entertainment ideas

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
My son, 14, and I are looking for some fun things to do on the weekends. We live near Sosua. For a couple weeks its got to be low activity as he's just had an operation (no swimming either). He's interested in just about everything. Any ideas? Thanks

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Go carting at Fun City near POP.

Always good for a laugh. Remember to have a few fifties spare to tip the attendants and they will "tweak" your cart!

yb1

Oct 6, 2008
Ocean World Marine Park 5km west of Puerto Plata.

Jungle river boat tour at Yasica / Islabon river - 5km east of Cabarete. Learn about flora and fauna on the river. Nature trails to mini zoo (iguanas, turtles, snakes)

ATV / quad tour?

Mini golf (there's one in Cabarete).

Glass bottom boat ride in Sosua Bay.

Cable car ride (is it still working?) Mount Isabela de Torres in Puerto Plata.

Maybe someone knows of a drumming workshop in the area?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
cable car works just fine but i would suggest a drive up the mountain. the road has been fixed recently and the views all the way up are just amazing.
ocean world is nice but "no swimming" greatly reduces the list of things-to-do there. but if you have money you can splash (quite literally) on dolphin encounter there. it requires getting into the water about waist deep thou.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Some new things to do.

A new clinic has opened up El Choco road. A crazy American has built, in record time, an amazing place way up El Choco road. Known now as "Monkey Jungle", they have been treating Dominicans and Haitians in need of dental and medical care and working with local hospitals and paying for needed surgery. Seeing the people and what they are doing is very rewarding. To contribute even more so.

The views are amazing. The monkey habitat is awesome and yes, he has monkeys. The zip lines, 5?, are up and waiting for the team from the U.S. to give them the go ahead to open. The food stand is about done. I think that Chuck has worked a deal with Outback Safari also. Chuck has paid for the road to be graded so is not a difficult drive.

Not officially open yet but still worth a trip up to look around and perhaps bring some cloths, shoes or other items that may be donated. Open ONLY on Saturdays. HADAC or google: el choco monkey jungle.

My wife and I ride our horses up from Paradiso del Cabello also on El Choco rode. Rent a horse and join us some Saturday morning for about a 3 hour ride and visit Chucks' place while seeing the D.R. and people from a different point of view. We don't charge but the stables do. They don't have a web site but feel free to contact me for more information.

El Choco National Park. This was private land that the owner got to be a National Park. I have not been yet but understand that they have miles of walking and biking trails. Access from Caberete but don't know exactly where. Google: el choco national park dominican republic

A couple of weeks ago some north coast biking clubs got together and did the whole el choco road and the park. Over 200 passed us while we were riding. Very impressive to see so many of all ages biking up this rough road in the heat. Sorry that I don't know the name of the clubs but I'm sure someone can give some additional information.

Please start new threads for each to add specific comments/information.

Ringo

Reactions: wuarhat