Inverters - Again.. (Sorry)

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
Hi Everyone.. I'm kinda an oldie here, but haven't been here in ages, so I guess that will make me a newbie. For those who don't know my story, I'm a NY Gringa who married the love of her life 12 years ago. We were married 9 years, together 14, and obviously now divorced. Anyway he was from Barahona.

We have 4 beautiful kids together.. (3 are mine biologically, 1 was his before we started *smile* that I raise).. My 3 are young 4, 6, and 9.

I'm currently studying online, and work online. My father in-law asked that I come live there for some time while I study and he can help with the kids. It's an excellent setup for me, except we are talking about the Campo. He lives in Barahona but out in the countryside. You know, outhouses and all that. I LOVE it there, and can't wait, but I need to make sure that I can get my internet there. Worse case scenario we come back to the US.. But I'd like to give it my 100%

I searched the DR1 board, and came up with older resources on Inverters. I read somewhere that people felt (on one of the threads) that it's best to buy the inverter in the DR.. Is that still the case or is old info, just that? Old info? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated..

I would like to run maybe 2 computers and 2 fans from my inverter. 1 computer is a laptop, the other is a desktop with a flat panel. It will also have the Internet Modem, and Router. I'm looking at 2500 Watts with 24V, am I looking at the right ones? How do I know how many batteries? What are the life of the batteries? Would it be better to get internet through my blackberry? (someone else suggested that).. Is there any other tips you can all offer? My father in-law has internet at his house.. No running water, but he's got internet! lol Priorities I tell you!! :)

Thanks everyone!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
2400W (more commonly referred to as 2.4kw)/24v would be plenty to run 2 fans and 2 computers. But the household also has lights and a fridge I would imagine. But the incremental cost between a 2.4kw and 3.6 is minor; I'd go with the extra capacity unit as it won't have to work as hard.

How long it runs is up to the number of batteries. In a 24v system you'll need batteries in mulyiples of four.

You may want to determine how long, on average, you have no electricity. I have a 3.6/24 system with foru batteries and only have tapped out the system once, and that took 7 hours running a fridge, a couple of lights, three computers and two UPS's.

I also found a locally manufactured unit by Interluz to be every bit as a solid piece as expensive imported name brands.

Expect to spend about US$800-1000 for a good system with four batteries.

I posted my experience here:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/96620-inverters-made-dr.html