Duty & Taxes on Shipping Personal Goods to Dom Rep

bluenose

Dec 31, 2007
I am moving to Bavaro area approx. October this year. I will not be applying for my residency papers until I arrive (for some stupid reason I did not do this the last 100 times I was there).
I understand with the residency papers I am entitled to ONCE bring my personal goods in duty & tax free.
I am planning on storing my goods back here in Canada until I receive my residency papers, then giving the moving company the go ahead and ship them.
However, I was just wondering if anyone knows what the duty & taxes are like if you do not have your residency papers, like are they outragous or so-so.
I ask this, as I am wondering if it would be worth my while just to ship it when I leave Canada, and pay the taxes when it arrives in Dominican, or pay for my storage costs here in Canada for 3-4 months.
Any input is appreciated.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I can tell you from our experience that with out the residency or bill was over $4500 for taxes and they only inspected 1/2 the container and stopped because they did not have a fork lift to mover the stove that was in the center of the container and could not get to the back half or the container. So our bill probably would have been over 9K. With the one time exoneration our tax bill was $400

Bob K

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Important to know, that the 1 time tax exemption is only good for the FIRST 6 MONTHS OF YOUR TEMPORARY RESIDENCE STATUS.
I learned this the hard way because I was never made aware of this.....my fault..

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2009
You can order your shipment right after you apply for your residency. You only need to have applied for it to get the exemption. I don't recall how much we paid for some items that they decided to tax but it wasn't much. A couple of thousand US$ at most.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Residency Requirements

You will need to start the residency process in Canada. You will need the following: Passports, original birth certificates, notorized, 4 each passport photos, a criminal record check, notorized. You will mail or hand deliver these to the Dominican Embassy in Canada. They will put their stamp of approval and have these translated into spanish. You will be charged for all of this. Then you will bring these to an attorney in the DR. You will be scheduled for a medical exam, consisting of a chest x-ray and blood and urine samples taken. On the same day your attorney will walk your documents through the system. Only after this is done will the approval process start.

s