Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like

    Unhappy Have you heard of poison mango?

    Growing up in Canada I suffered badly from Poison Ivy allergic reactions. I know it doesn't exist in this form here in the DR. But 3 times in the last year I have had an allergic reaction reminding me of my youth. I have a small garden here with some trees. Just realized the only one I touched before this last breakout was the mango tree. Look out wikipedia, yep, same urushiol. Now I have to get someone to cut the tree down. And I love mangos!
    Last edited by canadandy; 09-05-2010 at 06:39 PM. Reason: spelling

  2. #2
    Silver
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,465
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    No way you can avoid touching that tree? Shame you should have to cut it down...

  3. #3
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    924
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    You might brush into it accidentally. Some people like me react bad enough to even from that, that I need to get cortizone shots.

  4. #4
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    915
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Before you cut the tree, you might consider a visit to an allergy specialist. Perhaps others on the forum could recommend an allergist in your area.

  5. #5
    Gold
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7,919
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default this wild flower is a more likely cause- lantana


  6. #6
    Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I haven't seen this one in my garden. Does "Lantana" give the same allergic reaction as urushiol?

  7. #7
    Gold
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    9,821
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Pencil tree sap can also cause some bad reactions. It has a toxic white latex sap can cause skin irritation. I know a guy who went blind on one side for three days because he rubbed his eye after breaking a branch of it and a dog that needed to go to a vet because her skin got infected where it got on her.



    In short, there are a lot of nasty plants in the DR.

  8. #8
    Gold
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7,919
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    it bring me out in a rash from the leaves - i beleive every part is poisonous thats why they machete them down on pasture land - there is also a purple version

  9. #9
    Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't have a pencil tree in my garden either.
    Has anyone else had a reaction to mango trees?

  10. #10
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    11,155
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Isn't that a protected species of tree, you can't just cut it down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •