes ride and meet there. Rocky's for example has WiFi, food and drinks.

That's a great idea. I will mention that to our friend who is going to pick us up.

However, just in case we would like to wait out the 3 hours, does the airport offer wifi?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
That's a great idea. I will mention that to our friend who is going to pick us up.

However, just in case we would like to wait out the 3 hours, does the airport offer wifi?

You will be virtually outside the airport area, I doubt very much you will get WiFi there. No reason to stay there for 3 hours.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
The only thing you can get outside the airport is a beer and some potato chips. And expensive cigars. Going to Sosua sounds like a good idea, its only 10 mins.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I believe you could stay in the VIP lounge...but it's like $30 p/p although includes food, drinks, tv, comfy chairs...and I think wifi.

You realize that after waiting the 3 hours, you will have another 2.5-3.5 hour drive ahead of you, right?

Mar 2, 2008
I do not believe that anyone can re-enter the airport to get to the VIP lounge without a boarding pass, although that would be a great alternative if it were possible.

I think the best thing to do is grab a taxi to Rocky's and meet your friend there. You may then decide to spend the night in Sosua rather than driving 4 plus hours down to SD.

Of course it all depends upon your plans and preferences, but I would opt for relaxing and spending the night in Sosua.

Reactions: Bronxboy
Jan 17, 2009
You seriously don't want to have to sit at the airport in uncomfortable chairs, hot and humid weather, for 3 hours after a long trip and before another long trip. POP is not an airport for a long wait outside. Rocky's is an excellent idea.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I do not believe that anyone can re-enter the airport to get to the VIP lounge without a boarding pass, although that would be a great alternative if it were possible.

I think the best thing to do is grab a taxi to Rocky's and meet your friend there. You may then decide to spend the night in Sosua rather than driving 4 plus hours down to SD.

Of course it all depends upon your plans and preferences, but I would opt for relaxing and spending the night in Sosua.

If you reserve the VIP lounge before you arrive, they meet you as you deplane and bring you right into the lounge. They take your passport and baggage claim tix and clear you through immigration and retrieve your bags while you wait in the lounge. I'm just not sure if you can stay in there for three hours....or that you'd really want to...but it's a better option than waiting at the airport...

That being said...going to Sosua is a better option altogether...

Reactions: Bronxboy

Naptime

Jul 23, 2008
www.vitos.com
sosua and rockys is a whopping 10 minutes from the airport..

there is no wifi connection there iirc, and if so, it will be very spotty. (its horrible outside at sti)

no way would i sit there for 3 horus, when sosua is 10 minutes down the road.

a crapload of restaurants or bars to choose from, almost all of which offer wifi.

or the beach... and there are several places on the beach that now offer wifi as well.

sun, beers, surf, sand, and wifi... for 3 hours....

or, hard plastic uncomfortable chairs, and heat at the airport, with little to no wifi...

hmm... tough call :)

Aug 21, 2007
And the VIP lounge, is dark, gloomy, with no windows. Why arrive in the DR, then sit in a windowless room in air conditioning for an extended amount of time. Sounds like torture to me.....

Lindsey

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Excellent Bus to Santo Domingo

Just in case you don't know, there is excellent first class, air conditioned bus service from the North Coast to Santo Domingo. Check with a travel agent or online, for the schedule and location of the bus terminal. Just be sure to bring a jacket. Dominicans love their air conditioning.

Ben

Feb 2, 2004
The VIP Lounge at the POP airport definitely has free wifi. I've sat there for 2 hours and the chairs are not so bad. Also, there's air conditioning so no need to worry about the heat. On the other hand, the free food consists of only finger sandwiches and corn chips or potato chips.

Ben

SNH

Jul 24, 2010
No Way

No way I would sit at POP airport for 3 hours plus where would sit once you come out the gates with all the taxis waiting ?

My vote goes for taxi to sosua hands down.

Status
Not open for further replies.