Internet in Punta Cana

DRandGR

Aug 27, 2007
I will be in Punta Cana for a couple of weeks, next week. Need internet access in apartment. What options are available for short term internet? Can I get prepaid internet or what do you suggest?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
You can get pre-paid wireless with Claro and Orange. Claro works out cheaper but their customer service is dire. You pay for the cost of the USB and for the period you'll be using it for. No contract required.

Reactions: AlterEgo

nicholas1

Sep 4, 2010
Hi there some places have wi-fi but lately they have added security codes. Now there is a rest. in friusa "las lenas" that u can have a cup of coffee and have acces,but sometimes the signal is pertty bad. UR best bet is go to an internet cafe and pay 50 pesosrd an hour= about 1.25 us an hour, the hotels will charge u an arm and a leg.
Hope this helps

DRandGR

Aug 27, 2007
Hot spots won't work because I need access in my apartment. What are the costs for prepaid Claro? What do I need to buy or bring with me (besides a laptop)?

DRandGR

Aug 27, 2007
Thanks . . . hopefully it will work where I need it. Any idea on the cost for a USB modem & SIM card or should I bring my own?

Hel and back

Sep 14, 2007
I know this may not help those wanting internet for a couple of weeks, but Bec Tel used to offer internet options installed in your property at reasonable prices and also a "holiday" facility of suspending service when away from the DR - not sure if Bec Tel are still operating......

Hel and back

Sep 14, 2007
oh great! - I'm arriving at the weekend until Christmas so will have to look at alternatives. I've been looking on Tricom's website and they offer Wimax in Bavaro - anyone got any experience with this service???

Hel and back

Sep 14, 2007
OK - but the claro and orange are quite a bit more expensive - is it really worth it when I only need basic internet to check emails.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I suppose you get what you pay for. Friends in B?varo who have Tricom complain it's worse than useless.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
since Bec Tel went Belly Up 2nd last december I use the USB Stick from Claro, not the prepaid versions, I have it on contract, and since then I am very happy with it, signal is great all around, at home the same than on the Road.
I did not use Orange but hear good stuff about their product, too.
Tricom I know several friends who have it, all use it only for once in a while e-mail checks, not for work, and even for that minor use it is in their opinion not worth the cheaper rate. the problem with the Tricom Wimax contracts here is that you have to travel to their mainoffice in Santo Domingo in case you want to cancel your contract, alone that feature would be for Me reason enough to not to deal with a particular Company.
a friend of mine living next door here has the USB syick from Viva and is also very happy with the reliability of the service.
Mike

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Claro and Orange work fairly well. The downside of using Claro is having to deal with their dreadful customer service and absurd systems. I've moved on to Orange and although it's not without issues (the signal is not that consistent - but it's definitely enough for checking and replying to e-mails, billing error that was rectified in one phone call to customer services) the people who work there are much easier to deal with.
Viva is the least expensive, apparently, and if Mike's neighbours recommend it maybe you should try that one, Helen.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I'm surprised to hear all the complaints about Tricom. I've had their service for over a year and it's been very reliable. I'm getting about 2MB/s downloads and about 500kbps uploads.

Hel and back

Sep 14, 2007
Hi all
Just to let you know that I've managed to get internet sorted. Have gone with the prepaid claro service, it was a little more than viva but claro gave you the dongle free and viva wanted to charge for it. Got a bit confused though on the impuestos - thought it was 16% but there was an additional 10% and a 2% - all of which no one could tell me what they were for!!! Still got 3gb download per month and so far, signal has been excellent - even through the storm!

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Hi all
Just to let you know that I've managed to get internet sorted. Have gone with the prepaid claro service, it was a little more than viva but claro gave you the dongle free and viva wanted to charge for it. Got a bit confused though on the impuestos - thought it was 16% but there was an additional 10% and a 2% - all of which no one could tell me what they were for!!! Still got 3gb download per month and so far, signal has been excellent - even through the storm!

28% total of Taxes on all telecommunications services is the Norm/Law, you pay that at all providers, doesn't matter you take Claro/Orange/Viva/tricom etc etc etc.

the 16% ITBIS is just the country's basic Tax on everything, but most Services have specific Taxes on top of the basic ITBIS.

Mike

DRandGR

Aug 27, 2007
What options are there to use online gaming such as XBox 360?? Will it work with a prepaid plan?? Are there othere options for 'wired' internet that can be turned on and off when we are in town??