Network Latency from DR

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
What Is Network Latency?
Bandwidth is just one element of what a person perceives as the speed of a network. Latency is another element that contributes to network speed. The term latency refers to any of several kinds of delays typically incurred in processing of network data. A so-called low latency network connection is one that generally experiences small delay times, while a high latency connection generally suffers from long delays.
Although the theoretical peak bandwidth of a network connection is fixed according to the technology used, the actual bandwidth you will obtain varies over time and is affected by high latencies. Excessive latency creates bottlenecks that prevent data from filling the network pipe, thus decreasing effective bandwidth. The impact of latency on network bandwidth can be temporary (lasting a few seconds) or persistent (constant) depending on the source of the delays.

quote from :
Latencyhttp://compnetworking.about.com/od/speedtests/a/network_latency.htm vs. Bandwidth

While many of you have posted your speed results it is network latency that causes a real problem. Servers time out and you end up with " cannot connects " screen.

Latency from here is extreme to Europe and not good to North America.

Whilst I have tested it for myself and come up with poor figures has anybody else tested this?

I am on De Lancer Cable with 512 kb which goes through Comcast. Sometime I get SD for the Server and sometime Fort Lauderdale which is much better.
I would like comment from other Internet users that have experienced this problem - Speed is not everything - time counts too

OLLY

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
latency is a big problem over here, especially with the claro server in SD... but nobody at Claro's realizes this... so....

welcome to a world where some businesses are run by people who have no idea of what they are doing... and are owned by one of the richest guys in the world... (I bet he does not have a cell or internet contract with his own company...:bunny:)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
latency is a big problem over here, especially with the claro server in SD... but nobody at Claro's realizes this... so....

welcome to a world where some businesses are run by people who have no idea of what they are doing... and are owned by one of the richest guys in the world... (I bet he does not have a cell or internet contract with his own company...:bunny:)
The first problem is local servers and the wiring thereof, not servers in SD.

Claro realizes they have problems. They know what they are doing. Whether they care or have a sense of urgency is another story altogether.

One major problem is the wired infrastructure. Once advanced, it's become antiquated, and like the power grid, there are barrio boys monkeying with it all the time creating problems...

I look forward to Orange wireless coming to the area.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
I was on Orange for 2 years. S-L-O-W with unknowledgeable and arrogant service. Overall, Orange had rotten availability.
Much prefer Codetel (Clar?) for speed and availability. Haven't had to use their 'service' and don't want to as long as everything works reasonably well.